Velocity Reviews

-   -   old lens,new dig camera??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t406678-old-lens-new-dig-camera.html)

Chuck Lorentson 10-22-2004 06:43 AM

old lens,new dig camera???

I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
new digital Cannons's????
thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

Doug Robbins 10-22-2004 09:21 AM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

The A-1 lenses are "FD" mount. The Canon DSLRs are "EOS" mount. The EOS
mount is not compatible with the older lenses.

Michael A. Covington 10-22-2004 10:49 AM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

"Doug Robbins" <crobbins6@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> The A-1 lenses are "FD" mount. The Canon DSLRs are "EOS" mount. The EOS
> mount is not compatible with the older lenses.

FD lens to EOS mount adapters existed at one time. I think they include a
small glass teleconverter. Note that with an adapter, you have no
autofocus, and only a primitive kind of auto exposure (aperture-priority,
with the lens stopped down to working aperture all the time).

A Nikon lens to EOS body adapter exists and is popular. It does not contain
a glass element, but it has the same limitation about focusing and aperture.
There are also several adapters for other lenses to EOS bodies, some with
glass elements and some without.

The EOS body is shallower front to back than most other SLRs, and that's
what makes the adapters possible.

Do a Google search for "EOS lens mount adapter". Or an eBay search.
Novoflex makes a $180 Nikon to EOS adapter; somebody in the Ukraine makes a
$40 one that is well regarded (but probably doesn't pay patent royalties to
Nikon and Canon).

Alan Light 10-22-2004 11:46 AM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

cilorentson@devtex.net (Chuck Lorentson) wrote in message news:<417aac22.762039@news.devtex.net>...
> I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
> 1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
> new digital Cannons's????
> thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

No. Your camera uses canon FD lenses, current canon SLRs (both film
and digital use EF lenses).

Michael A. Covington 10-22-2004 02:06 PM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

In fact B&H has one now. www.bhphotovideo.com and search for "EOS adapter."

> Do a Google search for "EOS lens mount adapter". Or an eBay search.
> Novoflex makes a $180 Nikon to EOS adapter; somebody in the Ukraine makes
> a $40 one that is well regarded (but probably doesn't pay patent royalties
> to Nikon and Canon).

See also my other posting inviting people's comments on the low-cost
versions of this one.

And of course there are T-adapters to mount your vintage T-mount lenses on
an EOS.

GT40 10-22-2004 02:13 PM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:43:48 GMT, cilorentson@devtex.net (Chuck
Lorentson) wrote:

>I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
>1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
>new digital Cannons's????
> thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

No, only the EF lenses work on the new Canon DSLR's

Skip M 10-22-2004 07:40 PM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

EOS (Electronic Optical System, or some such) is the line of cameras, the
mount is actually "EF" as opposed to the older FD mount. Just picking nits,
I know, but, hey, it's slow around here...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Greg Campbell 10-24-2004 06:29 AM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

Chuck Lorentson wrote:

> I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
> 1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
> new digital Cannons's????

> thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

Not in the proper sense of the word ('work'). There are FD->EOS
adaptors that will allow the lens to physicaly attach to the camera -
that's the good news. On the downside, you will lose infinity focus,
most (all?) metering functionality, automatic aperture control, etc.
AFAIK, macro work is about the only sort of use that makes sense; the
adaptor acts like a short macro tube.

I still shoot an A1 and T90; just send all the stuff my way! ;)

-Greg

dj_nme 10-24-2004 08:35 AM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

Greg Campbell wrote:

> Chuck Lorentson wrote:
>
>> I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
>> 1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
>> new digital Cannons's????

>> thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

> Not in the proper sense of the word ('work'). There are FD->EOS
> adaptors that will allow the lens to physicaly attach to the camera -
> that's the good news. On the downside, you will lose infinity focus,
> most (all?) metering functionality, automatic aperture control, etc.
> AFAIK, macro work is about the only sort of use that makes sense; the
> adaptor acts like a short macro tube.
>
> I still shoot an A1 and T90; just send all the stuff my way! ;)
>
> -Greg

The loss of metering function when using manual focus lenses on new a
DSLR has me a bit puzzled.
My 30-odd year old Minolta XG-1 can meter (and auto-expose) with lenses
that have no apeture coupling to the body (such as Pentacon-6 and m42
lenses) by using them stopped-down (or manualy stopping down to f 1:6 or
smaller before pressing the shutter button).

How can a thirty-odd year old film camera be better at this than a
brand-new DSLR?

Michael A. Covington 10-24-2004 01:59 PM

Re: old lens,new dig camera???

"dj_nme" <dj_nme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The loss of metering function when using manual focus lenses on new a DSLR
> has me a bit puzzled.
> My 30-odd year old Minolta XG-1 can meter (and auto-expose) with lenses
> that have no apeture coupling to the body (such as Pentacon-6 and m42
> lenses) by using them stopped-down (or manualy stopping down to f 1:6 or
> smaller before pressing the shutter button).
> How can a thirty-odd year old film camera be better at this than a
> brand-new DSLR?

I think the DSLR *can* meter, at least in one of its modes. I would be
amazed if it couldn't meter or auto-expose at all.