Velocity Reviews

-   -   Memory card question, CF&SD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t406565-memory-card-question-cf-and-sd.html)

mike 10-19-2004 05:46 PM

Memory card question, CF&SD

So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.

What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
change the whole media in just a two year period.

Bryce 10-19-2004 06:10 PM

Re: Memory card question, CF&SD

So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

mike 10-19-2004 06:13 PM

Re: Memory card question, CF&SD

>> So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
>> great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
>> new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.
>>
>> What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
>> that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
>> change the whole media in just a two year period.

>So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

My question regards the technology of the memory cards. Since I am
somewhat computer literate, I know my Pentium 1 66mhz will not cut the
mustard so I must upgrade and have over the years. It is now time for
my digital camera.

What are the reasons why a company would change from CF to SD cards?
Is it worth switching over?

Bill Jackson 10-19-2004 06:24 PM

mike wrote:
>>>So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
>>>great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
>>>new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.
>>>
>>>What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
>>>that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
>>>change the whole media in just a two year period.

>>So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

> My question regards the technology of the memory cards. Since I am
> somewhat computer literate, I know my Pentium 1 66mhz will not cut the
> mustard so I must upgrade and have over the years. It is now time for
> my digital camera.
>
> What are the reasons why a company would change from CF to SD cards?
> Is it worth switching over?

the reasons, size and cost.

CF components cost more and drive the size required for the storage slot
to be larger. Given that size of the camera is a consideration for most
people when purchasing, allocating more of the size to the card slot
leaves less ofthe size for the "rest of the stuff"

I too used to be concerned about taking my "high priced" memory forward
with me. Now that I can get a 256M CF or SD card for under $25(WAY
UNDER) , it really doesn't matter anymore does it....

As for the differences, there are write speed differences, SD can be
faster but is not always depending on the controller design. the new
higher speed CF stuff is getting up there as well, as long as the camera
has been designed to deal with it.

In the end my advice is to pick the camera you want, the memory will
come as an afterthought.

Bryce 10-19-2004 06:56 PM

"Bill Jackson" <william.jackson@kodak.com> wrote in message

> >>So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

> > My question regards the technology of the memory cards. Since I am
> > somewhat computer literate, I know my Pentium 1 66mhz will not cut the
> > mustard so I must upgrade and have over the years. It is now time for
> > my digital camera.
> >
> > What are the reasons why a company would change from CF to SD cards?
> > Is it worth switching over?
> >

> the reasons, size and cost.
>
> CF components cost more and drive the size required for the storage slot
> to be larger. Given that size of the camera is a consideration for most
> people when purchasing, allocating more of the size to the card slot
> leaves less ofthe size for the "rest of the stuff"
>

> I too used to be concerned about taking my "high priced" memory forward
> with me. Now that I can get a 256M CF or SD card for under $25(WAY
> UNDER) , it really doesn't matter anymore does it....
>

> As for the differences, there are write speed differences, SD can be
> faster but is not always depending on the controller design. the new
> higher speed CF stuff is getting up there as well, as long as the camera
> has been designed to deal with it.
>
> In the end my advice is to pick the camera you want, the memory will
> come as an afterthought.

I'd have to agree. I mean, you wouldn't buy a car based on it's tires or gas
tank would you?

Choose the camera first.

As things always get cheaper, it's easy to second guess yourself on paying
high prices for media "way back when".

Larry R Harrison Jr 10-20-2004 04:09 AM

Re: Memory card question, CF&SD

I am with you 100%. I simply cannot fathom--despite the savings in size
etc--why the mad rush to SD cards by so many manufacturers.

To those who say that it's necessary to make the camera small, I
say--bologney. Look for instance at the Canon Powershot S410, which is
designated as "ultra-compact," has 4 megapixels, is current as of February
of this year--and yet, it uses Compact Flash.
(http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_s410.asp) Then there's
the Nikon Coolpix 4300 which is pretty good & small, it too uses Compact
Flash.

Where it concerns EXTREMELY small cameras like the Pentax Optio S-series
cameras, I can see it. But considering what Canon did with its S410 as small
as it is and it's Compact Flash based, I'm with the OP--I just don't see a
reason why the mad rush to SD cards. It's ridiculous.

It surely isn't inheriently quicker-writing medium. Else, why would
high-speed cameras like the Nikon D70--to say nothing of the Nikon D2H and
the Canon EOS-1D Mark II D-SLRs--use them. Compact Flash (at least the WA
cards) must be pretty fast if such cameras like that use them.

It's upsetting to me. So much so, if I were buying a new point & shoot type
of digital, I'd consider Canon over Nikon (and I've ALWAYS purchased Nikon,
though I have toyed with the Digital Rebel and D60 as of late) simply for
that one reason alone.

LRH

Derf 10-20-2004 04:34 AM

Re: Memory card question, CF&SD

Well good responce to the original question. The #1 rule in life,
REALLY, the #1 rule when you do not know why things are going the way
they are is.........................

FOLLOW THE TRAIL OF MONEY

So if you buy a new camera that does not use your many CF cards, I
guess you have to buy new ones now don't you? Applying rule #1 makes
perfect sence of why companies do things such as this.

hfs2 10-20-2004 11:16 PM

Re: Memory card question, CF&SD

Is the CF card the one with the 20-40(?) pin socket?
A camera with a CF connector seems designed to fail although
I can't say I've ever heard one doing so.

Unlike the sealed mmc, the sd card guts are open to the environment via
it's little write protect "lever". The unit we smashed at work
had unsealed circuity. Given the impedance of the devices simple
water would take it out. But it should be more rugged than 40(?) pin devices.
I hated to drop a CF in a bucket of mud. And why would I? :-)
I'd be more worried about a Coke.

CF cards are bigger. The mmc/sd is small enough to be a pain to deal
with if you are extremly old like me.

David Dyer-Bennet 10-24-2004 05:03 PM

mike writes:

> So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
> great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
> new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.
>
> What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
> that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
> change the whole media in just a two year period.

The SD cards are quite a bit smaller, to the point where it might
really make a difference for ultra-compace consumer digital cameras.
CF is still going strong, in all the pro-level cameras and some of the
others. You could consider shopping for a camera that will still take
your CF cards....
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>