Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bizarre problem: Convex scans! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t408072-bizarre-problem-convex-scans.html)

Douglas W. Hoyt 11-26-2004 03:59 PM

Bizarre problem: Convex scans!

I'm scanning some old slides and endpieces of slides in my LS-5000, and some
of them are stiff and must have been affected by temperature, because they
are convex (curved upward) and there is no way I can flatten them for
scanning. The objects and peope in them come out looking unusually thin
(and warped--and no, the people weren't warped to being with!).

The question is: is there any digital editing software that will actually
undo convexity (e.g., a fun-house mirror process that will actually
normalize a fun-house mirror image?). The Gimp?

Bob Salomon 11-26-2004 04:32 PM

Re: Bizarre problem: Convex scans!

In article <qzIpd.353$NF1.56@newsfe01.lga>,
"Douglas W. Hoyt" <nospamthankyoumam@nada.net> wrote:

> I'm scanning some old slides and endpieces of slides in my LS-5000, and some
> of them are stiff and must have been affected by temperature, because they
> are convex (curved upward) and there is no way I can flatten them for
> scanning. The objects and peope in them come out looking unusually thin
> (and warped--and no, the people weren't warped to being with!).
>
> The question is: is there any digital editing software that will actually
> undo convexity (e.g., a fun-house mirror process that will actually
> normalize a fun-house mirror image?). The Gimp?

Can your scanner handle glass mounted slides? If so put them in Gepe
glass mounts. Gepe makes mounts with various openings so any slides you
have from 8x11mm Minox to 6x7cm will work (providing your scanner can
handle medium format sizes. Otherwise the range would be 8x11 Minox to
40x40mm super slide.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Douglas W. Hoyt 11-27-2004 06:39 PM

Re: Bizarre problem: Convex scans!

That's a terrific suggestion--thank you! I'll just have to go digging in
the slush pile for the bent ones (once they're scanned and backed up I'm not
tending them too much, because the colors are going too).

Marvin Margoshes 11-28-2004 02:40 PM

"Douglas W. Hoyt" <nospamthankyoumam@nada.net> wrote in message

> That's a terrific suggestion--thank you! I'll just have to go digging in
> the slush pile for the bent ones (once they're scanned and backed up I'm
> not tending them too much, because the colors are going too).

Paint Shop Pro (free trial from www.jasc.com) has a fade correction applet.
It will also correct the geometric problems you have. But taking the slides
out of their frames and flattening them is better.

Paul H. 12-04-2004 08:21 PM

> I'm scanning some old slides and endpieces of slides in my LS-5000, and

some
> of them are stiff and must have been affected by temperature, because they
> are convex (curved upward) and there is no way I can flatten them for
> scanning. The objects and peope in them come out looking unusually thin
> (and warped--and no, the people weren't warped to being with!).
>
> The question is: is there any digital editing software that will actually
> undo convexity (e.g., a fun-house mirror process that will actually
> normalize a fun-house mirror image?). The Gimp?

If you use Photoshop Elements, CS, etc., you might want to install Panorama
Tools, set of freeware PS/Gimp plug-ins available around the net (see
http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/ , for example). One of the plug-ins
included with these tools is prosaically named "Correct" and is used remove
just the sort of distortion you're talking about.

"Correct" is a little tricky to use at first, but it's very powerful.

Tony 12-04-2004 10:27 PM

Re: Bizarre problem: Convex scans!

Try remounting them in a glass mount with only one sheet of the glass in
place (put it above the so it is not between the film and the light, and put
the convex side toward it. You might get moires but then again, you might
not. I did this with a couple dozen slides I couldn't flatten with new
mounts and they scanned jes'fine. No guarantees but it isn't expensive -
re-uses the same mount over and over.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto