Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sigma Lenses (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t410074-sigma-lenses.html)

Tom 01-12-2005 04:21 PM

Sigma Lenses

I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.

Thanks,

Tom d.

Steve Wolfe 01-12-2005 06:26 PM

Re: Sigma Lenses

> I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
> should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
> pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.

Like any manufacturer, Sigma has good and bad lenses, it depends on the
model - and occasionally, on the individual sample that you get. Also,
there are inherant trade-offs in lens design (such as
resolution-vs-contrast) which make the decision come down to preference or
application, not just which lens (or brand!) is "better".

Decide what you want to use the lens for, decide on parameters and price
range, and look at your options from all manufacturers, including as many
first-hand reviews as you can find, then make your decision.

steve

Jeremy 01-12-2005 07:46 PM

Re: Sigma Lenses

"Tom" <anntomdo@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
> should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
> pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom d.

You claim to own a Leica, and you are asking a question that is phrased in
such general terms that no one could possibly give you a response that makes
sense?

What focal length, what exactly do you mean by "good quality," will the lens
be used only occasionally or will you be subjecting it to rigorous use?

Are you trolling?

Steve Wolfe 01-13-2005 12:42 AM

Re: Sigma Lenses

> You claim to own a Leica, and you are asking a question that is phrased in
> such general terms that no one could possibly give you a response that

makes
> sense?

There are plenty of people with money to burn who plop down a lot of money
on the nicest cameras they can purchase, yet aren't very serious about
photography. : )

steve

Skip M 01-14-2005 12:24 AM

Re: Sigma Lenses

"Tom" <anntomdo@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
>should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
>pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom d.

If you want good quality, and your standards are based on Leica cameras, it
is probably best to shy away from Sigma. They do produce some good lenses,
but it takes some weeding through the chaff (to mix metaphors) to get the
right ones. Stick with Nikkor...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

MarkČ 01-14-2005 03:06 AM

Re: Sigma Lenses

"Tom" <anntomdo@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
> should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
> pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom d.

Leica and Sigma are about as polar-extreme from each other than any two lens
manufacturers you could name.

Leica:
Uncompromising attention to detail, build, and optical quality--marketed to
folks who love expensive things...tends to attract a mixture of excellent
photographers along with wealthy folks who know nothing but that they like
buying expensive stuff.

Sigma:
Compromised on serious and numerous levels in order to be inexpensive (save
for a few optical exceptions) including problems with build-quality, major
problems with future body compatability, reliability, handling,
service--marketed to those who place low price as a high priority.

Sigmites may squeal, here, but there is a reason why Sigma costs less than
Canon & Nikon.