Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mac vs. pc for photo work (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t410408-mac-vs-pc-for-photo-work.html)

Howard 01-21-2005 06:37 AM

Mac vs. pc for photo work

I'm an old pc person but tempted by the new mac stuff. I just looked at
Picasa and was impressed. On the other hand, I keep hearing how wonderful
the Mac osX is on media stuff, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Best,
Howie

chris 01-21-2005 06:49 AM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

Howard wrote:
> I'm an old pc person but tempted by the new mac stuff. I just looked at
> Picasa and was impressed. On the other hand, I keep hearing how wonderful
> the Mac osX is on media stuff, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Best,
> Howie

OSX is easier to use but for photo editing, there isn't any advantage as
long as you use good software, such as photoshop. I have a powerbook but
I hardly think of using it at home. I do everything on my WinXP PC. If I
had the money, I'd upgrade my current Athlon XP desktop to Athlon64 and
would cost less than a Mac mini. If you're thinking of the Mac mini, be
forwarned that it's based on ibook, i.e. very slow with no memory cache,
and need to increase the memory to at least 5120MB. It has no keyboard
and mouse. If you want an exotic OS, go for it but it's going to be very
slow. You get what you pay for. As for iMac, I don't see why I want to
have an expensive LCD built into a CPU that I certainly want to upgrade
the speed every two years.

Steven Hook 01-21-2005 06:52 AM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

"Howard" <wettstein@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3r1Id.1631$r27.342@newsread1.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
> I'm an old pc person but tempted by the new mac stuff. I just looked at
> Picasa and was impressed. On the other hand, I keep hearing how wonderful
> the Mac osX is on media stuff, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Best,
> Howie

Hi,
I prefer PC, cheaper, more versatile, personal preference tho, Mac OsX takes
QUITE some getting used to!
lots of the Bureau staff in our office have a Mac and PC each, and seem to
prefer the PCs too (we do scans, printing, bureau and repro)
The choice is yours, it seems to be more about personal preference than one
system being better than another :-)
Steven

Kevin McMurtrie 01-21-2005 07:04 AM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

In article <3r1Id.1631$r27.342@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
"Howard" <wettstein@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm an old pc person but tempted by the new mac stuff. I just looked at
> Picasa and was impressed. On the other hand, I keep hearing how wonderful
> the Mac osX is on media stuff, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Best,
> Howie

Go to an Apple store and play with a desktop Mac to see if it's right
for you. Recently MS has been catching up in their GUI while Apple has
been catching up in their bug count.

The dual proc G5 desktops are elegant marvels of engineering but their
age is showing and their prices are still high. They're probably not a
good buy unless they have a specific feature that you need - low noise,
Unix OS, digital A/V, etc.

Howard 01-21-2005 07:10 AM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

Culd you say a bit more about the G5's.How are they showing their age? Is
there stuff in the PC world that improves on those age-deficiencies?
Thanks again.
Howie

Dutch Flyer 01-21-2005 07:11 AM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

"Howard" <wettstein@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3r1Id.1631$r27.342@newsread1.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
> I'm an old pc person but tempted by the new mac stuff. I just looked at
> Picasa and was impressed. On the other hand, I keep hearing how wonderful
> the Mac osX is on media stuff, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Best,
> Howie

I work with XP and OSX machines every day and if it was my money I would
fo with a PC. PCs are faster, cheaper and easy to upgrade.

Randall Ainsworth 01-21-2005 03:41 PM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

In article <3r1Id.1631$r27.342@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
Howard <wettstein@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm an old pc person but tempted by the new mac stuff. I just looked at
> Picasa and was impressed. On the other hand, I keep hearing how wonderful
> the Mac osX is on media stuff, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm a Mac person but use PCs at work (but they make me feel dirty) :-)

You can do well with either platform, but once you've seen an used OS X
you'll see what a pathetic piece of **** that Windows eXtra Pitiful
really is.

C Wright 01-21-2005 04:03 PM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

On 1/21/05 12:37 AM, in article
3r1Id.1631$r27.342@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.ne t, "Howard"
<wettstein@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm an old pc person but tempted by the new mac stuff. I just looked at
> Picasa and was impressed. On the other hand, I keep hearing how wonderful
> the Mac osX is on media stuff, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Best,
> Howie

If it is suggestions and opinions that you want, Mac vs. PC, you'll get
plenty of them here! Here is mine:
I use both a PC (that boots both Win XP and Linux) and a Mac dual G5. I
prefer the Mac, not only for photography but for everyday use as well.
Photoshop will use both processors on the G5 and it is noticeably faster at
carrying out various filter actions. [as an fyi I owned the PC version of
Photoshop prior to getting the Mac but Adobe sent me the full Mac version at
no additional cost in return for a statement that I was switching platforms]
Another opinion - the head of the photography department at our local
college uses both PC's and Mac's as well and prefers the Macs.
That said, if you are expecting a night and day difference, it isn't there,
it is mostly which experience and interface you prefer. If you live near an
Apple store, or any store the carries Macs, I would go play with one and see
what you think.
A couple of other comments: One person said the G5 was dated, or something
similar. That is just plain wrong. The G5 is very fast and OS 10.3 is an
extremely up to date OS - ahead of XP in my view. Another person said that
if it is the Mini that is tempting you don't go that way. With that I would
agree. As a computer for surfing the Internet and email and light duty
document work the Mini would be great. But for heavy duty photo work you
would be asking a lot of the Mini.
Chuck

Pete Fenelon 01-21-2005 04:32 PM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

C Wright <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:
> That said, if you are expecting a night and day difference, it isn't there,
> it is mostly which experience and interface you prefer. If you live near an
> Apple store, or any store the carries Macs, I would go play with one and see
> what you think.

....particularly as Adobe are making their interface on the PC more and
more Mac-like. Elements 3 is very un-Windowsy.

> A couple of other comments: One person said the G5 was dated, or something
> similar. That is just plain wrong. The G5 is very fast and OS 10.3 is an
> extremely up to date OS - ahead of XP in my view. Another person said that
> if it is the Mini that is tempting you don't go that way. With that I would
> agree. As a computer for surfing the Internet and email and light duty
> document work the Mini would be great. But for heavy duty photo work you
> would be asking a lot of the Mini.

I have a mini on order, I don't expect it to match my 2.1 GHz Athlon for
photo editing work, but as you said that's not what it's there for -
it's a computer designed for consuming not producing ;)

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Howard 01-21-2005 06:21 PM

Re: Mac vs. pc for photo work

Hi Chuck,
Interesting that you mentioned philosophy, my field. Thanks for the
good advice and information. I'm intrigued by the Mac, and annoyed by
various glitches and complications in the PC world, which I have always
been in. I'm thinking about a G5 with a big screen. Anyway, if you have
further thoughts, please pass them along. One thing: could you say a
word about how OSX helps with organizing photos and the like. Also,
networking, if you know about that. I'm having all sorts of headaches
with Windows networking.
Howie