Velocity Reviews

-   -   20d newbie questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t408312-20d-newbie-questions.html)

pshaw@emmet.com 12-02-2004 05:30 AM

20d newbie questions

in looking through the options on the 20 d i discovered that i have a
few questions:

1) as i work with my pix in photoshop should i set my space to srgb or
rgb? i use rgb in photoshop
2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any of
the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)
3) any suggestions to change any of the other functions?
4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon raw
files?

tia ...

steve

Matt Ion 12-02-2004 07:53 AM

Re: 20d newbie questions

pshaw@emmet.com wrote:
> in looking through the options on the 20 d i discovered that i have a
> few questions:
>
> 1) as i work with my pix in photoshop should i set my space to srgb or
> rgb? i use rgb in photoshop

From what I've picked up here and in a couple magazines, your best
choice is probably Adobe RGB in the camera.

> 2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any of
> the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)

I use the stock parameters with my Digital Rebel. Note that these
settings only take effect when the camera stores images as JPG; they
don't affect RAW files.

> 4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon raw
> files?

There's a plugin for the latest Photoshop...

David J Taylor 12-02-2004 10:40 AM

Re: 20d newbie questions

pshaw@emmet.com wrote:
> in looking through the options on the 20 d i discovered that i have a
> few questions:
>
> 1) as i work with my pix in photoshop should i set my space to srgb or
> rgb? i use rgb in photoshop
> 2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any of
> the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)
> 3) any suggestions to change any of the other functions?
> 4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon raw
> files?

Steve,

There's a newsgroup dedicated to DSLRs like the 20D at:

rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Cheers,
David

Skip M 12-02-2004 01:28 PM

Re: 20d newbie questions

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
<pshaw@emmet.com> wrote in message
> in looking through the options on the 20 d i discovered that i have a
> few questions:
>
> 1) as i work with my pix in photoshop should i set my space to srgb or
> rgb? i use rgb in photoshop
> 2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any of
> the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)
> 3) any suggestions to change any of the other functions?
> 4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon raw
> files?
>
> tia ...
>
> steve

Actually, what I've picked up here, and from the owner's manual, is that
sRGB is more workable.
As far as the parameters, you really need to determine that yourself. I
usually use parameter 1 and Set 1 that I've set with higher saturation. And
the B&W set, too.
The same goes for any of the other settings, but most have found that
setting the flash metering for "average" rather than the default
"evaluative" gives better results. And I have mine set to second curtain
synch so that any flash trails look more natural.
I took my camera out for a day in the park, with a notebook. I documented
everything I shot, changed settings endlessly, compared everything when I
got home, looked at all the variables, and decided what settings were the
most useful, for me. And I'm still changing some of them, as I get into
more and more situations.
Of course, your mileage may vary...

Leith Cassone 12-02-2004 02:35 PM

Re: 20d newbie questions

Also remember that only Parameter 2 settings are used in the "non
creative zone".

--------------------------------

Bill Hilton 12-02-2004 02:41 PM

Re: 20d newbie questions

>From: "Skip M" shadowcatcher@cox.net

>Actually, what I've picked up here, and from the owner's manual, is that
>sRGB is more workable.

If you want to throw away a large % of the colors captured by the 20D then sRGB
is for you. Anyone who knows how to use color management and has a profiled
monitor and a good printer can make much better prints using AdobeRGB.

"workable" in the sense that it's the lowest common denominator working space,
meant for web images (that aren't viewed in a color managed environment) and
people with uncalibrated monitors.

Michael A. Covington 12-02-2004 02:56 PM

Re: 20d newbie questions

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message

>> 2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any of
>> the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)

> I use the stock parameters with my Digital Rebel. Note that these
> settings only take effect when the camera stores images as JPG; they don't
> affect RAW files.

I disagree. Both the RAW file and the resulting EXIF TIFF show sharpness
+1, saturation +1 in the EXIF data if I use Parameter 1. For scientific
work I'm about to switch to Parameter 2.

Basically, Parameter 1 if you think you're going to be making some prints
direct from the camera; Parameter 2 if you're always going to post-process
your pictures.

>> 4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon raw
>> files?

> There's a plugin for the latest Photoshop...

Where do I get that? Also, the one that comes with the camera (Canon File
Viewer) works well. Photoshop without the Canon plugin can open .CRW files
but doesn't seem to interpret them correctly; they don't look too good.

Michael A. Covington 12-02-2004 02:57 PM

Re: 20d newbie questions

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Steve,
>
> There's a newsgroup dedicated to DSLRs like the 20D at:
>
> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
>
> Cheers,
> David

Quite a bit of the world still doesn't get that newsgroup. I don't know
what happened to it, but neither of my 2 totally unrelated servers gets it
yet, even though it has existed for a month.

Michael A. Covington 12-02-2004 02:58 PM

Re: 20d newbie questions

"Leith Cassone" <LCassone@usa.net> wrote in message
> Also remember that only Parameter 2 settings are used in the "non
> creative zone".

Parameter 1, you mean? Or are they backwards on the 20D compared to the
300D?

Mitch Alsup 12-02-2004 06:06 PM

Re: 20d newbie questions

pshaw@emmet.com wrote in message news:<ah6tq0tb9muiicciad45l15m18fdm3rsem@4ax.com>. ..
> in looking through the options on the 20 d i discovered that i have a
> few questions:
>
> 1) as i work with my pix in photoshop should i set my space to srgb or
> rgb? i use rgb in photoshop

You choose the RGB space at the point of conversion from RAW to {TIFF/JPG}.
With the bundled 20D software, this is best/easiest done in DPP.

> 2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any of
> the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)

Shoot RAW and then look at each picture and balance individually. Once
you have done 100-200 you get pretty good at getting the color right
very fast so it ends up taking only a couple of seconds/image.

I do all my color corrections at the RAW->{TFFF/JPG} conversion in DPP.
I do all my image manipulation in Photoshop {sharpness, contrast, levels,
punch} just before writing out the image as JPG.

RAW is the digital negative, JPG is the digital positive (print)

> 3) any suggestions to change any of the other functions?
> 4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon raw
> files?

I use EOS Viewer to import camera->PC (RAW)
I use DPP as my color correction, saturation and white balance processing
I use Photoshop as my image manipulation engine.

Once I got about 500 images under my belt, the whole process takes about
1 minute per descent image but I will still spend up to an hour saving a
disaterous image into a very presentable image.

Mitch