Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sandisk CF extreme vs.ultra II ?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t413160-sandisk-cf-extreme-vs-ultra-ii.html)

SleeperMan 03-20-2005 11:51 AM

Sandisk CF extreme vs.ultra II ??

I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and asked him
about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are currently out of
stock, but he said that in a period of their manufacture, quite a few cards
died and they had to replace them, while as long as he sells Ultra II
series, they didn't have one single case of failure.
I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want to buy 1G card and i
wonder which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty, while Extreme
comes with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know of this failures...).
Sure, Extreme is faster, maybe more to the edge, and this results in often
dying...

ZeHanz 03-20-2005 01:08 PM

Re: Sandisk CF extreme vs.ultra II ??

SleeperMan gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
> I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and asked him
> about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are currently out of
> stock, but he said that in a period of their manufacture, quite a few cards
> died and they had to replace them, while as long as he sells Ultra II series,
> they didn't have one single case of failure.
> I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want to buy 1G card and i wonder
> which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty, while Extreme comes
> with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know of this failures...). Sure,
> Extreme is faster, maybe more to the edge, and this results in often dying...

I bought an Extreme III 1GB CF card in February. Two weeks later it
died. Luckily I managed to get the pictures (60 of them) off the card
with a freeware prog (Zero Assumption Recovery). The Sandisk supplied
rescue program couldn't do this trick!
My camera didn't succeed in formatting the card again. Formatting in
the card reader also failed, because it didn't recognize the card
anymore.
Back in the shop they tried it in another camera, but nothing worked.
They are going to replace it. I am still waiting (3 weeks now) because
they are out of stock :(

--
Groeten,
Hans Roos

[BnH] 03-20-2005 03:08 PM

Re: Sandisk CF extreme vs.ultra II ??

What is your camera ?
Most camera can't even utilise the Sandisk Ultra II speed .. .why bother
buying the Extreme III ?
And I don't think you will plunge into a -13 F area I think ?

=bob=

Mike Mc 03-20-2005 06:29 PM

Re: Sandisk CF extreme vs.ultra II ??

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and asked him
>about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are currently out of
>stock, but he said that in a period of their manufacture, quite a few cards
>died and they had to replace them, while as long as he sells Ultra II
>series, they didn't have one single case of failure.
> I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want to buy 1G card and i
> wonder which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty, while
> Extreme comes with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know of this
> failures...). Sure, Extreme is faster, maybe more to the edge, and this
> results in often dying...

I got free recovery software when I bought a 2GB sandisk ultra II recently.

Charles 03-20-2005 06:54 PM

Re: Sandisk CF extreme vs.ultra II ??

In article <ssd%d.10598$F6.2074745@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

> I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and asked him
> about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are currently out of
> stock, but he said that in a period of their manufacture, quite a few cards
> died and they had to replace them, while as long as he sells Ultra II
> series, they didn't have one single case of failure.

I often notice that when a salesman is out of stock on item they come
up with something negative about the product they don't have in stock
and in favor of what they do have in stock. They want to make the
sale. This happened to me yesterday when I was shopping for digital
camera for my niece. The salesman said something negative about the
camera I prefered that did not make sense. I countered his a statement.
he then admitted he did not have the camera I prefered in stock. I
would take the salesmans statement with a grain of salt.

--
Charles

SleeperMan 03-20-2005 07:28 PM

[BnH] wrote:
> What is your camera ?
> Most camera can't even utilise the Sandisk Ultra II speed .. .why
> bother buying the Extreme III ?
> And I don't think you will plunge into a -13 F area I think ?
>
> =bob=

Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

SleeperMan 03-20-2005 07:29 PM

Mike Mc wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and
>> asked him about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are
>> currently out of stock, but he said that in a period of their
>> manufacture, quite a few cards died and they had to replace them,
>> while as long as he sells Ultra II series, they didn't have one
>> single case of failure. I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want
>> to buy 1G card and
>> i wonder which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty, while
>> Extreme comes with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know of this
>> failures...). Sure, Extreme is faster, maybe more to the edge, and
>> this results in often dying...
>>

> I got free recovery software when I bought a 2GB sandisk ultra II
> recently.

That's good to know...i must ask for this...

SleeperMan 03-20-2005 07:29 PM

SleeperMan 03-20-2005 07:30 PM

SleeperMan wrote:
> Charles wrote:
>> In article <ssd%d.10598$F6.2074745@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan
>> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>>
>>> I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and
>>> asked him about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are
>>> currently out of stock, but he said that in a period of their
>>> manufacture, quite a few cards died and they had to replace them,
>>> while as long as he sells Ultra II series, they didn't have one
>>> single case of failure.

>> I often notice that when a salesman is out of stock on item they come
>> up with something negative about the product they don't have in stock
>> and in favor of what they do have in stock. They want to make the
>> sale. This happened to me yesterday when I was shopping for digital
>> camera for my niece. The salesman said something negative about the
>> camera I prefered that did not make sense. I countered his a
>> statement. he then admitted he did not have the camera I prefered in
>> stock. I would take the salesmans statement with a grain of salt.

ooopsss---sorry---
accidental click...
but, to reply...
he doesn't have either of cards in stock, so i think this judgement was more
or less correct...

SleeperMan 03-20-2005 07:33 PM

ZeHanz wrote:
> SleeperMan gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
>> I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and
>> asked him about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are
>> currently out of stock, but he said that in a period of their
>> manufacture, quite a few cards died and they had to replace them,
>> while as long as he sells Ultra II series, they didn't have one
>> single case of failure. I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want
>> to buy 1G card and
>> i wonder which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty,
>> while Extreme comes with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know
>> of this failures...). Sure, Extreme is faster, maybe more to the
>> edge, and this results in often dying...

> I bought an Extreme III 1GB CF card in February. Two weeks later it
> died. Luckily I managed to get the pictures (60 of them) off the card
> with a freeware prog (Zero Assumption Recovery). The Sandisk supplied
> rescue program couldn't do this trick!
> My camera didn't succeed in formatting the card again. Formatting in
> the card reader also failed, because it didn't recognize the card
> anymore.
> Back in the shop they tried it in another camera, but nothing worked.
> They are going to replace it. I am still waiting (3 weeks now) because
> they are out of stock :(

Damn..
what he said also is that from their internal tests some cameras are
especially sensitive with some devies, like he said they put one card in one
Nikon, took some shots, erase...then later tried some other camera with same
card. Immediately after power-on, card died beyond recovery. They
experienced same behaivour with two cards.