Velocity Reviews

-   -   strange ....? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t403539-strange.html)

Bob 08-23-2006 06:48 PM

strange ....?

Recently loaded XP home OS and everything appeared to be working ok.
Then I noted a strange problem. If I select most any desktop
application or item from the start menu, where the program is waiting
for me to make a choice, and I delay making a choice for a couple of
minutes, the computer freezes. No way to end the task or get it going
again without a master reset. There appears to be a timeout clock
running somewhere with a terminal stoppage at "0". Anyone have any
ideas? (other than pee faster or don't answer the phone)

Bob

RjK 08-23-2006 08:26 PM

Re: strange ....?

Anything listed in the event log?

news:1156358914.621350.135750@74g2000cwt.googlegro ups.com...

Ernie Werbel 08-23-2006 11:54 PM

Re: strange ....?

Bob wrote in message <1156358914.621350.135750@74g2000cwt.googlegroups. com>...
>Recently loaded XP home OS and everything appeared to be working ok.
>Then I noted a strange problem. If I select most any desktop
>application or item from the start menu, where the program is waiting
>for me to make a choice, and I delay making a choice for a couple of
>minutes, the computer freezes. No way to end the task or get it going
>again without a master reset. There appears to be a timeout clock
>running somewhere with a terminal stoppage at "0". Anyone have any
>ideas? (other than pee faster or don't answer the phone)
>
>Bob

I had that too. It sounds like it gets into a refresh loop or something to keep
the menu active and eventually causes a stack overflow. That is why I prefer
the Program Manager interface to the goofy Start Menu.

What did I do about it? I had XP on my laptop. I reformatted the hard disk and
installed Windows 3.11 and everything works great now.