Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recommendation to replace Kodak DC280 needed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t406892-recommendation-to-replace-kodak-dc280-needed.html)

TS 10-26-2004 09:12 PM

Recommendation to replace Kodak DC280 needed

I'm ready for a new digital camera to use on vacation in Europe.
I love my DC280 mostly because the picture quality has been so
fantastic despite having only 2.1 megapixels. I have seen pictures
from some newer cameras with much higher megapixels that looked worse
to me. However the bulk and slow lag times when using flash is
getting old. Plus I want to be able to record small videos and also
not deal with a tethered lens cap.

I'm loking for a smaller, lighter camera (more suitable for travel)
with the picture quality that meets and exceeds the picture quality of
the DC280, has lower lag times, built-in lens cover and a nice movie
mode with good frame rates and unlimited record time with sound.
Recommendations?
I'm thinking about the Kodak LS753, but I'm not sure it meets the
requirement of picture quality that meets or exceeds the DC280. Some
sample photos I saw online that look ok, but didn't seem as sharply
focused as the pics from my DC280.

JohnR 10-26-2004 09:49 PM

Re: Recommendation to replace Kodak DC280 needed

Check out the Fuji Finepix A330. It is smaller and delivers a clearer
picture than some 4 MP cameras I compared it to. I had a DC280 that I sold
to my employer years ago. It still works and is now at another office. It
was replaced with a A330. I like the image quality, and simple controls
enough that I got one for myself. Price just dropped to around $150.
John

news:a2592918.0410261312.289fd09f@posting.google.c om...

Ron Hunter 10-26-2004 11:13 PM

TS wrote:
> I'm ready for a new digital camera to use on vacation in Europe.
> I love my DC280 mostly because the picture quality has been so
> fantastic despite having only 2.1 megapixels. I have seen pictures
> from some newer cameras with much higher megapixels that looked worse
> to me. However the bulk and slow lag times when using flash is
> getting old. Plus I want to be able to record small videos and also
> not deal with a tethered lens cap.
>
> I'm loking for a smaller, lighter camera (more suitable for travel)
> with the picture quality that meets and exceeds the picture quality of
> the DC280, has lower lag times, built-in lens cover and a nice movie
> mode with good frame rates and unlimited record time with sound.
> Recommendations?
> I'm thinking about the Kodak LS753, but I'm not sure it meets the
> requirement of picture quality that meets or exceeds the DC280. Some
> sample photos I saw online that look ok, but didn't seem as sharply
> focused as the pics from my DC280.

Many times cameras with more pixels don't appear as sharp as those with
less pixels. However, if you take the time to examine the pictures
carefully, you will see that the reason is because the pixels are so
small that you usually are seeing very few pixel edges, which makes the
image appear less sharp. You will appreciate the extra pixels in the
editing process, however.

I would recommend the DX7440 for your consideration.

Hap Shaughnessy 10-27-2004 06:27 AM

On 26 Oct 2004 14:12:16 -0700, maxview80@hotmail.com (TS) wrote:

>I'm ready for a new digital camera to use on vacation in Europe.
>I love my DC280 mostly because the picture quality has been so
>fantastic despite having only 2.1 megapixels. I have seen pictures
>from some newer cameras with much higher megapixels that looked worse
>to me. However the bulk and slow lag times when using flash is
>getting old. Plus I want to be able to record small videos and also
>not deal with a tethered lens cap.
>
>I'm loking for a smaller, lighter camera (more suitable for travel)
>with the picture quality that meets and exceeds the picture quality of
>the DC280, has lower lag times, built-in lens cover and a nice movie
>mode with good frame rates and unlimited record time with sound.
>Recommendations?
>I'm thinking about the Kodak LS753, but I'm not sure it meets the
>requirement of picture quality that meets or exceeds the DC280. Some
>sample photos I saw online that look ok, but didn't seem as sharply
>focused as the pics from my DC280.

I agree with Ron Hunter that the Kodak DX7440 is worth considering.

I'm very pleased with my DX7440 that I bought last August and today
shot my 2,211th photo.

Reviews:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/dx7440.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX7440/DX74A.HTM

I chose the DX7440 over the 6.1 Megapixel DX7630 because:

1) 4x optical zoom lens (35 mm equivalent: 33-132 mm).
2) dioptric adjustment for the optical viewfinder (eyeglass wearer).
3) addtional 640x480 movie mode.
4) Cdn$180 cheaper at the time.

I would have liked the larger 1/1.8" CCD sensor found on the DX7630
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/dx7630.html but the
DX7440's 1/2.5" sensor does a lot better than I had expected other
wise it would have gone back.

It was a tough call because that DX7630 is still very appealing.

I also bought an extra KODAK Li-Ion (1700 mAh) rechargeable battery.
At max resolution I get 134 photos on a 256Mb Kingston High Speed SD
card. I have never run out of power using all of this cameras bells
and whistles including downloading the images to my computer. I'm very
pleased that I didn't buy a camera that uses AA batteries. Kodak
batteries are a heck of a lot cheaper than the competition making a
proprietry battery an easy choice.

A perfect fit Lowepro Rezo 50 Camera Bag completes my kit.

Note: Kodak uses an aggressive [too high] JPEG compression algorythm
for all of their latest point & shoot cameras that is mentioned on
every digicam review web site and digital camera forum. Some people
don't even notice it and it's really not an issue for prints.

Auto mode photos may be a tad dark. Increasing the exposure
compensation +0.3 in Custom mode works for me. The Custom mode like
the other P/A/S/M modes recalls last settings used. When needed just
dial it in.

One last very small annoyance. The self timer must be reset for each
photo.

All of the above are are in-camera software issues and can be fixed in
a firmware update. Fingers crossed. They are not deal breakers.

The DX7440 is a solid little camera that feels great in the hand and
fun to use. It will keep me happy for a very long time.

Hap

Robert Barr 10-27-2004 01:47 PM

TS wrote:

> I'm loking for a smaller, lighter camera (more suitable for travel)
> with the picture quality that meets and exceeds the picture quality of
> the DC280, has lower lag times, built-in lens cover and a nice movie
> mode with good frame rates and unlimited record time with sound.
> Recommendations?

I'll toss in another vote for the DX7440, at least for models that
warrant an in-depth look. You can find all the facts & figures just
about anywhere, but I'll add: I sold my Canon G3 to buy the DX7440, and
I couldn't be happier.

It has plenty of wizardry, but overall, it just gets the job done, in
just about any situation I can throw at it. It just plain performs.

Ron Baird 11-05-2004 02:57 PM

Re: Recommendation to replace Kodak DC280 needed

Greetings TS,

The LS753 is an excellent choice and should give you terrific results. It
does all that you have noted and has a great many more features than what
you are expecting. If you have not had the chance to review the camera
first hand, I suggest that you take the time to go to a retailer or camera
store so you can get a hands on review. Please note that the file sizes
from this camera will be a lot greater than those from your DC280, and that
the card type will be different. So, you will need a larger card capacity
as well as a switch to the SD/MMC format.

Please visit the following web page for a full review of what to expect and
what the additional features are of this camera. I have used it and will
attest to its quality imaging capacity. Remember, how you hold and take the
picture is key for great results. If you want any suggestions on picture
taking, check the Kodak home page and the link to 'Taking Great Pictures'
near the lower left hand side of the noted home page.

Good luck in your review and decision, if you think I can help with any
imaging issues, let me know.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company