Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with burner, burning 8x disc at 4x, Pioneer dvr-k15 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t403122-problem-with-burner-burning-8x-disc-at-4x-pioneer-dvr-k15.html)

stebed@gmail.com 05-30-2006 12:22 PM

Problem with burner, burning 8x disc at 4x, Pioneer dvr-k15

its an 16x burner and an 8x ritek dvd-r but its burning at 4x, its part
of my hp pavillion
8013cl notebook. i was using nero and it would say burning at 8x time
remaining 8 minutes except that when the time ran out the dvd was only
halfway finished and it would take another 8 minutes to complete.. so i
called hp and they told me to use their software 'sonic', so i did, it
gave more detail and showed the burn speed as 2.12x for the first 25%,
4.24x for the second 25%, and then 6x and 8x for the last two
quarters..

i got fed up with the know nothing techs and hung up. in any case,
anyone know what might be causing this? how can i get my burner to burn
a proper 7-8min 8x burn? im using ritek 8x dvd-r's and my lg desktop
burner burns them no problem. thanks!

(if theres a better forum for this question please let me know)

Brian 06-01-2006 03:14 AM

Re: Problem with burner, burning 8x disc at 4x, Pioneer dvr-k15

Below is a excerpt from the Plextor website on operation of CD/DVD drives.
depending on how your drive is classified determines the ACTUAL record/read
speed. The CAV drives are faster at recording but usually drive companies
will classify the CLV drives at the highest speed rating where the laser is
at the innermost tracks thus recording at a faster rate in that location,
This does not mean the entire disk can be recorded at that speed. I believe
this is the problem you are encountering on your recordings. Your overall
record time for 8X speed on a CLV drive is going to be higher than on a CAV
drive. If you need more information check out the FAQ's on the plextor site:
www.plextor.com I hope this helps you.

Two technologies for actually writing on a CD-R or CD-RW (or DVD)disc are
called Constant Angular Velocity (CAV) and Constant Linear Velocity (CLV).
To understand how these work, you first have to know how a CD writing drive
actually gets information onto a CD-R or CD-RW disc.

In a CLV drive, the drive slows down the disk's rotational speed when tracks
near the outer area of the disc are being written, maintaining a steady
write speed over the entire disc and keeping the transfer rate constant. CLV
is the slowest of the write techniques, but is the most accurate-very
important to audio recording in particular.

In a CAV drive, the disk spins at a constant speed, no matter whether the
write head is on a large outer track or a small inner track. This means that
data passes by more quickly as the laser moves farther towards the large
outer track. CAV is a simpler technology, and is generally faster because
the disc speed doesn't change.

Newer technologies improve on CAV and CLV. For instance, some drives use
Partial-Constant Angular Velocity (P-CAV), which is a combination of CAV and
CLV. Still another technology is Zoned CLV (Z-CLV), a method where the drive
changes speed in "zones" to reach the highest recording speed quickly, while
maintaining quality writes.