Velocity Reviews

-   -   Installation for a high-speed cable connection? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t403514-installation-for-a-high-speed-cable-connection.html)

Trash Fish 08-17-2006 12:43 PM

Installation for a high-speed cable connection?

My apologies (sorry) if this is a bad question here and/or one that's
been previously asked many times in the past by others, but my
connection to the Internet is quite a slow one that's via dial-up modem
only and I'm currently considering upgrading to a high-speed
connection. My only ISP is AOL 9.0, and when I called AOL today they
told me that a high-speed AOL connection at my home is possible via
cable, although I've never had any cable TV at my home. I wanted to
find out details about what's involved for the installation process,
but unfortunately all they could tell me is that if I actually go ahead
& order the high-speed cable connection, they'll send me a "free
self-installation" kit. I seem to remember that there's also a
"professional installation" service available, but there's probably a
charge for it.

Sorry again about my ignorance about high-speed cable installation
processes, as I know almost nothing at all about them, but can anyone
please tell me what's involved in such installation processes? What is
done during the processes, how difficult or easy are they,
approximately how long do they take, etc.?

Also, if somehow I encounter any major or significant problems with a
new high-speed cable connection, would it be possible for me to easily

Any efforts to help will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Chet39 08-17-2006 01:46 PM

Re: Installation for a high-speed cable connection?

First you need to have a cable line run to your house if there isn't one
already. You should have at least one connection near where you will have
the computer or router.

The cable company will install what is called a cable modem which has a TV
cable connection on one end and either USB or Ethernet connection on the
other. Depending on the cable company the installation and service might
require you to sign up for basic TV service as well, whether you use it or
not.

The cable service provides several email addresses and full internet access
which you can access through Outlook Express and Internet Explorer which
came with your computer. At this point you should be wondering why you
would also pay AOL when you would have everything you need without them.
Having to give your friends a new email address is the only annoyance.

news:1155818606.807637.149510@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

Alex Clayton 08-17-2006 03:20 PM

Re: Installation for a high-speed cable connection?

"Trash Fish" <TrashFish9@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1155818606.807637.149510@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> My apologies (sorry) if this is a bad question here and/or one that's
> been previously asked many times in the past by others, but my
> connection to the Internet is quite a slow one that's via dial-up modem
> only and I'm currently considering upgrading to a high-speed
> connection. My only ISP is AOL 9.0, and when I called AOL today they
> told me that a high-speed AOL connection at my home is possible via
> cable, although I've never had any cable TV at my home. I wanted to
> find out details about what's involved for the installation process,
> but unfortunately all they could tell me is that if I actually go ahead
> & order the high-speed cable connection, they'll send me a "free
> self-installation" kit. I seem to remember that there's also a
> "professional installation" service available, but there's probably a
> charge for it.
>
> Sorry again about my ignorance about high-speed cable installation
> processes, as I know almost nothing at all about them, but can anyone
> please tell me what's involved in such installation processes? What is
> done during the processes, how difficult or easy are they,
> approximately how long do they take, etc.?
>
> Also, if somehow I encounter any major or significant problems with a
> new high-speed cable connection, would it be possible for me to easily
>
> Any efforts to help will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

First thing you should do is drop AOL. Look up your cable TV provider in
your area. Call them, and after you give them your address they can tell you
if they offer Broadband. They may offer you different ISP's, or you may have
to use them. Either way it will be far superior to what you have. Once they
run the cable it's no harder than hooking up a TV. You need a cable modem,
and wire. This is probably what the "self install kit" is. If you have a
laptop you can buy a wireless router and use your laptop anywhere in the
house, or even outside on the connection. if you have more than one desktop
you can buy an adapter to hook them into the wireless system also. After I
finally did it I wondered why I waited so long to switch.
Moderation is for monks."

[Lazarus Long]

tony sayer 08-17-2006 05:21 PM

Re: Installation for a high-speed cable connection?

