Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon A75 PowerPoint query--battery life (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t406175-canon-a75-powerpoint-query-battery-life.html)

MB_ 10-09-2004 09:00 PM

Canon A75 PowerPoint query--battery life

OK, I'm a newbie shopping for my first digital camera. I'm thinking of going
for the Canon A75 Powerpoint, but I am confused about battery life.

The reviews I've seen seems to say I can use 4 AA alkaline batteries and it
would give me about 350 pictures LCD and occassional flash. I am just not
sure what that means. I want to use it recreationally for family gatherings,
birthdays, etc. So, many pictures will be taken indoors. I assume that means
it will require a flash. So, how many pictures can I expect?? I'm not sure
what is meant by "occassional." Can someone quantify that a bit.

Also, it appears it will take NICA batteries (rechargeable) but the
recharger does not come with the camera. I saw mention of $56. for the
recharger. I have an old recharger that I think would work and if not I
assume I can get one for a lot less than $56. Am I missing something? Is
there some kind of proprietory recharger I would have to get?

Mel

Terence Gui 10-09-2004 09:01 PM

Re: Canon A75 PowerPoint query--battery life

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> OK, I'm a newbie shopping for my first digital camera. I'm thinking of

going
> for the Canon A75 Powerpoint, but I am confused about battery life.

I'm assuming you mean the Canon Powershot A75

> The reviews I've seen seems to say I can use 4 AA alkaline batteries and

it
> would give me about 350 pictures LCD and occassional flash. I am just not
> sure what that means. I want to use it recreationally for family

gatherings,
> birthdays, etc. So, many pictures will be taken indoors. I assume that

means
> it will require a flash. So, how many pictures can I expect?? I'm not sure
> what is meant by "occassional." Can someone quantify that a bit.

Actually, with AA alkaline batteries, you will not get much life of them at
all. The ones which came packaged with my A75 lasted about 30-40 shots (I
don't quite remember exactly). What you want to get are NiMH (Nickel Metal
Hydride) rechargeables - the batteries themselves are inexpensive. Depending
on the type of charger you get, expect to pay $20-$50 for one that will
charge 4 AA's at once.

150 shots is a good average to go by when using NiMH batteries. I've gotten
as little as ~100 shots and as much as ~180 shots on a fully charged set of
batteries. On a recent vacation to Europe, I did massive amounts of
previewing/deleting unwanted pictures on the LCD, which accounted for the
lower shot count, but I also brought along 2 sets of batteries and a
charger, so I was never worried.

hth,
Terence

---

Gerhard Kneidinger 10-09-2004 09:36 PM

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> OK, I'm a newbie shopping for my first digital camera. I'm thinking of

going
> for the Canon A75 Powerpoint, but I am confused about battery life.
>
> The reviews I've seen seems to say I can use 4 AA alkaline batteries and

it
> would give me about 350 pictures LCD and occassional flash. I am just not
> sure what that means. I want to use it recreationally for family

gatherings,
> birthdays, etc. So, many pictures will be taken indoors. I assume that

means
> it will require a flash. So, how many pictures can I expect?? I'm not sure
> what is meant by "occassional." Can someone quantify that a bit.
>
> Also, it appears it will take NICA batteries (rechargeable) but the
> recharger does not come with the camera. I saw mention of $56. for the
> recharger. I have an old recharger that I think would work and if not I
> assume I can get one for a lot less than $56. Am I missing something? Is
> there some kind of proprietory recharger I would have to get?
>
> Mel

I think the most important point you have to consider is, that you can
recharge
your batteries between 1 and 2 hours and a further option should be that you
can
plug in the recharger in the cigarette lighter socket in your car.

Gerhard

drs@canby.com 10-09-2004 11:11 PM

Re: Canon A75 PowerPoint query--battery life

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 17:00:14 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
wrote:

>OK, I'm a newbie shopping for my first digital camera. I'm thinking of going
>for the Canon A75 Powerpoint, but I am confused about battery life.

I have that camera. It has remarkable battery life. Over 400 shots per
set of alkaline. And many with rechargable. Using flash often but the
LCD set to just 3 seconds. A very fine little camera.

GeorgeB 10-21-2004 05:08 PM

Re: Canon A75 PowerPoint query--battery life

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 17:01:25 -0400, "Terence Gui"
<fumbler@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I'm assuming you mean the Canon Powershot A75
>
>Actually, with AA alkaline batteries, you will not get much life of them at
>all. The ones which came packaged with my A75 lasted about 30-40 shots (I
>don't quite remember exactly). What you want to get are NiMH (Nickel Metal
>Hydride) rechargeables - the batteries themselves are inexpensive. Depending
>on the type of charger you get, expect to pay $20-$50 for one that will
>charge 4 AA's at once.
>
>150 shots is a good average to go by when using NiMH batteries. I've gotten
>as little as ~100 shots and as much as ~180 shots on a fully charged set of
>batteries. On a recent vacation to Europe, I did massive amounts of
>previewing/deleting unwanted pictures on the LCD, which accounted for the
>lower shot count, but I also brought along 2 sets of batteries and a
>charger, so I was never worried.

I use NiMH on various other systems, and planned to use them on my new
A75. When I put a freshly charged set (I've tried 4 sets, all of
which work well on other applications, and one of wihc was brand new
(and charged)) in the camera, and turn it on, the camera tells me to
replace the batteries. Is there a setting to tell it I am using NiMH
(under 5.0V per set) vs alkaline (over 5.0V per set)?

TIA, George

Terence Gui 10-21-2004 08:12 PM

"GeorgeB" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message

> I use NiMH on various other systems, and planned to use them on my new
> A75. When I put a freshly charged set (I've tried 4 sets, all of
> which work well on other applications, and one of wihc was brand new
> (and charged)) in the camera, and turn it on, the camera tells me to
> replace the batteries. Is there a setting to tell it I am using NiMH
> (under 5.0V per set) vs alkaline (over 5.0V per set)?
>
> TIA, George

There are no settings for selecting battery type; you just put them in and
off you go. Since you've already tried 4 different sets of cameras, my guess
would be there's something wrong with the camera itself. Do a quick test and
bring the same batteries and try it out on a floor model form the store you
bought it from - if it works there then simply return your camera for a
replacement.

hth,
Terence

---