Velocity Reviews

-   -   DHCP fails on wireless networks, Is KB313896 still an issue? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t4106-dhcp-fails-on-wireless-networks-is-kb313896-still-an-issue.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgVGFuZ2Vy?= 08-01-2004 06:07 PM

DHCP fails on wireless networks, Is KB313896 still an issue?

I believe that the problems described in KB313896 is still an issue.
KB313896 states that this issue has been fixed in Windows XP service pack 1, but it was either never fixed or has come back again. Basically it is a problem where a wireless network card will connect to a wireless network but be unable to obtain an IP address via DHCP. I have installed all Windows XP patches and updates to date, yet I still experience this problem on a regular basis.

I am a software engineer and was previously an administrator. This issue deserves a new knowledge base article or re-open this issue in KB313896.

The odds of this problem occuring are much greater when using WPA-PSK. The odds of this occuring are also greater when there is interference from nearby wireless networks or the access point signal is less than excellent. It still occurs occasionally when the signal is excellent and there is no interference.

I have seen a large number of recent (post supposed fix) posts on this topic and I encourage anyone else that is experiencing this problem to reply to this post indicating so with any additional details you may have. This needs to be fixed, it is a major problem that inhibits this usability of wirless networks in Windows XP especially when using secure encryption.

- Chris Tanger

Frank 08-03-2004 01:37 AM

Re: DHCP fails on wireless networks, Is KB313896 still an issue?

Try this:
Go to www.cirond.com
Download and install the 30 day trial of their product WinC.
Let it turn off the zero config service and manage the wireless connection.

The first time I did this all my connection problems disappeared right now.
At the end of the 30 day trial I un-installed the product and still had no
problems. Then, on a vacation I tried to connect to a wireless AP in an
airport. No luck as it was not a free service but it something changed in
my laptop's settings. When I got home all my connection problems were back.

I searched and searched the newsgroups for a solution and all I discovered
is that lots of people have a similar problem.

I then went back to cirond.com and bought the program (~$30.00 CAD) and now
am relatively problem free.

There is definitely something though that prevents getting an IP address as
once in a while I still have to disable and re-enable the connection to get
one.

=?Utf-8?B?THVjYSBGLg==?= 08-21-2004 10:23 AM

RE: DHCP fails on wireless networks, Is KB313896 still an issue?

Hi,

same problem here... my network stopped working all of a sudden. I now get a
weird IP address from the DHCP, while I have another laptop attached to the
router that works fine on Win2000...

the odds are that even if I assign a stati IP I can't get access to the
internet or to the router webpage configurator...

I also tried to use the normal network cable to see whether the problem was
coming from the wifi connection, but nope, same problem, so it's the DHCP
that really assigns a stupid IP address

I'll try the solution posted below, fingers crossed...

ciao Luca

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWUgTi4=?= 08-23-2004 12:33 AM

Re: DHCP fails on wireless networks, Is KB313896 still an issue?

Hi Chris. After spending countless hours trying to find a config problem, I
ran across your article which describes my problem exactly. I tried the WinC
option with no luck. I installed XP SP2 with no luck (although no additional
problems that I've noticed.) I guess my last resort will be to disable DHCP
but considering things had been working without problem for months, I would
rather fix the problem.

Have you had any success with other fixes?

Marie N.

Dr Reinhard W Rasche 08-23-2004 09:00 AM

Re: DHCP fails on wireless networks, Is KB313896 still an issue?

FWIW: I have this very issue with XP SP2!

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] 08-23-2004 09:45 AM

Re: DHCP fails on wireless networks, Is KB313896 still an issue?

I've seen this problems with specific wireless network cards (and
routers). New drivers and firmware updates resolved the issue for me.

In my case, I had this experience with the MN-700 where DHCP would
fail to retrive an IP at times (did not matter what the wirelss NIC
was) and a firmware upgrade resolved the issue.

Also saw issues with a MS wireless client NIC that new drivers fixed.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Dr Reinhard W Rasche 08-23-2004 02:55 PM

Re: DHCP fails on wireless networks, Is KB313896 still an issue?

My setup:
- ZyXEL ZyWALL 2WE router (wireless disabled),
- ZyXEL ZyAIR G-1000 access point,
- Sony PCWA-C300S client card (Atheros-based)
all equipment running most recent firmware, drivers.

Resetting the TCP/IP stack using "netsh init ip reset" in most cases clears
things up.