Velocity Reviews

-   -   Etherchannel vs. STP - what do you think? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t40879-etherchannel-vs-stp-what-do-you-think.html)

Igor Mamuzic 09-18-2005 05:40 PM

Etherchannel vs. STP - what do you think?

If I have 2 c3750 EI switches that makes my distribution layer, so that they
are configured to run EIGRP with other switches/routers and provides L2
connectivity and interVLAN routing for my access-layer is it better to build
a switch stack (StackWise) and then implement etherchannels for l2 access
layer (c2950) connectivity rather then implementing STP between my access
and distribution?
I'm for switch stacking with etherchannels since I already implemented it at
some customers sites... What do you guys think?

I'm currently have only one c3750, but now I'm planning to add anotherone
for redundancy, so I'm to lazy to hassle with STP:)

B.R.
Igor

stephen 09-19-2005 07:11 AM

Re: Etherchannel vs. STP - what do you think?

"Igor Mamuzic" <no@mail.xx> wrote in message
> If I have 2 c3750 EI switches that makes my distribution layer, so that

they
> are configured to run EIGRP with other switches/routers and provides L2
> connectivity and interVLAN routing for my access-layer is it better to

build
> a switch stack (StackWise) and then implement etherchannels for l2 access
> layer (c2950) connectivity rather then implementing STP between my access
> and distribution?

this is fine as long as 1 switch in the centre is resilient "enough" - for
example that ties the boxes to the same rack in the same room....

the main limitation is that there is 1 logical swt at each end of the
Etherchannel, so if you get some sort of s/w bug you could blow it all away.

etherchannel is fairly stable, but i have seen problems where it dies - not
for a while though.

> I'm for switch stacking with etherchannels since I already implemented it

at
> some customers sites... What do you guys think?
>
> I'm currently have only one c3750, but now I'm planning to add anotherone
> for redundancy, so I'm to lazy to hassle with STP:)

Spanning tree has lots of failure modes all of its own anyway - a 1 way link
can melt the set of connected switch when the circulating multicasts use all
bandwidth and CPU.

if you need dual central swt then i prefer a purely layer 3 core, with each
wiring closet forming a separate subnet.

--
Regards

stephen_hope@xyzworld.com - replace xyz with ntl

anybody43@hotmail.com 09-19-2005 06:09 PM

Re: Etherchannel vs. STP - what do you think?

If you have been there, done that, and liked it you should
keep going with it.

I have always been a bit nervous of the etherchannel route for
resilience however it is clearly now a mature technology and
I doubt that many would argue with you.