Velocity Reviews

-   -   Long lens for Nikon D100? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t413135-long-lens-for-nikon-d100.html)

Mark2149@cox.net 03-20-2005 01:18 AM

Long lens for Nikon D100?

I am planning a trip for late summer to Greenland and northern Canada.
It was suggested that we will see whales and other ocean life along the
way, and should bring a long lens to get decent images of them. The
longest lens I now own is 85mm, hardly very long even considering the
adjustment for the less-than-35 mm-size sensor in the camera.

I would guess 300 mm should be satisfactory. Nikon wants close to the
price of the whole trip for some of their long lenses (the vibration
stabilization one). Any recommendations for 2nd line lenses that are
more reasonably priced (Sigma. Tokina, etc.)? Or must I talk myself
into a Nikon lens?

Thanks.
Mark Schupack

Basic Wedge 03-20-2005 02:05 AM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

Mark. You could, in effect, "lease" an exotic lens. The key here is that
unique, specialty lenses command great value on eBay. All you need to do is
buy whatever high-end lens meets your needs, then sell it, once the trip is
over. You won't recover all your costs, but I suspect you'd recover enough
to make this strategy work. It would be far more affordable than renting a
long lens from a camera store. I would consider something like the AF-S VR
Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED. If I were a Nikon user, that would be my
dream lens.

Rob

=======================

Mark wrote ...

Dave R knows who 03-20-2005 02:10 AM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

"Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Mark. You could, in effect, "lease" an exotic lens. The key here is that
> unique, specialty lenses command great value on eBay. All you need to do
> is buy whatever high-end lens meets your needs, then sell it, once the
> trip is over. You won't recover all your costs, but I suspect you'd
> recover enough to make this strategy work. It would be far more affordable
> than renting a long lens from a camera store. I would consider something
> like the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED. If I were a Nikon user,
> that would be my dream lens.

Agreed. This has worked very well for me. I had the EF 100-400 for one year
and only lost $200.00. Some have done even better.

Dave R knows who 03-20-2005 02:12 AM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

> Agreed. This has worked very well for me. I had the EF 100-400 for one
> year and only lost $200.00. Some have done even better.

My numbers might help: bought Feb '04 $1450, sold Feb '05 $1250.

Steve Gavette 03-20-2005 03:06 AM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

<Mark2149@cox.net> wrote in message
news:1111281492.178030.63690@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> I am planning a trip for late summer to Greenland and northern Canada.
> It was suggested that we will see whales and other ocean life along the
> way, and should bring a long lens to get decent images of them. The
> longest lens I now own is 85mm, hardly very long even considering the
> adjustment for the less-than-35 mm-size sensor in the camera.
>
> I would guess 300 mm should be satisfactory. Nikon wants close to the
> price of the whole trip for some of their long lenses (the vibration
> stabilization one). Any recommendations for 2nd line lenses that are
> more reasonably priced (Sigma. Tokina, etc.)? Or must I talk myself
> into a Nikon lens?
>
> Thanks.
> Mark Schupack

If you're gettting a lens for a single trip, you might look at renting. In
many cities, there is usually at least one place to rent. Renting can be
risky, make sure you read what you are responsible for in case of
loss/damage. Or get a used one from EBay. I picked up a Nikon 300MM F4 for
$375 in good mechanical/optical condition. It looks pretty used, but works
perfectly. If you make a decent purchase, you could probably resell it on
your return for what you paid, making the use of it almost free. This is of
course assuming you decide not to keep it ;-)

Steve Kramer 03-20-2005 04:39 AM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

"Mark2149@cox.net" wrote:

> I am planning a trip for late summer to Greenland and northern Canada.
> It was suggested that we will see whales and other ocean life along the
> way, and should bring a long lens to get decent images of them. The
> longest lens I now own is 85mm, hardly very long even considering the
> adjustment for the less-than-35 mm-size sensor in the camera.
>
> I would guess 300 mm should be satisfactory. Nikon wants close to the
> price of the whole trip for some of their long lenses (the vibration
> stabilization one). Any recommendations for 2nd line lenses that are
> more reasonably priced (Sigma. Tokina, etc.)? Or must I talk myself
> into a Nikon lens?

