Velocity Reviews

-   -   ? Green dot in middle of photo ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t409611-green-dot-in-middle-of-photo.html)

NadCixelsyd 01-01-2005 08:17 PM

? Green dot in middle of photo ?

I have a two+ year old Nikon 995. For the last month, there has been a green
dot near the center of every photograph. It appears to be a single pixel and
always in the same location. The pixels immediately surrounding the green dot
are slightly off-color from the surrounding pixels.

Is this repairable or should I kiss it off and get a new camera? If I get a
new camera, where do I find comparisons of what's available in 2005?

Michael Schnell 01-01-2005 08:37 PM

Re: ? Green dot in middle of photo ?

all sensors have dead or sticky pixels. The camera software has a list
of same and replaces them with a similar color as the surrounding
pixels. In the factory they can update this list.

-Michael

David J Taylor 01-01-2005 09:19 PM

Michael Schnell wrote:
> all sensors have dead or sticky pixels. The camera software has a list
> of same and replaces them with a similar color as the surrounding
> pixels. In the factory they can update this list.

Or you can do it yourself for the Nikon 995 with this software:

http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

and perhaps:

http://www.charliex.net/cpix/cpix.htm

(version V2.4 worked on my 990, USB connection)

Cheers,
David

Michael Schnell 01-01-2005 11:53 PM

Re: ? Green dot in middle of photo ?

> Or you can do it yourself for the Nikon 995 with this software:
>
> http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm
>
> and perhaps:
>
> http://www.charliex.net/cpix/cpix.htm

Great !

Is something like this available for other cameras, too ? (I could use
it for D70 and D100)

-Michael

David J Taylor 01-02-2005 10:40 AM

Michael Schnell wrote:
>> Or you can do it yourself for the Nikon 995 with this software:
>>
>> http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm
>>
>> and perhaps:
>>
>> http://www.charliex.net/cpix/cpix.htm
>>

> Great !
>
> Is something like this available for other cameras, too ? (I could use
> it for D70 and D100)
>
> -Michael

Those programs work with a variety of cameras - check their Web pages. In
the case of the Nikon Coolpix range, the "determine bad pixels and remap
them" is a function built into the firmware but not made accessible to the
user menus. The programs simply call up this function. If the Nikon DSLR
designers have shared code with the Coolpix folk, perhaps the same is true
there? You could ask the program authors.

Cheers,
David