Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows clock (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t403443-windows-clock.html)

chet 08-01-2006 10:08 AM

Windows clock

I have windows XP. about twice a week I have to keep resetting the
clock. always loses 3 hrs. can it be my battery! computer is 6-7 yrs old

Chet

Tee Jay 08-01-2006 12:43 PM

Re: Windows clock

chet wrote:
> I have windows XP. about twice a week I have to keep resetting the
> clock. always loses 3 hrs. can it be my battery! computer is 6-7 yrs old
>

> Chet

Yes. Easy fix (usually) to replace open tower, find cell (watch battery)
replace from local drugstore. (match battery type). Reset and correctly
set BIOS. (write settings down before battery switch if you are not sure.)
Tee Jay

Gel 08-01-2006 07:44 PM

Re: Windows clock

Battery usually CR2032 in desktops.

Sjouke Burry 08-01-2006 08:10 PM

Re: Windows clock

chet wrote:
> I have windows XP. about twice a week I have to keep resetting the
> clock. always loses 3 hrs. can it be my battery! computer is 6-7 yrs old
>

> Chet

I use Atomic clock Sync,
see http://www.worldtimeserver.com

0054040905416 08-02-2006 02:43 AM

Re: Windows clock

"chet" <chet@epix.net> wrote in message
>I have windows XP. about twice a week I have to keep resetting the clock.
>always loses 3 hrs. can it be my battery! computer is 6-7 yrs old
>

> Chet

It could be a faulty battery, as suggested. Although you could synchronize
your computer with a service like www.time.com, you probably should look
into the battery as well. Most batteries of this type typically last about
five years and if you let it go, you're just waiting to lose your BIOS
configuration. I've seen this happen in many 486's I've worked on and the
problem was a dead battery.

blacklotus90 08-02-2006 04:27 PM

Re: Windows clock

I would say it's almost definitely the battery. If you open up your
computer, on the motherboard, there should be a small battery, like a
watch battery, but maybe an inch across, about the size of a quarter.
As suggested above, some hardware or electronics stores may stock them.
Also, if your town has a computer recycling/buildng center (FreeGeek,
etc.) you should ask them, at my local FreeGeek, they usually have a
bucket full. Another thing, do not remove the battery until you are
ready to put a new one in, otherwise all your clock and BIOS settings
will be reset anyway.

blackmail78@mail.ru 08-08-2006 07:08 PM

Re: Windows clock

for synchronization use nice clock
http://www.drive-software.com/atomicalarmclock.html

blacklotus90 08-09-2006 04:44 PM

Re: Windows clock

Oh and by the way, it's usually a good idea to take digital camera
pictures or write down your BIOS settings before you replace the
battery, and even if you don't go through that process, photos or a
list can help in the future should any similar problems arise.