Velocity Reviews

-   -   Extending Path Range in Dos Mode (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t403032-extending-path-range-in-dos-mode.html)

Brad 05-10-2006 08:45 PM

Extending Path Range in Dos Mode

Hi,

In Dos mode (Windows shut down), I suspect the reason you can't enter a
directory that is at the end of a long path, is due to a limited amount of
space (that holds your location "path") in the "environment"
(memory used by Dos). As you try to "CD" (change directory),
you will receive an "Invalid Directory" message (normally seen when
you miss-spell the name of a directory). I have found that at the
Dos "prompt", you can enter the directory. In other words, you
have "more range" at the Dos "prompt" than in Dos mode.

Is there a way I can go beyond the long path limit (example:
"WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM~1\....") so I can enter
a directory at the end of a long path in Dos mode (Windows shut down)?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Robert Baer 05-11-2006 07:38 AM

Re: Extending Path Range in Dos Mode

Brad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Dos mode (Windows shut down), I suspect the reason you can't enter a
> directory that is at the end of a long path, is due to a limited amount of
> space (that holds your location "path") in the "environment"
> (memory used by Dos). As you try to "CD" (change directory),
> you will receive an "Invalid Directory" message (normally seen when
> you miss-spell the name of a directory). I have found that at the
> Dos "prompt", you can enter the directory. In other words, you
> have "more range" at the Dos "prompt" than in Dos mode.
>
> Is there a way I can go beyond the long path limit (example:
> "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM~1\....") so I can enter
> a directory at the end of a long path in Dos mode (Windows shut down)?
>
> Thanks in advance, Brad
>
> Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
> be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

In DOS, the first line should start with:
SET COMSPEC=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM
That givs a larger environment space for more (and longer) SET commands.
A more direct way is to use
SHELL==C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM /E:512
where the /E sets the environment space.

Perhaps that will help.