Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question about memory cards in general (SanDisk in particular) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t405559-question-about-memory-cards-in-general-sandisk-in-particular.html)

kreature 09-22-2004 07:22 AM

Question about memory cards in general (SanDisk in particular)

Hello, everyone.
I am going to buy a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 5200), and was
wondering about what memory card to buy. Apart from the capacity, is
there a big difference in quality? Are there memory cards that give
"problems"? I have seen a SanDisk that is quite cheap in comparison to
other brands, and was wondering why is it... Are they "worse" than
other brands? Why?

Thanks everyone in advance!

GT40 09-22-2004 03:05 PM

Re: Question about memory cards in general (SanDisk in particular)

On 22 Sep 2004 00:22:04 -0700, sfernafelists@yahoo.com (kreature)
wrote:

>Hello, everyone.
>I am going to buy a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 5200), and was
>wondering about what memory card to buy. Apart from the capacity, is
>there a big difference in quality? Are there memory cards that give
>"problems"? I have seen a SanDisk that is quite cheap in comparison to
>other brands, and was wondering why is it... Are they "worse" than
>other brands? Why?
>
>Thanks everyone in advance!

Lexar are the best cards, esp when it comes to speed. However I just
bought a 512MB Sandisk card

Hornbill 09-22-2004 04:01 PM

Re: Question about memory cards in general (SanDisk in particular)

Why best??

Todd H. 09-22-2004 06:13 PM

sfernafelists@yahoo.com (kreature) writes:
> Hello, everyone.
> I am going to buy a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 5200), and was
> wondering about what memory card to buy. Apart from the capacity, is
> there a big difference in quality? Are there memory cards that give
> "problems"? I have seen a SanDisk that is quite cheap in comparison to
> other brands, and was wondering why is it... Are they "worse" than
> other brands? Why?
>
> Thanks everyone in advance!

Dunno, but I've got 256MB and 1G Sandisk compactFlash cards and
they've worked flawlessly with my Canon G2 and Rebels.

Memory tends to be memory, and I'm willing to bet that most of these
manufacturers are using the same flash memory chips underneath the
covers regardless. Neither Lexar nor Sandisk own an IC fab to my
knowledge.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

George E. Cawthon 09-28-2004 10:19 PM

Re: Question about memory cards in general (SanDisk in particular)

I don't have much experience but no problem with my 512 MB SanDisk. I
think they are more responsive to the quick changes in cost of memory
so that may be part of the difference in cost. The card I bought just
dropped from $65 at the first of the month to $49 last week.

GSW 09-29-2004 07:25 PM

Re: Question about memory cards in general (SanDisk in particular)

Sandisk has announced a Ultra III and Extreme III cards, they claim
20MB/s read/write on these new cards... They are also talking about 4
and 8GB cards

Meanwhile you can buy Sandisk Ulta II cards for as little as 80
cents/GB. Which is a pretty good deal for a card that is capable of
50X write and 66X read speeds.