Velocity Reviews

-   -   Standard or Widescreen monitor? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t403374-standard-or-widescreen-monitor.html)

Bazzer Smith 07-20-2006 11:54 PM

Standard or Widescreen monitor?

I will be buying a new monitor but which type should I buy?
I will admit I am not widescreens biggest 'fan', however what I
like is pretty immaterial as I can't control the format in which
other people produce 'media'.
I currently have a bog standard 14" CRT monitor but I think I will
be going flatscreen (LCD etc) because I want a good sized monitor
and CRT takes up too much room really.
Even now some sites seem to be standard and other widescreen so
whatever I get it wil be 'wrong'. (Thanks to the 'inventor' of widescreen).

Do any of you have a WS monitor?

Do you like them?

I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in
height.
For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about half
the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
through
90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

Also there is all the toolbars etc (google norton etc...) which reduce the
vertical
height of the screen anyway, making my standard monitor, widescreen in a
way,
on a true widescreen monitor doesn't this look kind of ridulous? The
'useable'
screen area must be 5.75 by 10.75 which is a ratio of 1.86:1
on a WS monitor the situation will be even worse, I am thinking it is going
be close to 2.5:1 or even 3:1.

Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen area, its
a bit
har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis you have 3 (tool)bars
at the top and the start button bar at the bottom. There is also a
'mini-bar'
above both these bars, in a normal set up.

Another point is 'native resolution', or whatever, will this affect things?

I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?
I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV
on my PC, but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in
a nicely framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing space as you
do on a proper TV.

Rod Speed 07-21-2006 12:17 AM

Re: Standard or Widescreen monitor?

Bazzer Smith <me@invalid.net> wrote:

> I will be buying a new monitor but which type should I buy?

> I will admit I am not widescreens biggest 'fan', however what I like is pretty
> immaterial as I can't control the format in which other people produce 'media'.

Yep, most obviously with movies etc.

> I currently have a bog standard 14" CRT monitor but I think I will be going flatscreen
> (LCD etc) because I want a good sized monitor and CRT takes up too much room really.

Yeah, a couple of 19" CRTs takes up quite a bit of space.

> Even now some sites seem to be standard and other widescreen so whatever I get it wil be
> 'wrong'. (Thanks to the 'inventor' of widescreen).

Thats life.

> Do any of you have a WS monitor?

Yes, on the laptop.

> Do you like them?

Yes, but that is because the main reason I got it was to be
able to play captured digital TV on it when bottling the beer.
It takes about a hour to bottle a batch and its too boring.

It is a significant downside with my Access databases, quite a
few of them, including the beer database have been optimised
to get as much info as possible on the screen and that obviously
needs to be done for the conventional format monitors, so you
end up with unused space on the widescreen monitors.

> I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in height.

> For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem
> in say Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only
> see about half the page, it will be much worse on a WS.

In practice its not really much of a problem. I was reading
Clinton's memoirs on the laptop the other morning because
the power had failed and that was the only thing still going.
You have to page in the original pages anyway, so another
page or two per original page is really neither here nor there.
And any decently designed pdf doesnt use A4 pages anyway.

> I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

Dunno, havent noticed that for many years now.

> Also there is all the toolbars etc (google norton etc...) which reduce the vertical
> height of the screen anyway, making my standard monitor, widescreen in a way, on a true
> widescreen monitor doesn't this look kind of ridulous?

In theory you'd think it would, but in practice its
not a problem, essentially because so few web
pages even attempt to fit on the monitor vertically.

> The 'useable' screen area must be 5.75 by 10.75 which is a ratio of 1.86:1 on a WS
> monitor the situation will be even worse, I am thinking it is going to be close to 2.5:1
> or even 3:1.

I doubt its as much as that.

> Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen
> area, its a bit har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis you have 3
> (tool)bars at the top and the start button bar at the bottom. There is also a 'mini-bar'
> above both these bars, in a normal set up.

I cant see that it matters much given that so few web
pages even attempt to fit on the screen vertically.

> Another point is 'native resolution', or whatever, will this affect things?

Nope.

> I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?

Really depends on whether you plan to watch much
in the way of widescreen movies etc on the monitor.

> I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV on my PC, but the
> monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in a nicely framed box, you don't get
> black ugly bars wasteing space as you do on a proper TV.

You do get ugly black bars at the top and bottom when you
watch widescreen format movies and TV on a conventional monitor.

Owain 07-21-2006 12:36 AM

Bazzer Smith wrote:
> I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in
> height.
> For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
> Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about half
> the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
> through 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

Yes.

However if you get a big enough monitor then widescreen or landscape is
nice for viewing a 2 x A4 spread.

> Also there is all the toolbars etc (google norton etc...) which reduce the
> vertical height of the screen anyway,

Can't you move at least some of them to the side?

> Another point is 'native resolution', or whatever, will this affect things?

Yes. Always best to run at native resolution for the LCD as otherwise
can get a bit fuzzy although newer LCDs seem a lot better than they used
to be at adjusting. First check the possibilities of your current video card

> I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?

Probably, as (a) you don't seem to like widescreen much, and (b) they
usually cost a bit more. Remember to get the same *height* you need to
buy a bigger diagonal screen size with widescreen compared to ordinary
screen.

Owain

Bazzer Smith 07-21-2006 12:58 AM

Re: Standard or Widescreen monitor?

>> The 'useable' screen area must be 5.75 by 10.75 which is a ratio of
>> 1.86:1 on a WS monitor the situation will be even worse, I am thinking it
>> is going to be close to 2.5:1 or even 3:1.

> I doubt its as much as that.

