Velocity Reviews

-   -   re: Rebates ! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t404065-re-rebates.html)

- Bobb - 12-02-2006 05:07 PM

re: Rebates !

I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a
new laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7 days
I had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
If they can address the catalog overnight, why couldn't they put my
check in it ?

Alex Clayton 12-02-2006 05:17 PM

Re: Rebates !

>I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a new
>laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
> Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7 days I
> had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
> If they can address the catalog overnight, why couldn't they put my check
> in it ?

They do it the way they do because a lot of people will not follow the
instructions EXACTLY and never get the money. If you do not wish to bother
with the rebates, do not buy anything that has one, or pay full price and
don't bother with the rebate.
Moderation is for monks."

[Lazarus Long]

- Bobb - 12-02-2006 05:29 PM

Rebates !

I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a
new laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7 days
I had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
He asked rhetorically, "If they can address the catalog overnight, why
couldn't they put my check in it ?"

Barry Watzman 12-02-2006 05:42 PM

Re: Rebates !

It's almost a certainty that the catalog had nothing to do with the
laptop purchase.

Of course rebates are a pain and a nusiance. Most of them are never
redeemed (even on large rebates, $50 and more, the redemption rate is
only about 50%). Basically, it's a tax on the people who don't submit
them to the benefit of the people who do. Sometimes also called a tax
on the disorganized or lazy. I don't like them, but I do them, and I
save a lot of money by doing them.

- Bobb - 12-02-2006 11:39 PM

Re: Rebates !

> - Bobb - wrote:
>> I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a
>> new laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
>> Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7
>> days I had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
>> Rhetorically, if they can address the catalog overnight, why
>> couldn't they put my check in it ?
>>

> It's almost a certainty that the catalog had nothing to do with the
> laptop purchase.

I was only joking about putting a check inside . I understand WHY they
have rebates, and that they have to process my request, and the catalog
ships from elsewhere. No matter, I removed my address and left it on
the table at the doctor's office the other day.

As for coincidence, it definitely was sent to the name on their site..
1. The name on the address was the same as I registered ( not my formal
name)
2. I never had anything to do with / got anything from HP until this.

BillW50 12-03-2006 02:49 PM

Re: Rebates !

> - Bobb - wrote:
>> I find rebates a nuisance and this irritating ... I recently bought a
>> new laptop and went to HP site to register my PC.
>> Although it takes them 8 weeks to process my rebate check, within 7
>> days I had an HP Christmas catalog in my mailbox.
>> If they can address the catalog overnight, why couldn't they put my
>> check in it ?

> It's almost a certainty that the catalog had nothing to do with the
> laptop purchase.
>
> Of course rebates are a pain and a nusiance. Most of them are never
> redeemed (even on large rebates, $50 and more, the redemption rate is
> only about 50%). Basically, it's a tax on the people who don't submit
> them to the benefit of the people who do. Sometimes also called a tax
> on the disorganized or lazy. I don't like them, but I do them, and I
> save a lot of money by doing them.

No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may still
not get your rebate. Just in the last 6 months, I've been scammed this
way.

1) Directv offered $100 rebates on their high end receivers. I got 2 new
ones from Directv themselves who advertised the rebates. Guess what? The
rebate form was supposed to be in the box. It was not. So you don't get
the promised rebate.

2) TigerDirect offered a Gateway MX6124 for $499 after a $100 rebate.
They make you go through 4 hours of work to get it. Go to a website fill
out a form, wait for an email, do some more website stuff. Print all of
this stuff out and mail it in. Four and a half months later no check.

Of course there are many stories like this:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consu...madness01.html

It is do to the crap they teach in business colleges and universities.
It is called screw the customer and make the bottom line look great and
get a big bonus and leave before the trouble starts.

--
Bill

Mark T.B. Carroll 12-03-2006 03:44 PM

Re: Rebates !

"BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> writes:
(snip)
> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
> still not get your rebate.

(snip)

FWIW I've been very impressed by Staples' rebate process. Last time I
did it, I could do the whole thing online and track its progress easily.

-- Mark

BillW50 12-03-2006 05:00 PM

Re: Rebates !

"Mark T.B. Carroll" <Mark.Carroll@Aetion.com> wrote in message
> "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> writes:
> (snip)
>> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
>> still not get your rebate.

> (snip)
>
> FWIW I've been very impressed by Staples' rebate process. Last time I
> did it, I could do the whole thing online and track its progress
> easily.
>
> -- Mark

That's good to know Mark. But how long will that last? Staples will
replace the upper management in time and then it will be no better than
the other crooks!

--
Bill

- Bobb - 12-03-2006 05:17 PM

Re: Rebates -- Officemax

"Mark T.B. Carroll" <Mark.Carroll@Aetion.com> wrote in message
> "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> writes:
> (snip)
>> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
>> still not get your rebate.

> (snip)
>
> FWIW I've been very impressed by Staples' rebate process. Last time I
> did it, I could do the whole thing online and track its progress
> easily.
>
> -- Mark

I like Best Buy's the best - no more rebates - period.
But some ( like mine) can ONLY be done via paper mail. On mine, CompUSA
had a $280 online rebate that I did , but then I have to mail paperwork
to HP to get a check direectly from them. ( That's how this thread
started - I was AT the website and could have easily provded any
necessary info)

As for others getting "scammed" ... a few years ago I bought 2 items at
Office Max and submitted them for rebates.

The first postcard I got told me that it was refused due to "No UPC code
enclosed" ( it was the original so how could I produce another one
without buying another one). I had a copy but they said - "so what? we
need the original". In other words - you ain't getting this money. The
second postcard told me - get his - that I did not fill out my address
correctly. THEY SENT ME A FRIGGIN' POSTCARD - TO MY ADDRESS- TELLING ME
THAT THEY DID NOT KNOW MY ADDRESS. I came across it a few weeks ago
while cleaning up some old papers and put it aside. I think I'll frame
it and hang it on the wall in the study.

My neighbor bought an Epson printer there within this past year and I
warned him about the rebates and to keep all of his receipts, phone
numbers/ anything he might need if the $50 check didn't arrive. etc.
Well 30 days go by - he calls to be sure - it is " being processed" - no
rebate check. 60 days - no check - he calls again and was told that
"OfficeMax doesn't do rebates" Apparently they changed their policy
(like Bestbuy ) of no rebates - sale price up front. Officemax directed
him to an Epson number. He called - they said that they had no record of
him ........rathole... finally he went to the store with his
paperwork/phone records and started screaming ( I would have liked to
have been there) and the local store manager gave him a gift
certificate (to get him out of the crowded store). He never did get a
check from anyone in the mail.

P.S. I never ever bought another item there - and never will.

Notan 12-03-2006 05:18 PM

Re: Rebates !

BillW50 wrote:

> "Mark T.B. Carroll" <Mark.Carroll@Aetion.com> wrote in message
> > "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> writes:
> > (snip)
> >> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may
> >> still not get your rebate.

> > (snip)
> >
> > FWIW I've been very impressed by Staples' rebate process. Last time I
> > did it, I could do the whole thing online and track its progress
> > easily.
> >
> > -- Mark

> That's good to know Mark. But how long will that last? Staples will
> replace the upper management in time and then it will be no better than
> the other crooks!

And we'll all wither and die.

In the mean time, Staples' rebates work.

Notan