Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t409810-cleaning-print-heads-on-a-canon-i950.html)

jean 01-06-2005 04:54 AM

Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950?

My I950 performed quite well until a few weeks ago when it started to miss
some lines. I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are a
few still not firing.

What would be the best method of cleaning the heads? Is this common with
Canon printers?

TIA

Jean

Gary Eickmeier 01-06-2005 05:31 AM

Re: Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950?

jean wrote:
> My I950 performed quite well until a few weeks ago when it started to miss
> some lines. I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
> distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are a
> few still not firing.
>
> What would be the best method of cleaning the heads? Is this common with
> Canon printers?

Are you sure the heads are aligned properly? Go to Printers, Properties,
Maintenance and do the alignment procedure. It would at least tell you
if there is a pattern that is smooth and line free.

Sorry if you're way ahead of me.

Gary Eickmeier

Keith Sheppard 01-06-2005 10:32 AM

Re: Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950?

>>I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
>>distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are a
>>few still not firing.

If all else fails, remember that print heads on the Canon are a consumer
replaceable item. They are quite expensive. I seem to recall a price of
around 80 British pounds here in the UK last time I looked. Try Gary's
alignment suggestions first.

Keith

jean 01-06-2005 03:14 PM

"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:p24Dd.182987$8G4.113963@tornado.tampabay.rr.c om...

> jean wrote:
> > My I950 performed quite well until a few weeks ago when it started to

miss
> > some lines. I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
> > distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are

> > few still not firing.
> >
> > What would be the best method of cleaning the heads? Is this common

with
> > Canon printers?

> Are you sure the heads are aligned properly? Go to Printers, Properties,
> Maintenance and do the alignment procedure. It would at least tell you
> if there is a pattern that is smooth and line free.

Yes, checked that everytime I removed and replaced the head.

Jean

jean 01-06-2005 03:20 PM

"Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> a écrit dans le message de
> >>I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
> >>distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are

> >>few still not firing.

> If all else fails, remember that print heads on the Canon are a consumer
> replaceable item. They are quite expensive. I seem to recall a price of
> around 80 British pounds here in the UK last time I looked. Try Gary's
> alignment suggestions first.

I know, I missed the post christmas sales for a new printer at $99 while a
print head is way more expensive than that. My old BJC8200's print head
went bad, replacement cost of the head was only a few dollars less than a
new printer, that is why I bought the i950. After two heads going bad, I
may just go and get something else like an Epson. I liked the fact the
Canon printers had separate ink tanks but if the heads don't last that long,
then it's a bad criteria for choosing a printer.

Jean

Bob Bailin 01-06-2005 04:59 PM

"jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
news:NKcDd.48798$P%3.1844301@news20.bellglobal.com ...

> "Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> a écrit dans le message de

are

> > If all else fails, remember that print heads on the Canon are a consumer
> > replaceable item. They are quite expensive. I seem to recall a price

of
> > around 80 British pounds here in the UK last time I looked. Try Gary's
> > alignment suggestions first.

> I know, I missed the post christmas sales for a new printer at $99 while a
> print head is way more expensive than that. My old BJC8200's print head
> went bad, replacement cost of the head was only a few dollars less than a
> new printer, that is why I bought the i950. After two heads going bad, I
> may just go and get something else like an Epson. I liked the fact the
> Canon printers had separate ink tanks but if the heads don't last that

long,
> then it's a bad criteria for choosing a printer.

Just went thru the same thing with my friend's i950. Cleaning in distilled
water, the only practical solution, only made things worse. A new printhead
is $85; a new i950 or i960 is only slightly more expensive, about $125-150,
and you get 6 new ink cartridges to boot.

I can't complain, however, because over the past couple of years, the
savings
we've achieved due to the separate ink tanks more than made up for the
price of a new printhead. But since my friend's photo printing requirements
have become more critical, we're going with a new i9900 instead. Eventually,
I'll get a new printhead if I can find one more cheaply on Ebay. As for the
new i9900, we're also getting an extended 3-yr warranty from Canon for $135,
essentially pre-paying for the printhead that will eventually need
replacement
on this one, too.

Bob

measekite 01-06-2005 09:19 PM

Re: Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950?

Have you ever used non Canon brand of inks?

jean 01-07-2005 01:45 AM

Re: Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950?

Of course, the colors printed fine however I never could get the blacks to
print correctly so I buy Canon black cartriges, guess what I have one black
nozzle which does not work as well as a couple of magenta the others are OK.
It takes a single non working nozzle to ruin a print.

Jean

news:QXhDd.7184$wZ2.2403@newssvr13.news.prodigy.co m...

jean 01-07-2005 01:46 AM

"Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> a écrit dans le message de

> "jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
> news:NKcDd.48798$P%3.1844301@news20.bellglobal.com ...
> >
> > "Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> a écrit dans le message de

> are
> > >
> > > If all else fails, remember that print heads on the Canon are a

consumer
> > > replaceable item. They are quite expensive. I seem to recall a price

> of
> > > around 80 British pounds here in the UK last time I looked. Try

Gary's
> > > alignment suggestions first.

> > I know, I missed the post christmas sales for a new printer at $99 while

> > print head is way more expensive than that. My old BJC8200's print head
> > went bad, replacement cost of the head was only a few dollars less than

> > new printer, that is why I bought the i950. After two heads going bad,

> > may just go and get something else like an Epson. I liked the fact the
> > Canon printers had separate ink tanks but if the heads don't last that

> long,
> > then it's a bad criteria for choosing a printer.

> Just went thru the same thing with my friend's i950. Cleaning in distilled
> water, the only practical solution, only made things worse. A new

printhead
> is $85; a new i950 or i960 is only slightly more expensive, about

$125-150,
> and you get 6 new ink cartridges to boot.
>
> I can't complain, however, because over the past couple of years, the
> savings
> we've achieved due to the separate ink tanks more than made up for the
> price of a new printhead. But since my friend's photo printing

requirements
> have become more critical, we're going with a new i9900 instead.

Eventually,
> I'll get a new printhead if I can find one more cheaply on Ebay. As for

the
> new i9900, we're also getting an extended 3-yr warranty from Canon for

$135,
> essentially pre-paying for the printhead that will eventually need
> replacement
> on this one, too.

The extended warranty I was offered on my i950 did not cover the heads
otherwise I would have taken it.

Jean

Keith Sheppard 01-07-2005 09:30 AM

Re: Cleaning print heads on a Canon i950?

Second attempt to send. Apologies if you get it twice...