Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with memory card (Compact Flash) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t407729-problem-with-memory-card-compact-flash.html)

Greg 11-16-2004 03:14 PM

Problem with memory card (Compact Flash)

I own a Canon Powershot A80.

I have two Sandisk Compact Flash memory cards (128 Mb and 512 MB). They
worked without any problem with my camera. I put them in a card reader and I
copied images on my pc (Win XP Pro). I didn't delete any thing on the card I
didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
images.
What can I do?

Greg

Bill Hilton 11-16-2004 03:42 PM

Re: Problem with memory card (Compact Flash)

>From: "Greg" grfilip@freemail.gr

>I didn't delete any thing on the card I
>didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
>not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
>images. What can I do?

If you're sure the images are OK saved on the computer I'd reformat the CF card
*in the camera* and see if that fixes the problem.

Justín Käse 11-16-2004 04:08 PM

Re: Problem with memory card (Compact Flash)

In Message-ID:<cnd5fm$14ka$1@ulysses.noc.ntua.gr> posted on Tue, 16 Nov
2004 17:14:34 +0200, Greg wrote:

>I own a Canon Powershot A80.
>
>I have two Sandisk Compact Flash memory cards (128 Mb and 512 MB). They
>worked without any problem with my camera. I put them in a card reader and I
>copied images on my pc (Win XP Pro). I didn't delete any thing on the card I
>didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
>not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
>images.
>What can I do?
>
>Greg

I have no idea what XP-Pro's drivers could have done to corrupt your
cards unless you yanked one out during the read, but even that would be
more likely to crash the computer than corrupt the card's file
structure.
I haven't experienced (yet) any problems with my two Lexar CF256's and
SanDisk reader versus my S1-IS, but if it happened as you say, I would
save to the computer all available content, then do a full format in the
reader, then try to follow up with an in camera format.
On my XP-Pro machine the camera was recognized upon plug in without any
additional software, whereas on this 98SE machine I had to install
ZoomBrowser, or use a generic twain driver.
--

JK

Aerticus 11-16-2004 04:34 PM

Re: Problem with memory card (Compact Flash)

Some image browsers actually leave residue files behind

Would this be the casue of the problem?

Even if it isn't I'd suggest that it is good practise not to view files on
the card - always copy the images to the computer (window to window or USB -
mini-USB) Then inspext the images from the copies on your 'pooter.

I have never ever experienced anything like this with my xD cards and have
given them a fair bit of wallop too.

However I make a point of formatting the cards in camera only

Aerticus

RustY© 11-16-2004 05:52 PM

"Aerticus" <spoofed@spooked.com> wrote in message
> Some image browsers actually leave residue files behind

Yes, XP does this.

David J Taylor 11-16-2004 05:57 PM

RustY© wrote:
> "Aerticus" <spoofed@spooked.com> wrote in message
>> Some image browsers actually leave residue files behind
>>

> Yes, XP does this.

Only if you view the images as thumbnails.

David

Greg 11-16-2004 06:23 PM

Re: Problem with memory card (Compact Flash)

>>I didn't delete any thing on the card I
>>didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
>>not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
>>images. What can I do?

> If you're sure the images are OK saved on the computer I'd reformat the CF
> card
> *in the camera* and see if that fixes the problem.

I can't do this because teh camera does not recognize the card.
I formated the first card on the card reader as FAT 32 or FAT 16 and tried
the card on two cameras (Canon A80 and Nikon D70) with no result.
Both of them are ok by using them with the card. I can write and delete
files on them BUT they can't be recognized from the cameras.

Marcel 11-16-2004 06:23 PM

Re: Problem with memory card (Compact Flash)

What's the impact, please?

Big Bill 11-17-2004 12:49 AM

Re: Problem with memory card (Compact Flash)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:23:42 -0500, "Marcel" <cosmar@rogers.com>
wrote:

>What's the impact, please?

Extremely little.
XP leaves an index file to help it (XP) keep track of the thumbnails.
This file is pretty small, and the camera doesn't even know it's
there. The camera simply doesn't see this file, so it won't have any
effect on the camera.
Other than taking up a small part of the card's capacity, there's no
impact.
Formatting the card in the camera will remove the file, restoring that
space for the camera's use. I don't *know* if a "delete all" command
will remove the file (I just haven't checked).

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

John McWilliams 11-17-2004 06:51 AM

Greg wrote:
>>>I didn't delete any thing on the card I
>>>didn't format it. Now my camera does not recognize the card. The cards are
>>>not damaged. The card reader recognizes them and I can see the folders and
>>>images. What can I do?

>>If you're sure the images are OK saved on the computer I'd reformat the CF
>>card
>>*in the camera* and see if that fixes the problem.
>>

> I can't do this because teh camera does not recognize the card.
> I formated the first card on the card reader as FAT 32 or FAT 16 and tried
> the card on two cameras (Canon A80 and Nikon D70) with no result.
> Both of them are ok by using them with the card. I can write and delete
> files on them BUT they can't be recognized from the cameras.

A cart and horse situation. The camera won't recognize the card until
after it formats it, found in your menu, regardless of camera make and
model, or card make and specs.

--
John McWilliams