Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nikon 5700 Flash Help! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t407533-nikon-5700-flash-help.html)

John 11-12-2004 02:10 AM

Nikon 5700 Flash Help!

I have a Nikon 5700 and want some ideas of which is the best hot shoe flash
to purchase. Money is an object, but so is reliability. Some ideas would
be appreciated.

bob 11-12-2004 05:01 AM

Re: Nikon 5700 Flash Help!

"John" <jlinsk@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> I have a Nikon 5700 and want some ideas of which is the best hot shoe
> flash to purchase. Money is an object, but so is reliability. Some
> ideas would be appreciated.

I've been using SunPack flashes for 20 years. They always work perfectly
until I drop them on hard surfaces from 4 feet or more. When I do that the
tubes break, but I expect more expensive equipment would too.

I've never paid more than $30 for one. I see them on Ebay for under $10
now.

If you get an old unit, check the trigger voltage, lest you damage the
camera. 12v seems to be a general guide in that regard.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Martin Bishop 11-12-2004 10:35 AM

Re: Nikon 5700 Flash Help!

The 5700 won't make use of features like power zoom and AF illuminator and
doesn't transmit the shooting data, aperture, focus distance, ISO, etc. So
don't bother spending any more for a flash that has these features (unless
of course you can use them on another Nikon you own)

TheNewsGuy 11-12-2004 08:35 PM

Re: Nikon 5700 Flash Help!

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:10:55 -0500, "John" <jlinsk@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I have a Nikon 5700 and want some ideas of which is the best hot shoe flash
>to purchase. Money is an object, but so is reliability. Some ideas would
>be appreciated.

I am using a Vivitar 730AFNi that I purchase cheaply - of course the
AF and zoom features are not used by the 5700. I also bought the
Nikon SB-28 (it is the proper cable) - don't try the SB-17 as the cord
comes out at the wrong angle. I mounted it on a flash bracket with a
tripod screw on my own. It works well off-camera like this. Be sure
to read C. K. Shenes pages on settings etc. It is an excellent
resource. http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)