Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fuji film 7000 zoom and black/white archival (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t406043-fuji-film-7000-zoom-and-black-white-archival.html)

artemon 10-06-2004 02:24 AM

Fuji film 7000 zoom and black/white archival

I've have been impressed about 7000's sharpness (1600 lm/ph)
and although not the canon optics quality the detail for monochrome
work (aberation is less important here I guess) seems be promissing.
I haven't bought it yet (urgent need btw). so if any proud or less
proud owner could help
me in two questions:

1) does monochore mode in 12M (nominal ok) mode exist and helps
keep
file sizes more manegable? without hopefully extra time delays?

2) how about stability/repeatability of the focus? I use a VERY
stable rig to archive documents. that keeps the object_plane -to-lens
distance
quite constant for A4 size papers. Can this focus be locked in the
7000?
( I know that manual settings cannot be saved, pitty for that,
but hopefully can be fixed for a couple of hours work?)

Thanks for your input and if anybody can sugest another camera
for the above usage maybe Panasonic FZ10? Canon G6 or even A95?

I really liked the USB 2 support,
Canon is barking mad to keep the USB1.1 for G6 IMHO

G. ps DELETE nospam for email

artemon 10-06-2004 12:34 PM

Re: Fuji film 7000 zoom and black/white archival

Corection: monochrome, i.e. grayscale instead of
monochore surely:)

artem0nnospam@yahoo.com (artemon) wrote in message news:<f9045a66.0410051824.7495a67@posting.google.c om>...
> 1) does monochrome mode in 12M (nominal ok) mode exist and helps
> keep
> file sizes more manegable? without hopefully extra time delays?
> G. ps DELETE nospam for email

being on this B/W and grayscale wavelength, the grayscale is always
8bit (256 grayscales) on digital cameras? I realise the subject
line refers to B/W when grayscale is more appropriate.
thanks for the hints.

But some replies I got raise other questions:
the battery is not an big issue for me, as I use AC adapter for indoors.
But the xD memory is less power hugry than CF even for the
latest batch of S7000 ? is it a general issue with CF?

Conrad Weiler 10-06-2004 12:48 PM

Re: Fuji film 7000 zoom and black/white archival

<< But the xD memory is less power hugry than CF even for the
latest batch of S7000 ? is it a general issue with CF? >>

I use CF cards with my S7000 and don't notice any battery storage use problems.
I'm using NiMH sets of 4 and get very satisfactory use for about 200-250 shots
over time.

Best,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Larry 10-06-2004 10:46 PM

Re: Fuji film 7000 zoom and black/white archival

In article <f9045a66.0410060434.4639d570@posting.google.com >,
artem0nnospam@yahoo.com says...
> But some replies I got raise other questions:
> the battery is not an big issue for me, as I use AC adapter for indoors.
> But the xD memory is less power hugry than CF even for the
> latest batch of S7000 ? is it a general issue with CF?

The "battery hungry" problem was solved in later production runs of the
S7000.

I believe I read here that if you had an earlier S7000 Fuji would upgrade it
for you and make the problem go away.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.