While I do love the Nikon 80-400VR and use it often, I agree that it is
a costly lens. But if you are not shooting professionally, why not
consider the Tamron 28-300? (The Tamron 20-200 has better optics but
it's not as long.) It's cheap, very light weight, and takes nice photos.
While not as sharp as the Nikon pro lenses, unless you are selling them,
you most likely won't notice the difference, and it is more than $1,000
cheaper. The 300 end becomes a 450 which should be long enough for most
needs, and you have enough money left over to buy the small Nikon 21-24
which covers the wide angles nicely.

Steve Kramer
"PhotoEnvisions" Freelance Photography
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com
--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons, but in seeing
with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

David J Taylor 03-20-2005 11:48 AM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

Mark2149@cox.net wrote:
> I am planning a trip for late summer to Greenland and northern Canada.
> It was suggested that we will see whales and other ocean life along
> the way, and should bring a long lens to get decent images of them.
> The longest lens I now own is 85mm, hardly very long even considering
> the adjustment for the less-than-35 mm-size sensor in the camera.
>
> I would guess 300 mm should be satisfactory. Nikon wants close to the
> price of the whole trip for some of their long lenses (the vibration
> stabilization one). Any recommendations for 2nd line lenses that are
> more reasonably priced (Sigma. Tokina, etc.)? Or must I talk myself
> into a Nikon lens?

Alternative solution - get a second digital camera (e.g. Panasonic FZ20)
with a VR lens built in. That model has an f/2.8 36 - 432mm Leica zoom.
Costs very little; use and discard after the trip. Having the second
camera is a backup in case of problems with the D100 as well.

Cheers,
David

rwesurfn 03-20-2005 01:43 PM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

<Mark2149@cox.net> wrote in message
news:1111281492.178030.63690@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
>I am planning a trip for late summer to Greenland and northern Canada.
> It was suggested that we will see whales and other ocean life along the
> way, and should bring a long lens to get decent images of them. The
> longest lens I now own is 85mm, hardly very long even considering the
> adjustment for the less-than-35 mm-size sensor in the camera.
>
> I would guess 300 mm should be satisfactory. Nikon wants close to the
> price of the whole trip for some of their long lenses (the vibration
> stabilization one). Any recommendations for 2nd line lenses that are
> more reasonably priced (Sigma. Tokina, etc.)? Or must I talk myself
> into a Nikon lens?
>
> Thanks.
> Mark Schupack

Ebay is sometimes a crap shoot, Try KEH.com for used lenses. I have had
excellent results from them. Even their bargain quality is very good. no
annoying sales calls later, no bait and switch.....nice folks to do business
with

HTH.
Mike

Ken 03-20-2005 03:42 PM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

"rwesurfn" <rwesurfn@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:%5f%d.11789$ju.7996@okepread07...
> Ebay is sometimes a crap shoot, Try KEH.com for used lenses. I have had
> excellent results from them. Even their bargain quality is very good. no
> annoying sales calls later, no bait and switch.....nice folks to do business
> with

I can vouch for KEH as well. Thier used equipment condition rating is on the conservative
side and the lens I purchsed from them was in much better condition that I thought it would
be. Great company to do business with and competative prices to boot.

Ken

cc0112453 03-20-2005 05:01 PM

Re: Long lens for Nikon D100?

I think everyone is on the right track. If you have the extra money you
should go with the resale idea. I don't know why everyone is saying that
you will lose money on the deal. If you loose money it's because you got a
bad deal on the lens. Why should you pay more for it than the next guy? I
can understand with a new lens because it isn't new any more but with a used
lens it should still be worth what you paid for it (all things considered).
I have a D70 and my main lens is a Tamron 24-200. I can't remember the
exact model but it is the better one with the gold ring. It sells for $400
and I bought it on eBay in excellent condition for $200. I have a done a
lot of amateur photography over the years and find it to be a very
satisfactory lens for my family and vacation shots.

Doug