Velocity Reviews

-   -   Free AV Software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t403076-free-av-software.html)

Fred 05-19-2006 02:32 PM

Free AV Software

Looking for a recommendation for a good free AV software package to
download. Gettting tired of the high fees and bloated SW from the classical
vendors. TIA

Plato 05-19-2006 03:53 PM

Re: Free AV Software

Fred wrote:

> Looking for a recommendation for a good free AV software package to
> download. Gettting tired of the high fees and bloated SW from the classical
> vendors. TIA

http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
anti-virus section

g len 05-19-2006 07:11 PM

Re: Free AV Software

g'day fred,

i've found avg to be reliable and it's free, also heard good things
about avaste.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/gardenlen2/

JTJersey 05-19-2006 08:42 PM

Re: Free AV Software

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:32:59 +0000, Fred wrote:

> Looking for a recommendation for a good free AV software package to
> download. Gettting tired of the high fees and bloated SW from the classical
> vendors. TIA

AVG Free for Windows.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

--
Registered Linux User #267152

dogbreath 05-19-2006 09:46 PM

Re: Free AV Software

On Fri, 19 May 2006 16:42:28 -0400, JTJersey <JT3@Linux.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:32:59 +0000, Fred wrote:
>
>> Looking for a recommendation for a good free AV software package to
>> download. Gettting tired of the high fees and bloated SW from the classical
>> vendors. TIA

>AVG Free for Windows.
>
>http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

I'd vote for AVG too. It stays more in the background than Avast.
With Avast, every time you do something it starts spinning around in
your system tray. Makes me wonder if I did something bad.

dadiOH 05-21-2006 04:41 PM

Re: Free AV Software

dogbreath wrote:

> I'd vote for AVG too. It stays more in the background than Avast.
> With Avast, every time you do something it starts spinning around in
> your system tray. Makes me wonder if I did something bad.

Turn it off if you don't like it. You can dump the systray icon too if you
wish. Both in "Program Settings"

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...