Velocity Reviews

-   -   Difference Between Collision and Broadcast Domain. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t40923-difference-between-collision-and-broadcast-domain.html)

PyramidAsh 09-21-2005 04:52 AM

Difference Between Collision and Broadcast Domain.

Hello All,
I have a little bit comfusion regarding collision domain and
broadcast domain. Hope friends you will clarify my doubts.

Query : - Switches Breaks up collision domain on each port ?

My Queries: -

Condition 1: -
Suppose we have a 24 port switch and PCs are connected on each
port. Then How much collision domain and broadcast domain the switch
will have ?

Condition 2: -
Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 12 switches
connected on every single port of switch1 with PCs connected on every
single daughter switch. Then can we say that there would be different
collision domain on every port of switch1. Then what about broadcast
domains?

Condition 3: -
Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 6 switches
connected on 6 ports of switch1 with PCs connected on every single
daughter switch and PCs directly connected to Switch1. Then How many
collision and broadcast domain will there be ?

Walter Roberson 09-21-2005 05:22 AM

Re: Difference Between Collision and Broadcast Domain.

In article <1127278360.964492.308510@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
PyramidAsh <ashish.charde@gmail.com> wrote:
: I have a little bit comfusion regarding collision domain and
:broadcast domain. Hope friends you will clarify my doubts.

:Query : - Switches Breaks up collision domain on each port ?

Yes, unless perchance the switch has been configured to operate as
a hub amongst those ports. [I don't think I've ever encountered
a switch that allowed that!]

:My Queries: -

:Condition 2: -
: Suppose we have a 12 port switch1 (root switch) and 12 switches
:connected on every single port of switch1 with PCs connected on every
:single daughter switch. Then can we say that there would be different
:collision domain on every port of switch1. Then what about broadcast
:domains?

Urrr, your question phrasing is starting to look like homework
assignments...

What you need to know about broadcast domains is that:

a) a switch can allow conversations between different collision
domains that form part of the same broadcast domain

b) a router can allow conversations between different broadcast
domains

c) VLANs in theory are a layer above broadcast domains, but in
practice it is uncommon for them to be used at that level: they
are usually used instead as a layer above collision domains.
[Cisco's feature that allows VLANs to be above broadcast
domains is "VRF", Virtual Router Facility.]
--
Goedel's Mail Filter Incompleteness Theorem:
In any sufficiently expressive language, with any fixed set of