In article <1155818606.807637.149510@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
Trash Fish <TrashFish9@aol.com> writes
>My apologies (sorry) if this is a bad question here and/or one that's
>been previously asked many times in the past by others, but my
>connection to the Internet is quite a slow one that's via dial-up modem
>only and I'm currently considering upgrading to a high-speed
>connection. My only ISP is AOL 9.0, and when I called AOL today they
>told me that a high-speed AOL connection at my home is possible via
>cable, although I've never had any cable TV at my home. I wanted to
>find out details about what's involved for the installation process,
>but unfortunately all they could tell me is that if I actually go ahead
>& order the high-speed cable connection, they'll send me a "free
>self-installation" kit. I seem to remember that there's also a
>"professional installation" service available, but there's probably a
>charge for it.
>
>Sorry again about my ignorance about high-speed cable installation
>processes, as I know almost nothing at all about them, but can anyone
>please tell me what's involved in such installation processes? What is
>done during the processes, how difficult or easy are they,
>approximately how long do they take, etc.?
>
>Also, if somehow I encounter any major or significant problems with a
>new high-speed cable connection, would it be possible for me to easily
>
>Any efforts to help will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Are you in the UK or the USofA ?...
--
Tony Sayer

Duane Arnold 08-18-2006 01:53 AM

Trash Fish wrote:
> My apologies (sorry) if this is a bad question here and/or one that's
> been previously asked many times in the past by others, but my
> connection to the Internet is quite a slow one that's via dial-up modem
> only and I'm currently considering upgrading to a high-speed
> connection. My only ISP is AOL 9.0, and when I called AOL today they
> told me that a high-speed AOL connection at my home is possible via
> cable, although I've never had any cable TV at my home. I wanted to
> find out details about what's involved for the installation process,
> but unfortunately all they could tell me is that if I actually go ahead
> & order the high-speed cable connection, they'll send me a "free
> self-installation" kit. I seem to remember that there's also a
> "professional installation" service available, but there's probably a
> charge for it.

There is most likely as charge for them coming out, but not on the first
time setup. I have never had to pay for it.

> Sorry again about my ignorance about high-speed cable installation
> processes, as I know almost nothing at all about them, but can anyone
> please tell me what's involved in such installation processes? What is
> done during the processes, how difficult or easy are they,
> approximately how long do they take, etc.?

If you want to know what's going to happen and how long it's going to
take for the setup, then call the ISP. The ISP and their install person
will tell you everything you need to know.

> Also, if somehow I encounter any major or significant problems with a
> new high-speed cable connection, would it be possible for me to easily

I am on the road and I switch between my dial-up ISP to get my email,
post to you, etc and use the hotel's wireless BB to surf with the
browser. I do this everyday, while I am on the road.

Duane :)

David Azose 08-19-2006 02:02 PM

Duane Arnold wrote:
> Trash Fish wrote:
>> My apologies (sorry) if this is a bad question here and/or one that's
>> been previously asked many times in the past by others, but my
>> connection to the Internet is quite a slow one that's via dial-up modem
>> only and I'm currently considering upgrading to a high-speed
>> connection. My only ISP is AOL 9.0, and when I called AOL today they
>> told me that a high-speed AOL connection at my home is possible via
>> cable, although I've never had any cable TV at my home. I wanted to
>> find out details about what's involved for the installation process,
>> but unfortunately all they could tell me is that if I actually go ahead
>> & order the high-speed cable connection, they'll send me a "free
>> self-installation" kit. I seem to remember that there's also a
>> "professional installation" service available, but there's probably a
>> charge for it.

> There is most likely as charge for them coming out, but not on the first
> time setup. I have never had to pay for it.
>>
>> Sorry again about my ignorance about high-speed cable installation
>> processes, as I know almost nothing at all about them, but can anyone
>> please tell me what's involved in such installation processes? What is
>> done during the processes, how difficult or easy are they,
>> approximately how long do they take, etc.?

> If you want to know what's going to happen and how long it's going to
> take for the setup, then call the ISP. The ISP and their install person
> will tell you everything you need to know.
>>
>> Also, if somehow I encounter any major or significant problems with a
>> new high-speed cable connection, would it be possible for me to easily

> I am on the road and I switch between my dial-up ISP to get my email,
> post to you, etc and use the hotel's wireless BB to surf with the
> browser. I do this everyday, while I am on the road.
>
> Duane :)

Hi Duane,

There are 2 varieties of high speed Internet connection: 1)Cable and
2)DSL. You mentioned cable in your email and as that is what I have,
I'll share my experience with you.

You don't need to already have cable television in your home to use high
speed cable to access the Internet. The cable company can (and in your
case, will) connect a cable from their company to your home for just
high speed Internet use.

The cable company will come to your home and determine where the cable
wire should enter your house. They will have to drill a hole through
your house, just as your regular telephone line comes into the house. It
should be near where your computer is. The cable is exactly the same
type as one that goes to the back of your television set, including the
connector on the end of the cable.

