Velocity Reviews

-   -   Best bang for the buck? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t409051-best-bang-for-the-buck.html)

Jack Dotson 12-19-2004 02:43 PM

Best bang for the buck?

Hello all, first time poster here. I'm looking to get a good digital camera
for my wife for Christmas, but know very little about these camera's. I
would like to get her something that is fairly compact, easy to use (she
will point and shoot only, anything else and she wont use it), with good
picture quality being the most important and we may make prints as large as
8X10. The top of my spending range would be $400, but I'd like to spend
about $300 or less if possible.

Thanks

Rudy Benner 12-19-2004 02:48 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

Does it have to colour coordinate with her purse? Sorry, I could not resist.
{bad dog}

I am happy with my Canon A85.

Fletis Humplebacker 12-19-2004 03:29 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

"Jack Dotson"
> Hello all, first time poster here. I'm looking to get a good digital camera
> for my wife for Christmas, but know very little about these camera's. I
> would like to get her something that is fairly compact, easy to use (she
> will point and shoot only, anything else and she wont use it), with good
> picture quality being the most important and we may make prints as large as
> 8X10. The top of my spending range would be $400, but I'd like to spend
> about $300 or less if possible.
>
> Thanks

Depends on the wifey, there's cameras that do more than
others but if it was me I'd at least consider the new slim
Casio. Saw one yesterday at Circus City, 3.2 megapixels
with fairly generous zooming. You can get more resolution
and function for the money so it depends on performance
vs. convienience. I'm tempted to get one of these myself.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sharperi...est/co743.html

TAFKAB 12-19-2004 03:34 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

Take a look at the Canon A85, Sony P73, and Nikon 4200 for starters. There's
lots of choices in that price range. Go to www.dpreview for product
comparisons and reviews.

leo 12-19-2004 03:35 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

Rudy Benner wrote:
> Does it have to colour coordinate with her purse? Sorry, I could not resist.
> {bad dog}
>
> I am happy with my Canon A85.
>
> "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hello all, first time poster here. I'm looking to get a good digital
>>camera for my wife for Christmas, but know very little about these
>>camera's. I would like to get her something that is fairly compact, easy
>>to use (she will point and shoot only, anything else and she wont use it),
>>with good picture quality being the most important and we may make prints
>>as large as 8X10. The top of my spending range would be $400, but I'd
>>like to spend about $300 or less if possible.
>>
>>Thanks

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7.

I have never used that camera but it has good spec. and image
stabailizer and large display. It looks decent, though not exactly
fashionable and most important, it fits your budget.

Rudy Benner 12-19-2004 03:41 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

Try http://www.dpreview.com/

Fletis Humplebacker 12-19-2004 03:42 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

"Fletis Humplebacker"

> "Jack Dotson"
> > Hello all, first time poster here. I'm looking to get a good digital camera
> > for my wife for Christmas, but know very little about these camera's. I
> > would like to get her something that is fairly compact, easy to use (she
> > will point and shoot only, anything else and she wont use it), with good
> > picture quality being the most important and we may make prints as large as
> > 8X10. The top of my spending range would be $400, but I'd like to spend
> > about $300 or less if possible.
> >
> > Thanks

> Depends on the wifey, there's cameras that do more than
> others but if it was me I'd at least consider the new slim
> Casio. Saw one yesterday at Circus City, 3.2 megapixels
> with fairly generous zooming. You can get more resolution
> and function for the money so it depends on performance
> vs. convienience. I'm tempted to get one of these myself.
>
> http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sharperi...est/co743.html

Here's a review :
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/ex-s100.html

Jack Dotson 12-19-2004 04:00 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in message
> Does it have to colour coordinate with her purse? Sorry, I could not
> resist. {bad dog}

Absolutely, that goes without saying! :-)

teflon 12-19-2004 04:56 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

On 19/12/04 2:43 pm, in article qsgxd.59107$2e.37985@fe2.texas.rr.com, "Jack
Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote:

> Hello all, first time poster here. I'm looking to get a good digital camera
> for my wife for Christmas, but know very little about these camera's. I
> would like to get her something that is fairly compact, easy to use (she
> will point and shoot only, anything else and she wont use it), with good
> picture quality being the most important and we may make prints as large as
> 8X10. The top of my spending range would be $400, but I'd like to spend
> about $300 or less if possible.
>
> Thanks

The new Olympus mju's look good. Small camera. Big screen. Choice of colors.

Andy 12-19-2004 05:04 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck?

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:29:19 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote:

>Depends on the wifey, there's cameras that do more than
>others but if it was me I'd at least consider the new slim
>Casio. Saw one yesterday at Circus City, 3.2 megapixels
>with fairly generous zooming. You can get more resolution
>and function for the money so it depends on performance
>vs. convienience. I'm tempted to get one of these myself.
>
>http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sharperi...est/co743.html

One thing to note about this camera is that there is no viewfinder, you have to
rely on the rear screen to frame images. My Dad bought a Minolta X31 which has
a similar setup and he found it very difficult to use outdoors.

Andy