Velocity Reviews

-   -   safe to leave my laptop on all night? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t403057-safe-to-leave-my-laptop-on-all-night.html)

sarah_hastings 05-15-2006 09:53 PM

safe to leave my laptop on all night?

hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

Hanson 05-15-2006 10:51 PM

Re: safe to leave my laptop on all night?

"sarah_hastings" <sarah_hastings@hotmail.co.uk>wrote :

|hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
|all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

Only if it smokes in bed.

olfart 05-15-2006 11:57 PM

"sarah_hastings" <sarah_hastings@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1147729984.961463.50760@u72g2000cwu.googlegro ups.com...
> hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
> all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

leave it on what???

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rnar?= 05-15-2006 11:57 PM

sarah_hastings wrote:
> hi.

Hi,

> is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
> all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

It's very unlikely, given that you don't put it around something that'll
catch on fire easily or without ventilation(say, in your bed or
something where the bedsheets can catch on fire and there's not a lot of
ventilation).

Alex Clayton 05-16-2006 03:58 PM

Re: safe to leave my laptop on all night?

"sarah_hastings" <sarah_hastings@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1147729984.961463.50760@u72g2000cwu.googlegro ups.com...
> hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
> all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

As long as it's free to vent, like on a hard surface it should be fine. I
have had a couple of mine running all night several times when I was doing
some large downloads, like the MS updates.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

Plato 05-16-2006 08:03 PM

sarah_hastings wrote:

> hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
> all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

There is always a chance, but for a laptop, the chance is really low, ie
too low to even worry about.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

dennis meissner 05-18-2006 03:52 PM

Re: safe to leave my laptop on all night?

"sarah_hastings" <sarah_hastings@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1147729984.961463.50760@u72g2000cwu.googlegro ups.com...
> hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
> all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

I have a ibm thinkpad T42 with a docking station at work, leave it on during
the week.

Like the other respondents mentioned, keep your ventilation ports unblocked.

Dennis