Once the cable is in your house, the installer person from the cable
company might install a cable modem. "Professional installation" varies
from cable company to cable company, but in any case, you certainly can
plug in the wires to the modem if he simply leaves you with one. The
modem is an external piece of electronics, with it's own case and power
cord. It has blinking lights on the front that indicate that the power
is on and that the modem is receiving Internet signals from the cable
company.

On the back side of the modem there is a connector for the cable from
the cable company. This can be considered the "IN" side of the modem.
For the "OUT" side (which would go the your computer) there is a
connector that looks like a regular telephone jack, but slightly larger.
This is a standard network connector and uses a cable called a CAT
6(short for CATEGORY 6)cable. The cable company should supply this.

Your computer should have a network port (a network interface card
inside your computer that has the jack that looks like a regular
telephone jack, only slightly larger). If your computer does not have
such a port,then you may need to opt for the "professional installation"
so the installer can install one. The installer person (or you) will
then connect the CAT6 cable from the "OUT" of the modem to the
computer's network port.

At this point, if you opt to not have the "professional installation"
the cable installer person will leave you with some account information,
such as a "user name" and "password" and perhaps some weird numbers, and
a CD disk. This disk has a "wizard" type of program that walks you
through the setting up of your Internet connection account. You should
try to use the disk to set things up yourself first. But if you can't,
you can always call for the "professional installation" later.

You can always go back to using you regular dial-up connection. But my
experience is once you try a high speed connection, it's difficult going
back. Good luck.

David A.

Duane Arnold 08-19-2006 03:30 PM

David Azose wrote:
> Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>> Trash Fish wrote:
>>
>>> My apologies (sorry) if this is a bad question here and/or one that's
>>> been previously asked many times in the past by others, but my
>>> connection to the Internet is quite a slow one that's via dial-up modem
>>> only and I'm currently considering upgrading to a high-speed
>>> connection. My only ISP is AOL 9.0, and when I called AOL today they
>>> told me that a high-speed AOL connection at my home is possible via
>>> cable, although I've never had any cable TV at my home. I wanted to
>>> find out details about what's involved for the installation process,
>>> but unfortunately all they could tell me is that if I actually go ahead
>>> & order the high-speed cable connection, they'll send me a "free
>>> self-installation" kit. I seem to remember that there's also a
>>> "professional installation" service available, but there's probably a
>>> charge for it.

>> There is most likely as charge for them coming out, but not on the
>> first time setup. I have never had to pay for it.
>>

>>> Sorry again about my ignorance about high-speed cable installation
>>> processes, as I know almost nothing at all about them, but can anyone
>>> please tell me what's involved in such installation processes? What is
>>> done during the processes, how difficult or easy are they,
>>> approximately how long do they take, etc.?

>> If you want to know what's going to happen and how long it's going to
>> take for the setup, then call the ISP. The ISP and their install
>> person will tell you everything you need to know.
>>

>>> Also, if somehow I encounter any major or significant problems with a
>>> new high-speed cable connection, would it be possible for me to easily

>> I am on the road and I switch between my dial-up ISP to get my email,
>> post to you, etc and use the hotel's wireless BB to surf with the
>> browser. I do this everyday, while I am on the road.
>>
>> Duane :)
>>

> Hi Duane,
>
> There are 2 varieties of high speed Internet connection: 1)Cable and
> 2)DSL. You mentioned cable in your email and as that is what I have,
> I'll share my experience with you.

I know this.

> You don't need to already have cable television in your home to use high
> speed cable to access the Internet. The cable company can (and in your
> case, will) connect a cable from their company to your home for just
> high speed Internet use.

I know this.

> The cable company will come to your home and determine where the cable
> wire should enter your house. They will have to drill a hole through
> your house, just as your regular telephone line comes into the house. It
> should be near where your computer is. The cable is exactly the same
> type as one that goes to the back of your television set, including the
> connector on the end of the cable.

I know this and besides, anywhere I have lived over the last 20 years or
so has not been without cable.

> Once the cable is in your house, the installer person from the cable
> company might install a cable modem. "Professional installation" varies
> from cable company to cable company, but in any case, you certainly can
> plug in the wires to the modem if he simply leaves you with one. The
> modem is an external piece of electronics, with it's own case and power
> cord. It has blinking lights on the front that indicate that the power
> is on and that the modem is receiving Internet signals from the cable
> company.

I know this and it's been a few times where I had to tell the install
person what to do.

