Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   TV tuner for WinME and Linux (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t404200-tv-tuner-for-winme-and-linux.html)

sofasurfer 12-28-2006 08:31 AM

TV tuner for WinME and Linux
 
I want a TV tuner for WinME and/or Linux(probably Debian). I want TV in
and out for pc or tv viewing. I also want remote control. And of course
recording.

I like All-In-Wonder but that is only for Win XP.
I like Hauppuage but I read that it doesn't have much audio
capabilities.

What other choices are there?
I would like to have quality tv watching and recording.


Robert Baer 12-28-2006 09:54 PM

Re: TV tuner for WinME and Linux
 
sofasurfer wrote:

> I want a TV tuner for WinME and/or Linux(probably Debian). I want TV in
> and out for pc or tv viewing. I also want remote control. And of course
> recording.
>
> I like All-In-Wonder but that is only for Win XP.
> I like Hauppuage but I read that it doesn't have much audio
> capabilities.
>
> What other choices are there?
> I would like to have quality tv watching and recording.
>

I have an All-In-Wonder board and it definitely is *not* "only" for
XP; it will work for Win98SE and Win2K meaning it should work for WinME.
BTW, did you know that WinME is *VERY* picky?
ONE: You must install it from scratch, otherwise, to be polite, you
will have nothing but trucking fubbles.
TWO: If you ever remove hardware after an install, you will never get
that hardware to work again (unless you install WINME from scratch again).
THREE: By the same token, you cannot add hardware.
Bottom line: do *not* use WinME.

Only consider using the board in Linux if and only if you can find
drivers; good luck.

sofasurfer 12-29-2006 12:41 AM

Re: TV tuner for WinME and Linux
 

Robert Baer wrote:
> sofasurfer wrote:
>
> >

did you know that WinME is *VERY* picky?
> ONE: You must install it from scratch, otherwise, to be polite, you
> will have nothing but trucking fubbles.
> TWO: If you ever remove hardware after an install, you will never get
> that hardware to work again (unless you install WINME from scratch again).
> THREE: By the same token, you cannot add hardware.
> Bottom line: do *not* use WinME.
>
> Only consider using the board in Linux if and only if you can find
> drivers; good luck.


I used ME since it came out. People with problems are using the retail
version. OEM is very stable and works fine. Hardware can be removed and
reinstalled with no special problems.


Robert Baer 12-29-2006 03:25 AM

Re: TV tuner for WinME and Linux
 
sofasurfer wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>>sofasurfer wrote:
>>
>>

> did you know that WinME is *VERY* picky?
>
>> ONE: You must install it from scratch, otherwise, to be polite, you
>>will have nothing but trucking fubbles.
>> TWO: If you ever remove hardware after an install, you will never get
>>that hardware to work again (unless you install WINME from scratch again).
>> THREE: By the same token, you cannot add hardware.
>> Bottom line: do *not* use WinME.
>>
>> Only consider using the board in Linux if and only if you can find
>>drivers; good luck.

>
>
> I used ME since it came out. People with problems are using the retail
> version. OEM is very stable and works fine. Hardware can be removed and
> reinstalled with no special problems.
>

Did not know that about the OEM version.
Those that had excessive problems with WinME had upgraded, those that
had no problems had installed from scratch.

Robert Baer 01-10-2007 02:28 AM

Re: TV tuner for WinME and Linux
 
sofasurfer wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>>sofasurfer wrote:
>>
>>

> did you know that WinME is *VERY* picky?
>
>> ONE: You must install it from scratch, otherwise, to be polite, you
>>will have nothing but trucking fubbles.
>> TWO: If you ever remove hardware after an install, you will never get
>>that hardware to work again (unless you install WINME from scratch again).
>> THREE: By the same token, you cannot add hardware.
>> Bottom line: do *not* use WinME.
>>
>> Only consider using the board in Linux if and only if you can find
>>drivers; good luck.

>
>
> I used ME since it came out. People with problems are using the retail
> version. OEM is very stable and works fine. Hardware can be removed and
> reinstalled with no special problems.
>

I understand that is the case "only" for OEM versions.

Ardent 01-13-2007 01:50 PM

Re: TV tuner for WinME and Linux
 
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:54:31 GMT, Robert Baer
<robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

Sorry, I beg to disagree with you on all counts, based on actual hands
on experience. I too shoved the CD initially to the bottom drawer but
after getting hold of the patches, thanks to Axel
(http://www.mdgx.com/), I retrieved the CD from the bottom drawer and
had a go - and never looked back.


> BTW, did you know that WinME is *VERY* picky?


Not at all

> ONE: You must install it from scratch, otherwise, to be polite, you
>will have nothing but trucking fubbles.


No fubbles, works better than 98SE, I call it 98TE (Third Edition)

> TWO: If you ever remove hardware after an install, you will never get
>that hardware to work again (unless you install WINME from scratch again).


I have changed hardware, like video cards, winmodems, video capture
cards what not - no problems ever. In fact I even moved the hard disk
to another motherboard and ME loaded new drivers and worked
flawlessly.

> THREE: By the same token, you cannot add hardware.


Nothing like that.

> Bottom line: do *not* use WinME.


I know a lot of people use OEM WinME and never complained, still I
agree there were some glitches but people have found workarounds for
these.

I install and uninstall many software, at least one a day for
evaluation - as long as I used 98SE I had to go for a fresh install
every three months because of problems, if minor.

Since I installed ME several months back (with the necessary patches)
I never had to reinstall again. It works very well indeed, better than
98SE.

HTH

Archer




























--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Baron 01-13-2007 05:48 PM

Re: TV tuner for WinME and Linux
 
Ardent wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:54:31 GMT, Robert Baer
> <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I beg to disagree with you on all counts, based on actual
> hands on experience. I too shoved the CD initially to the bottom
> drawer but after getting hold of the patches, thanks to Axel
> (http://www.mdgx.com/), I retrieved the CD from the bottom drawer
> and had a go - and never looked back.
>
>
>> BTW, did you know that WinME is *VERY* picky?

>
> Not at all
>
>> ONE: You must install it from scratch, otherwise, to be polite,
>> you
>>will have nothing but trucking fubbles.

>
> No fubbles, works better than 98SE, I call it 98TE (Third Edition)
>
>> TWO: If you ever remove hardware after an install, you will never
>> get
>>that hardware to work again (unless you install WINME from scratch
>>again).

>
> I have changed hardware, like video cards, winmodems, video capture
> cards what not - no problems ever. In fact I even moved the hard
> disk to another motherboard and ME loaded new drivers and worked
> flawlessly.
>
>> THREE: By the same token, you cannot add hardware.

>
> Nothing like that.
>
>> Bottom line: do *not* use WinME.

>
> I know a lot of people use OEM WinME and never complained, still I
> agree there were some glitches but people have found workarounds for
> these.
>
> I install and uninstall many software, at least one a day for
> evaluation - as long as I used 98SE I had to go for a fresh install
> every three months because of problems, if minor.
>
> Since I installed ME several months back (with the necessary
> patches) I never had to reinstall again. It works very well indeed,
> better than 98SE.
>
> HTH
>
> Archer


ME was the only version that M$ allowed vendors to tinker with to suit
their own hardware. Clean installs from retail versions work great
with few troubles.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.