Velocity Reviews

-   -   Beginner Question - Classes? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t406405-beginner-question-classes.html)

Janene 10-15-2004 03:43 PM

Beginner Question - Classes?

Apologies if this is not the most appropriate group for this question.
Please point me in the right direction if I am way off-base.

I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
one way or the other? Any insight?

Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
equipment for beginners?

TIA,
Janene

Dave Cohen 10-15-2004 03:55 PM

Re: Beginner Question - Classes?

Janene wrote:
> Apologies if this is not the most appropriate group for this question.
> Please point me in the right direction if I am way off-base.
>
> I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
> whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
> one way or the other? Any insight?
>
> Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
> equipment for beginners?
>
> TIA,
> Janene

I would go digital, but hold off on buying a camera as long as possible
so you'll get a better idea of what you might need. It will be a great
way to see a bunch of different models to compare feel & features.
Dave Cohen

ERich10983 10-15-2004 04:32 PM

Re: Beginner Question - Classes?

>I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
>whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
>one way or the other? Any insight?
>
>Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
>equipment for beginners?

When I teach my digital photo classes, I get a few students who don't have a
camera yet but want to become informed consumers. I cover a lot of the camera
and computer issues, but a lot of the class is devoted to purely photographic
issues such as exposure, composition, technique and how to see and recognize
good photo situations.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

GT40 10-15-2004 05:54 PM

On 15 Oct 2004 08:43:32 -0700, rippyl2000@yahoo.com (Janene) wrote:

>Apologies if this is not the most appropriate group for this question.
> Please point me in the right direction if I am way off-base.
>
>I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
>whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
>one way or the other? Any insight?
>
>Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
>equipment for beginners?

Go digital first, then if you can't get in, hit the other one. I
would talk to the instructor before you buy a camera.

Big Bill 10-15-2004 10:45 PM

Janene wrote:
> Apologies if this is not the most appropriate group for this question.
> Please point me in the right direction if I am way off-base.
>
> I am interested in taking a photograpy class, but I am not sure
> whether I should take digital or non-digital. Is it better to start
> one way or the other? Any insight?
>
> Either way, I am going to need to purchase a camera. Any advice on
> equipment for beginners?
>
> TIA,
> Janene

Are there any Community or Junior Colleges near you? They often have
photography classes for beginners. Some even break it down to film
*or* digital, some don't.

If you can't decide, an entry level film camera will be less expensive
than an entry level digital camera; unless you feel comfortable
getting a used digital for much less than new.

The basics of photography apply to both film and digital, so a
beginners class that requires a film camera (using a cheap camera)
will get you the basics for digital, too.

Good luck!

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

zeitgeist 10-16-2004 10:00 PM

Re: Beginner Question - Classes?

digital and analog photography is surprisingly similar, most classes would
be geared towards the cameras newbie photogs are buying.

I'd look at your local parks and rec dept, your local community college,
and/or adult education for classes, also look up PSA or other photo clubs
for classes, field trips and mentoring.

as for equipment, if you have a friend into photography, buy what they have
so you can share lenses and flash etc.