> On the back side of the modem there is a connector for the cable from
> the cable company. This can be considered the "IN" side of the modem.
> For the "OUT" side (which would go the your computer) there is a
> connector that looks like a regular telephone jack, but slightly larger.
> This is a standard network connector and uses a cable called a CAT
> 6(short for CATEGORY 6)cable. The cable company should supply this.

I know this, since I am the one who has to support my network of
computers on the LAN.

> Your computer should have a network port (a network interface card
> inside your computer that has the jack that looks like a regular
> telephone jack, only slightly larger). If your computer does not have
> such a port,then you may need to opt for the "professional installation"
> so the installer can install one. The installer person (or you) will
> then connect the CAT6 cable from the "OUT" of the modem to the
> computer's network port.

It's connected to the WAN port on my FW appliance and you'll notice I am
not saying my router.

> At this point, if you opt to not have the "professional installation"
> the cable installer person will leave you with some account information,
> such as a "user name" and "password" and perhaps some weird numbers, and
> a CD disk. This disk has a "wizard" type of program that walks you
> through the setting up of your Internet connection account. You should
> try to use the disk to set things up yourself first. But if you can't,
> you can always call for the "professional installation" later.

I don't need the professional installer to do anything. If I move to a
new location and need an ISP cable for the Internet, I give the MAC of
the cable modem and the MAC of the first device past the modem to the ISP.

The would be the MAC of the router or the FW appliance I am now using so
that they could be provisioned by the ISP and linked to my account so
that my machines can share the single IP from the ISP, because the NAT
mapping technology the router or FW appliance provides the means to
share the single IP from the ISP for all machines on my LAN.

> You can always go back to using you regular dial-up connection. But my
> experience is once you try a high speed connection, it's difficult going
> back. Good luck.

No doubt. But when you're in a hotel room, the laptop uses DUN and
wireless BB network of the hotel to access the Internet.

Duane :)

Trash Fish 08-20-2006 08:39 AM

Re: Installation for a high-speed cable connection?

Thanks for all the replies & efforts to help (it's all greatly
appreciated), and sorry about not replying sooner, but I don't check
this newsgroup every day. Anyway, I think David Azose meant to tell me
what he told Duane Arnold, but inadvertently called me "Duane" instead
of my name. I'm in a midwestern state of the USA, to answer Tony
Sayer's question. As I previously said, I've never had any cable TV at
my home; in fact, I don't even want any cable TV at my home, even if
it's free, because I already watch enough network TV and have a fear of
becoming addicted to watching too much TV if I were to ever get any
cable TV. And as strange as it may sound, I actually prefer to stay on
AOL, as ignominious as they are, because I've become quite used to AOL
& the features that they offer, and even more so, I don't want to
discontinue AOL because I have thousands of important e-mails saved on
AOL in my AOL "Personal Filing Cabinets".

If AOL told me that high-speed cable service is available to my home
location in particular, does that mean that a cable line has already
been run to my home? I called them, but they said that they can't give
any details about the installation process unless I actually go ahead &
order their cable service, but the problem is that I don't want to do
that until I know more about the installation process!

I bought my current PC in early Nov. '04 and it's a Sony VAIO
PCV-RS720G, so I assume or presume that it probably already has a
network port (network interface card inside it). If it in fact does,
then does that mean that my PC doesn't have to be opened at all for the
cable installation process? Conversely, if it doesn't, then does that
necessarily mean that my PC definitely has to be opened up to install
the network port?

Also, what happens if I would like more than just one of my PC's to get
cable service? I have 2 other PC's that I use sometimes such that it
would be nice, but not absolutely necessary, for them to also get cable
service.

Similarly in regards to cable, I also know almost nothing at all about
DSL either, but given my personal situation that I've described, would
DSL actually be better for me than cable? How does DSL differ from
cable, especially in terms of the installation process, and in terms of
advantages & disadvantages?

Sorry about asking so many questions & being so ignorant about these
things, but I'm not necessarily asking *every*one to answer *all* of my
questions, and again, any efforts at all to help will be greatly
appreciated - thanks very much.

PS - Anyone possibly know of any good sites on the Internet that could
help educate me about these things?

