Velocity Reviews

-   -   battery question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t408971-battery-question.html)

Cliffy 12-17-2004 05:10 PM

battery question

I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

Uno Hoo! 12-17-2004 05:18 PM

Re: battery question

"Cliffy" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
>camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
>their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
>the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
>standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

How old are the batteries? Re-chargeable batteries have a finite life and
eventually begin to fail and lose their charge rapidly. If this is the case
then just throw them away and replace them - they are cheap enough. If the
batteries are fairly new then I would suggest that you have problems with
the charger - Ni-Mh batteries should not lose power as rapidly as this.

Kev

punk 12-17-2004 05:30 PM

Re: battery question

Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride batteries
lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out of
the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
batteries are much better that way.

Ken Weitzel 12-17-2004 05:39 PM

Re: battery question

Cliffy wrote:
> I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
> camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
> their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
> the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
> standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

Hi...

Something's terrible wrong with either your batteries or
your charger. Given that you've two sets of batteries
most likely your charger. After only a week they should
be virtually still fully charged.

Unless that is, you've mixed the sets of batteries - and
one "set" of four is on it's last legs, but mixed in so as
to be some of in each set.

For a start, how about asking a friend or neighbor to
charge them up for you - perhaps eliminate the charger
as a suspect.

Should that fail, know it's a bad time of the year, but if
the budget permits, try a new set of four batteries.
(and if it hasn't been your practice so far; mark these
as a set with a bit of tape or a marker pen - then use them
and charge them only as a set)

Hope this helps.

Ken

Ken Weitzel 12-17-2004 05:44 PM

Re: battery question

punk wrote:

> Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride batteries
> lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out of
> the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
> batteries are much better that way.

Hi Punk... (somehow that doesn't feel right :)

I agree that they do self-discharge as all batteries do;
but I think that 1% per day is greatly exaggerated...

Nevertheless, even if it were fact; then instead of
going out and taking a couple hundred pics, he'd be
down to only 186... hardly noticable.

Take care.

Ken

Steve Wolfe 12-17-2004 06:07 PM

Re: battery question

> > Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride
batteries
> > lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out

of
> > the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
> > batteries are much better that way.

> Hi Punk... (somehow that doesn't feel right :)
>
> I agree that they do self-discharge as all batteries do;
> but I think that 1% per day is greatly exaggerated...

NiMH batteries have some interesting drawbacks, here's a good URL:

Couple the facts that NiMH batteries are only good for about 500 cycles,
deep discharges shorten battery life, and that they can self-discharge 15%
to 20% within the first day, and with moderate use, it doesn't take terribly
long before you're just not getting much use out of them.

I have a good number of AA NiMH batteries that I've used on my digital
camera (light to moderate duty) for about two years, and they still work -
but don't hold nearly as much as when new, and if I want a lot of use out of
them, I have to grab them straight from the charger.

steve

MTBike1970 12-17-2004 06:08 PM

Re: battery question

"Cliffy" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
> camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
> their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

use
> the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
> standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

here are a couple of websites if you want to read up on this topic...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

http://www.buchmann.ca/

cheers...MTB

Ronald Hands 12-17-2004 06:33 PM

Re: battery question

> Cliffy wrote:
>
>> I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
>> camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries
>> loose their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I
>> want to use the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone
>> and so are the standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to
>> have a ready camera?

I have three sets of NiMH batteries that I use in two Canon powershot
cameras (4 AAs in each case). One set is from LenMar (came with my
charger); one is Optex; the third set is from Eveready Energizer. The
Energizers have never held a decent charge. In fact, they seem to
perform about the same as the ones you are complaining about. Mine are
supposedly 1850 maH and are made in Japan. They test fine after
charging; they just don't have any stamina. The other battery sets work
just fine.
In your case, I think it would be worth trying a set from a different
manufacturer.

-- Ron

Charles Schuler 12-17-2004 10:45 PM

Re: battery question

"Cliffy" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
>camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
>their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
>the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
>standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

Although NiMH cells are noted for their high self-discharge rate, I'd say
yours might be defective. Generally, they are still useful after 1 month of
non-use (at room temperature). Two months is pushing it and three months
generally means they are dead.

Steve Wolfe 12-17-2004 10:51 PM

Re: battery question

> >I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
> >camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
> >their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

use
> >the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
> >standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

> Although NiMH cells are noted for their high self-discharge rate, I'd say
> yours might be defective. Generally, they are still useful after 1 month

of
> non-use (at room temperature). Two months is pushing it and three months
> generally means they are dead.

When they're brand-new, I'd agree - when mine were new, I never worried
about letting them sit, and never had a problem. But now that they're a
couple of years old, they won't last two weeks after being taken out of the
charger. Fresh from the charger, they're still pretty good, but letting
them sit drains them fast. The newer sets that I've bought are better about
it, but as they age, they're starting to lose it as well.

steve