Velocity Reviews

-   -   modifying route metric with ospf (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t41036-modifying-route-metric-with-ospf.html)

phil41 09-28-2005 05:22 PM

modifying route metric with ospf

Hello,

I need to modify the metric of network routes announced by a ospf
router.
For exemple, half of the announced routes with metric 10 and the other
half with metric 20.
For that, I'm using route-map and it's ok for all network matching
rules except those defined in the router ospf instruction:

router ospf 1
redistribute connected subnets route-map routes_cnx
redistribute static subnets route-map routes_stats
network 172.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
network 172.1.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
network 192.168.254.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

Is there a way to put a different metric to each network defined in
router ospf 1 ?

Thanks for your help

Doan 09-28-2005 10:09 PM

Re: modifying route metric with ospf

On 28 Sep 2005, phil41 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to modify the metric of network routes announced by a ospf
> router.
> For exemple, half of the announced routes with metric 10 and the other
> half with metric 20.
> For that, I'm using route-map and it's ok for all network matching
> rules except those defined in the router ospf instruction:
>
> router ospf 1
> redistribute connected subnets route-map routes_cnx
> redistribute static subnets route-map routes_stats
> network 172.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
> network 172.1.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
> network 192.168.254.1 0.0.0.0 area 0
>

> Is there a way to put a different metric to each network defined in
> router ospf 1 ?
>
> Thanks for your help

In OSPF, the metric is based on the bandwidth of the interfaces. The
default is 10*8/BW. You can change this with "ip ospf cost" under
the interface configuration.

Doan

cisco 09-29-2005 01:14 AM

Re: modifying route metric with ospf

i could be wrong but you should be trying to modify the metric on the
receing router . route map is the correct way to do it . e

phil41 09-29-2005 01:36 PM

Re: modifying route metric with ospf

Yes but metric will be the same for the 3 networks and I need to put
distinct metrics for them.

Phil

phil41 09-29-2005 01:37 PM

Re: modifying route metric with ospf

I can't, the receiver is my provider router.

Phil

cisco 09-29-2005 04:01 PM

Re: modifying route metric with ospf

ok

why not just use the keyword "metric"

let say for example you want your static to be redistributed with a
metric of 10

router ospf 1
redistribute static metric 10 subnets

Merv 09-29-2005 06:15 PM

Re: modifying route metric with ospf

The short answer is no.

What is the routing problem that you are trying to solve ???

phil41 09-30-2005 01:07 PM

Re: modifying route metric with ospf

I'm migrating my company sites internework from Frame Relay to an
operator MPLS network.
For each location, I have several internal networks and custumer access
points.
Actually, each network is static routed by the operator through the
MPLS backbone.
The objective is to expend my ospf routing over the mpls.

For each location I have the following
myrouter1-CE1-PE1
myrouter2-CE2-PE2

myrouter1-2 and CE1-CE2 are in the same ospf area.
myrouter1 and 2 are in HSRP and have the same networks and route
declared.

For load sharing and backup purpose, my operator ask me to modify the
metric for half of the routes announced by myrouter1 and myrouter2:
myrouter1 routelist1 metric 10
myrouter1 routelist2 metric 20
myrouter2 routelist1 metric 20
myrouter2 routelist2 metric 10

I can do that for static and connected subnet with route-map but not
for networks declared in the router ospf command.

Doan 09-30-2005 05:23 PM

On 30 Sep 2005, phil41 wrote:

> I'm migrating my company sites internework from Frame Relay to an
> operator MPLS network.
> For each location, I have several internal networks and custumer access
> points.
> Actually, each network is static routed by the operator through the
> MPLS backbone.
> The objective is to expend my ospf routing over the mpls.
>
> For each location I have the following
> myrouter1-CE1-PE1
> myrouter2-CE2-PE2
>
> myrouter1-2 and CE1-CE2 are in the same ospf area.
> myrouter1 and 2 are in HSRP and have the same networks and route
> declared.
>
> For load sharing and backup purpose, my operator ask me to modify the
> metric for half of the routes announced by myrouter1 and myrouter2:
> myrouter1 routelist1 metric 10
> myrouter1 routelist2 metric 20
> myrouter2 routelist1 metric 20
> myrouter2 routelist2 metric 10
>
> I can do that for static and connected subnet with route-map but not
> for networks declared in the router ospf command.

I don't think you can do that within ospf. Since both routers are in
the same area, they share the same database. One solution might be
to run another routing protocol for those networks and then redistribute
them into ospf using route-maps just as you did with the static and
conntected subnets.

Doan

Merv 09-30-2005 05:38 PM

Re: modifying route metric with ospf

You perhaps need to have further discussion with your MPLS provider
about the pros and cons of the variosu MPLS CE-PE routing protocols.

For example, what the provider is asking you to do would be trivial if
BGP were the MPLS CE-PE routing protocol. However that may mean
redistributing your OSPF routes into BGP.