David Azose 08-20-2006 03:59 PM

Trash Fish wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies & efforts to help (it's all greatly
> appreciated), and sorry about not replying sooner, but I don't check
> this newsgroup every day. Anyway, I think David Azose meant to tell me
> what he told Duane Arnold, but inadvertently called me "Duane" instead
> of my name. I'm in a midwestern state of the USA, to answer Tony
> Sayer's question. As I previously said, I've never had any cable TV at
> my home; in fact, I don't even want any cable TV at my home, even if
> it's free, because I already watch enough network TV and have a fear of
> becoming addicted to watching too much TV if I were to ever get any
> cable TV. And as strange as it may sound, I actually prefer to stay on
> AOL, as ignominious as they are, because I've become quite used to AOL
> & the features that they offer, and even more so, I don't want to
> discontinue AOL because I have thousands of important e-mails saved on
> AOL in my AOL "Personal Filing Cabinets".
>
> If AOL told me that high-speed cable service is available to my home
> location in particular, does that mean that a cable line has already
> been run to my home? I called them, but they said that they can't give
> any details about the installation process unless I actually go ahead &
> order their cable service, but the problem is that I don't want to do
> that until I know more about the installation process!
>
> I bought my current PC in early Nov. '04 and it's a Sony VAIO
> PCV-RS720G, so I assume or presume that it probably already has a
> network port (network interface card inside it). If it in fact does,
> then does that mean that my PC doesn't have to be opened at all for the
> cable installation process? Conversely, if it doesn't, then does that
> necessarily mean that my PC definitely has to be opened up to install
> the network port?
>
> Also, what happens if I would like more than just one of my PC's to get
> cable service? I have 2 other PC's that I use sometimes such that it
> would be nice, but not absolutely necessary, for them to also get cable
> service.
>
> Similarly in regards to cable, I also know almost nothing at all about
> DSL either, but given my personal situation that I've described, would
> DSL actually be better for me than cable? How does DSL differ from
> cable, especially in terms of the installation process, and in terms of
> advantages & disadvantages?
>
> Sorry about asking so many questions & being so ignorant about these
> things, but I'm not necessarily asking *every*one to answer *all* of my
> questions, and again, any efforts at all to help will be greatly
> appreciated - thanks very much.
>
> PS - Anyone possibly know of any good sites on the Internet that could
> help educate me about these things?

Hi,

Sorry for my mis-delivery before. I thought I was answering you and not
Duane.

When AOL said that cable was available in your area they did NOT mean
that there is a cable already run to your house. In fact, I don't
believe AOL is a cable company (they would simply use a cable company's
cables for their service. That's why someone earlier suggested that you
not even use AOL. Instead, find out what cable company services your
area and call them directly). In any case, the cable company would need
to run a cable from the nearest telephone pole (or other point where
they have run their cable) to your house, drill a hole into your house,
and run the cable into your house. In my case, this took about 2 hours.

Your computer is new enough that I'm fairly certain it has a network
port so it does not have to be opened up. I believe (but I'm not
certain) that some modems also have a USB port that can connect to your
computer through its USB port. Again, I don't have any hard data, but my
intuition tells me this would be less desirable than a network port.

The main difference between cable and DSL is that DSL uses the telephone
line instead of the cable company's cable. In terms of the installation
process, I suspect they would be identical. But, DSL is not available
everywhere since you must be within a certain distance from a telephone
company switch, and many homes are not. Cable is certainly more popular
than DSL and cable generally also has a slight speed advantage over DSL.

The fact that you might want more than one computer connected to the
Internet is the most common situation for most people, especially
families. The solution is to buy a router. There are 2 main varieties of
routers: Wired only and Wireless + Wired. I suggest you get the Wireless
+ Wired as the cost is only slightly higher than the wired only kind and
it is more versatile.

A router has several desirable functions. It has a safety feature called
a built in hardware firewall. This means that there is a physical,
electronic separation between the Internet signals coming from the
outside world and any computers connected to the router. The most common
routers also have a built in switch which is a fancy way of saying it
has 1 "IN" port and several (usually 4) "OUT" ports to which up to 4
computer can be connected with CAT6 network wires. All the computers
connected to the router can be on the Internet at the same time.

If the router is a wireless router, it works similarly to a wireless
telephone. If you have a laptop with wireless capability, then that
laptop can communicate with the wireless router (no need to have it
wired to the router) and also be on the Internet. Most desktop computers
don't normally come with wireless capability, but that can be added by
installing a wireless card inside the computer if desired. Many (more
than 200!) wireless computers can access the wireless router at the same
time if they are all within range of the wireless router.

There are many brands of routers. The one I have is a Linksys and if you
go to their website (www.linksys.com) I believe they have lots of
information on setting up a network using a wireless router. Other
brands are Dlink, Netgear, 3Com. Good luck.

David Azose