Velocity Reviews

-   -   35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t407466-35mm-lens-database-back-on-line-finally.html)

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman 11-10-2004 02:28 PM

35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at
http://www.exc.com/Photography . The good news is (1) it is back
on-line:

http://www.exc.com/Photography

or more directly:

http://www.exc.com/Phorography/Lenses.cgi

and (2) it will soon include a digital camera database.

The bad news is that the old lens database was wiped out. User reports
about lenses are often much more valuable than published specs. So if
you have time to enter information about lenses you own, now's the
time!

Thanks.

-Joel

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman 11-10-2004 02:41 PM

Re: 35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

Sorry to follow up on my own posting.

> http://www.exc.com/Phorography/Lenses.cgi

That's

http://www.exc.com/Photography/Lenses.cgi

of course.

-Joel

Des Perado 11-10-2004 03:45 PM

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:wApkd.58654$fF6.25550972@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
> We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
> the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

Angela 11-10-2004 04:02 PM

"Des Perado" <des@per.ado> wrote in message

> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> news:wApkd.58654$fF6.25550972@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
> > We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
> > the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

> It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
> I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

Only 2 lenses on the whole database - and the output doesn't exactly tell
you a great deal!!

BobS 11-10-2004 08:59 PM

Re: 35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

Joel,

Have you tried the site http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.exc.com and
see if the files still exist there? If so, you can download them and put
them back on the site - or whoever.

Bob S.

Fi Nishing 11-10-2004 09:25 PM

"BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
> Joel,
>
> Have you tried the site http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.exc.com

and
> see if the files still exist there? If so, you can download them and put
> them back on the site - or whoever.

Don't you think the idiot spamming his pathetic site should ensure it's
worth viewing before spamming it to the whole world?

David Dyer-Bennet 11-10-2004 11:58 PM

"Des Perado" <des@per.ado> writes:

> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> news:wApkd.58654$fF6.25550972@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
>> We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
>> the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

> It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
> I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

Well, he said all the old data was lost, in whatever event caused the
site to be offline for a while. I'm not familiar with the old site,
so I don't know how much data that was.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Skip M 11-11-2004 12:23 AM

Re: 35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

"Des Perado" <des@per.ado> wrote in message

> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> news:wApkd.58654$fF6.25550972@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
>> We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
>> the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

> It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
> I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

Actually, Canon doesn't make a 100-300 IS, they make a 75-300 IS and a
100-400L IS. The 100-300 isn't IS.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman 11-11-2004 03:43 AM

Re: 35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

>> We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
>> the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at

>It's very complete. Search for Canon plus ANY you get one hit.
>I have a suspicious feeling that Canon make more than just the 100-300 IS.

Well then add more lenses. It *used to be* very complete. If people
help, it will be again.

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman 11-11-2004 04:07 AM

Re: 35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

>Have you tried the site http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.exc.com and
>see if the files still exist there? If so, you can download them and put
>them back on the site - or whoever.

I didn't know about archive.org, but what a good idea. Alas, I can't
get the actual database back, just the search page. (And even worse,
the archived pages show how much was lost - user data on literally
hundreds of lenses - I didn't remember it being that extensive.)

But thanks.

-Joel