Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need to go digital - 300 budget - Any thoughts? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t406890-need-to-go-digital-300-budget-any-thoughts.html)

IanC 10-26-2004 08:30 PM

Need to go digital - 300 budget - Any thoughts?

I am looking for a digital camera with a large optical zoom (8x plus) to
take hillwalking and on a safari holiday. Options to point and shoot (for
the wife) and manual options for me to play about with and a fairly robust
build quality are required. Needless to say it has to take a mean snap.
The Fuji 5500 strikes a chord. All advice, experiences, comments welcome.
Thanks
Ian

Dr Gonzo 10-26-2004 09:12 PM

Re: Need to go digital - 300 budget - Any thoughts?

I would have a look at the S7000.

--
Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

David J Taylor 10-27-2004 08:37 AM

IanC wrote:
> I am looking for a digital camera with a large optical zoom (8x plus)
> to take hillwalking and on a safari holiday. Options to point and
> shoot (for the wife) and manual options for me to play about with and
> a fairly robust build quality are required. Needless to say it has
> to take a mean snap. The Fuji 5500 strikes a chord. All advice,
> experiences, comments welcome. Thanks
> Ian

If you need a long zoom, you may want image stabilisation as well. Canon
S1 IS is the cheapest of those and probably fits your budget.

David