Velocity Reviews

-   -   D70 infrared filters (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t412117-d70-infrared-filters.html)

Darrell 02-16-2005 01:41 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

"Tim" <timpharrison@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1108642846.693744.257210@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
> I have found many online galleries showing the great results that can
> be had from the D70 in this respect, but have been unable to find a
> great deal about what filters are available and who makes them. Do you
> have any experience in this area?
>
> If you are recommending a particular filter, then I'd really appreciate
> knowing where it can be bought (I'm in the UK).

Hoya R72, Ilford SFX, Kodak Wratten 87C are three. The Ilford is the
cheapest, but isn't as deep into IR as the others.

Darrell 02-16-2005 09:14 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

Same reason people shot IR film, artistic reasons...

Robert Austin 02-17-2005 01:47 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

"Tim"wrote in message

> If you are recommending a particular filter, then I'd really appreciate
> knowing where it can be bought (I'm in the UK).

I bought a couple of Hoya R72 filters. I bought one from Jessops and waited
several weeks for it and another second hand from eBay and got it in a
couple of days.

Hope that helps,
Robert.
--
www.robertaustin.co.uk

Owamanga 02-17-2005 02:19 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

On 17 Feb 2005 04:20:46 -0800, "Tim" <timpharrison@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have found many online galleries showing the great results that can
>be had from the D70 in this respect, but have been unable to find a
>great deal about what filters are available and who makes them. Do you
>have any experience in this area?
>
>If you are recommending a particular filter, then I'd really appreciate
>knowing where it can be bought (I'm in the UK).

Buy it online to someone who ships to the UK, or order it from your
local Jessups.

Here are some common IR filters:

Hoya R72
Hoya RM90

Wratten 88A
Wratten 89B
Wratten 87
Wratten 87C
Wratten 70

I'm sure B&W and others make them too.

Each filter has it's own properties, some let visible light in, some
do not, some block different parts of the deep red and IR spectrum.
The darker the filter, the longer the exposure needs to be. In the
case of the 87C a sunny day might need a 1.5sec exposure at 200ISO f/8
due to the number of stops lost by the filter. (These are IR PASS
filters, that block to lessor or more degree, anything but IR)

This site gives you an idea visually of the difference between the
wratten filters:

http://www.photo.net/photo/edscott/ir000020.htm

As I mentioned, some filters let you see *some* visible light through
the lens (R72 for example), allowing you to at least try and focus,
compose the shot etc, others block all visible light (RM90), so you
have to do this blind - or compose first then attach the filter. The
RM90 for example needs about an 11 stop exposure increase.

The final thing you need to decide for the filter, is the diameter
required to fit your lens. If you have the Kit D70 lens, it'll be
67mm. Alternatively look at the Cokin filter system, which will avoid
any vignetting (they use a square filter holder), and their 89B.

IR photography needs more than just a filter. There are different
'good times of day', focussing needs to be adjusted (IR wavelengh is
far off the scale compared to the center of visible light that AF and
your own eyes focus on), tripod is required and good subjects are
difficult to identify because you can't see IR. Shoot RAW, you'll need
to do some post work in PS afterwards and some people recommend
you are shooting RAW anyway).

If you want to go crazy, and convert your D70 in to a much more
responsive infra-red camera, you have to open it up and remove the IR
blocking filter Nikon put on the sensor:
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/d70/ircut.htm

Here is some tips on IR photography with the D70:
http://www.nature-photography-centra...Nikon_D70.html

and here:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/D70_rev05IR.html

and here:
http://www.bythom.com/infrared.htm

General IR tips (time of day etc):
http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo_infrared.htm

--
Owamanga!

Tim 02-17-2005 02:53 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

Sheldon 02-17-2005 05:56 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

Deep Reset 02-17-2005 06:54 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

"Tim" <timpharrison@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1108642846.693744.257210@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
>I have found many online galleries showing the great results that can
> be had from the D70 in this respect, but have been unable to find a
> great deal about what filters are available and who makes them. Do you
> have any experience in this area?
>
> If you are recommending a particular filter, then I'd really appreciate
> knowing where it can be bought (I'm in the UK).

There's a Cokin IR filter - available from Jessops.

Deep.

chidalgo 02-17-2005 09:19 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

Sheldon wrote:

> This is new to me. Why would I want to put an IR filter on my camera?

to do infrared photography. Look on the web for galleries; it does
produce a nice effect on your pictures.

--
chidalgo

Owamanga 02-17-2005 09:46 PM

Re: D70 infrared filters

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:56:37 -0700, "Sheldon"
<sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

>This is new to me. Why would I want to put an IR filter on my camera?

It's an IR Pass filter to block all non-IR (UV & visible light) so
that only IR gets through to the sensor.

It makes for some interesting affects.

Slideshow of example B/W pictures:
http://rickwong.com/IR%20Slides.html

--