Velocity Reviews

-   -   Issue w/ Intel Centrino Mobile (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4122-issue-w-intel-centrino-mobile.html)

=?Utf-8?B?UlY=?= 08-04-2004 05:31 AM

Issue w/ Intel Centrino Mobile

I recently purchase a laptop ( Gateway M275xL) with Intel Entering Mobile technology. wireless G. I'm having trouble configuring the wireless adapter. I want to force the card to connect at 54mpbs whenever I'm on a wirless G network and 11mpbs when i'm on a B network. I know with other cards you can do this by going to My Network Places >> clicking on the network adapter, >> configure >> Wireless and then setting the transfer rate from there. But For this adapter when I go to the "Wireless" Tab in configure, it tells me to open the Intel Proset software that came with the computer to configure the adapter. When I go to the software, I can't find any option that allows me to set the transfer rate to a ceratain value, does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

RV

Quaoar 08-04-2004 01:22 PM

Re: Issue w/ Intel Centrino Mobile

RV wrote:
> I recently purchase a laptop ( Gateway M275xL) with Intel Entering
> Mobile technology. wireless G. I'm having trouble configuring the
> wireless adapter. I want to force the card to connect at 54mpbs
> whenever I'm on a wirless G network and 11mpbs when i'm on a B
> network. I know with other cards you can do this by going to My
> Network Places >> clicking on the network adapter, >> configure >>
> Wireless and then setting the transfer rate from there. But For this
> adapter when I go to the "Wireless" Tab in configure, it tells me to
> open the Intel Proset software that came with the computer to
> configure the adapter. When I go to the software, I can't find any
> option that allows me to set the transfer rate to a ceratain value,
> does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Thanks
>
> RV

The adapter already "knows" how to manage the transfer rate for -b
and -g, particularly under variable signal strengths and error rates.
Overiding the adapter manually really offers no benefits since under
less than ideal signal levels you will force the adapter to fail a
connection that it otherwise would change the transmission rate to try
to maintain. This is a witting bullet to foot, IMO.