Well considering my 1.33:1 went to 1.86:1 thats + 0.53 so on a
16:9 (1.77:1) that's 2.3:1, and I believeit would be worse than that
because you have less height to lose in the first place.
I will do the 'proper maths' later when I have more time and less beer :O)

Bazzer Smith 07-21-2006 01:00 AM

Re: Standard or Widescreen monitor?

>> Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen
>> area, its a bit har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis you
>> have 3 (tool)bars at the top and the start button bar at the bottom.
>> There is also a 'mini-bar' above both these bars, in a normal set up.

> I cant see that it matters much given that so few web
> pages even attempt to fit on the screen vertically.

It is when reading text you have to scroll horizontal ever line, vertically
it
is only every 20 lines or so.

Bazzer Smith 07-21-2006 01:04 AM

Re: Standard or Widescreen monitor?

>> I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV on my PC,
>> but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in a nicely
>> framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing space as you do on a
>> proper TV.

> You do get ugly black bars at the top and bottom when you
> watch widescreen format movies and TV on a conventional monitor.

Well you do sometimes if they are actually transmitted with black bars,
but if it is a standard 4:3 or 16:9 the 'Stick' I have puts it in the
correct
shaped box for you.

Actually I am thinking I would be better off ditching the TV altogether,
and having a PC with two (or three?) monitors, if thats possible?

Rod Speed 07-21-2006 01:06 AM

Re: Standard or Widescreen monitor?

Bazzer Smith <me@invalid.net> wrote:
>>> Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen
>>> area, its a bit har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis
>>> you have 3 (tool)bars at the top and the start button bar at the
>>> bottom. There is also a 'mini-bar' above both these bars, in a
>>> normal set up.

>> I cant see that it matters much given that so few web
>> pages even attempt to fit on the screen vertically.

> It is when reading text you have to scroll horizontal ever line,
> vertically it is only every 20 lines or so.

OK, but the better browsers fix that horiz scrolling problem.

Rod Speed 07-21-2006 01:08 AM

Re: Standard or Widescreen monitor?

Bazzer Smith <me@invalid.net> wrote:
>>> I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV on
>>> my PC, but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch
>>> in a nicely framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing
>>> space as you do on a proper TV.

>> You do get ugly black bars at the top and bottom when you
>> watch widescreen format movies and TV on a conventional monitor.

> Well you do sometimes if they are actually transmitted with black
> bars, but if it is a standard 4:3 or 16:9 the 'Stick' I have puts it
> in the correct
> shaped box for you.
>

> Actually I am thinking I would be better off ditching the TV
> altogether, and having a PC with two (or three?) monitors, if thats
> possible?

Yes, its certainly possible.

I still have a massive great widescreen TV on both of the main PCs tho.

Agamemnon 07-21-2006 01:09 AM

"Bazzer Smith" <me@invalid.net> wrote in message
>I will be buying a new monitor but which type should I buy?
> I will admit I am not widescreens biggest 'fan', however what I
> like is pretty immaterial as I can't control the format in which
> other people produce 'media'.
> I currently have a bog standard 14" CRT monitor but I think I will
> be going flatscreen (LCD etc) because I want a good sized monitor
> and CRT takes up too much room really.
> Even now some sites seem to be standard and other widescreen so
> whatever I get it wil be 'wrong'. (Thanks to the 'inventor' of
> widescreen).
>
> Do any of you have a WS monitor?
>
> Do you like them?
>
> I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort
> in height.
> For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
> Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about
> half
> the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
> through
> 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?
>
> Also there is all the toolbars etc (google norton etc...) which reduce the
> vertical
> height of the screen anyway, making my standard monitor, widescreen in a
> way,
> on a true widescreen monitor doesn't this look kind of ridulous? The
> 'useable'
> screen area must be 5.75 by 10.75 which is a ratio of 1.86:1
> on a WS monitor the situation will be even worse, I am thinking it is
> going to
> be close to 2.5:1 or even 3:1.
>
> Can anyone with a WS monitor tell me the ratio of the free screen area,
> its a bit
> har d for me to work out. I am working on the basis you have 3 (tool)bars
> at the top and the start button bar at the bottom. There is also a
> 'mini-bar'
> above both these bars, in a normal set up.
>

> Another point is 'native resolution', or whatever, will this affect
> things?
>
> I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?
> I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV
> on my PC, but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in
> a nicely framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing space as you
> do on a proper TV.

Get a 19 inch or larger CRT that can display up to 1920x1440 resolution or
over. Then you will be able to watch HD movies at 1920x1080 and tile 4
wordprocessor or internet explorer windows on the screen at the same time
and have no problems with loss of usable area. (LCD's only go up to
1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

The problem with widescreen monitors is that they are not wide enough. If
they'd been in Panavision you'd be able to tile 2 wordprocessor windows side
by side without loss or usable area, and if they were in Cinemascope you'd
get 2 wordprocessor windows side by side without loss or usable area. What's
more 16:9 is a horrid ratio to watch TV on because the screen ratio feels
completely wrong. It's too wide for the golden ratio and its too narrow for
Panavision so films cropped to fit into it look odd. If you are using it to
play DVD's on then you are going to get black bars at the top and bottom of
the screen irrespective of the screen ratio since Panavision and Cinemascope
are shown at full ratio like they should be and its about time that they
were shown that way on TV too.

Bazzer Smith 07-21-2006 01:10 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I cant see that it matters much given that so few web
>>> pages even attempt to fit on the screen vertically.

>> It is when reading text you have to scroll horizontal ever line,
>> vertically it is only every 20 lines or so.

> OK, but the better browsers fix that horiz scrolling problem.

Such as which browsers?
Do they do the scrolling for you by mindreading or reformat the screen?