Velocity Reviews

-   -   My broadband connection drops when I use P2P shareaza (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t402916-my-broadband-connection-drops-when-i-use-p2p-shareaza.html)

Kyote 04-12-2006 09:01 PM

My broadband connection drops when I use P2P shareaza

I have a network everywhere 4-port router. I think it may be the cause
of this.

I can start Shareaza and let it run then either goto bed or leave the
room for a few hours. The time difference seems to change. 1 time it
will take almost an entire day for my connection to get lost. Others
only a few hours. But in order to get my connection back I have to
power down my router, wait a few seconds, then power it back up.

Actually, I only think it's my router because this time when it
happened I unplugged my cable modem and waited then plugged it back in
and nothing. Then I did the same for my router and got my connection
back.

What would cause this to happen? How can I resolve the problem?

Besides not using my P2P software I mean.

Tee Jay 04-13-2006 03:02 PM

Re: My broadband connection drops when I use P2P shareaza

Kyote wrote:
> I have a network everywhere 4-port router. I think it may be the cause
> of this.
>
> I can start Shareaza and let it run then either goto bed or leave the
> room for a few hours. The time difference seems to change. 1 time it
> will take almost an entire day for my connection to get lost. Others
> only a few hours. But in order to get my connection back I have to
> power down my router, wait a few seconds, then power it back up.
>
> Actually, I only think it's my router because this time when it
> happened I unplugged my cable modem and waited then plugged it back in
> and nothing. Then I did the same for my router and got my connection
> back.
>
> What would cause this to happen? How can I resolve the problem?
>
> Besides not using my P2P software I mean.

Firmware update for router.
Software update for Shareaza.
reset router and pay attention to the settings as you set router up.
Good Luck
Tee Jay

Duane Arnold 04-13-2006 11:01 PM

"Kyote" <truthowl@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a network everywhere 4-port router. I think it may be the cause
> of this.
>
> I can start Shareaza and let it run then either goto bed or leave the
> room for a few hours. The time difference seems to change. 1 time it
> will take almost an entire day for my connection to get lost. Others
> only a few hours. But in order to get my connection back I have to
> power down my router, wait a few seconds, then power it back up.
>
> Actually, I only think it's my router because this time when it
> happened I unplugged my cable modem and waited then plugged it back in
> and nothing. Then I did the same for my router and got my connection
> back.
>
> What would cause this to happen? How can I resolve the problem?
>
> Besides not using my P2P software I mean.

How long have you had the router?

Has the router been protected properly?

Duane :)

Kyote 04-16-2006 07:46 PM

Re: My broadband connection drops when I use P2P shareaza

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:02:04 -0400, Tee Jay
<terrynospamjoyce@comcast.net> wrote:

>Firmware update for router.
>Software update for Shareaza.
>reset router and pay attention to the settings as you set router up.
> Good Luck
> Tee Jay

Thanks Tee Jay. I did as you recommended and also set up my firewall
to forward to shareaza and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Kyote 04-16-2006 07:55 PM

Re: My broadband connection drops when I use P2P shareaza

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:01:56 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <NotME@NotME.com>
wrote:

>How long have you had the router?
>
>Has the router been protected properly?
>
>Duane :)

I've had it for about 6 months.
What do you mean by protected properly?

-------
Kyote

Duane Arnold 04-16-2006 08:21 PM

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:01:56 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <NotME@NotME.com>
> wrote:
>

>>How long have you had the router?
>>
>>Has the router been protected properly?
>>
>>Duane :)
>>

> I've had it for about 6 months.
> What do you mean by protected properly?

I always protected the router with an UPS.

Duane :)

Kyote 04-20-2006 02:17 AM

Re: My broadband connection drops when I use P2P shareaza

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:21:11 GMT, "Duane Arnold" <NotME@NotME.com>
wrote:

>>>How long have you had the router?
>>>
>>>Has the router been protected properly?
>>>
>>>Duane :)
>>>

>> I've had it for about 6 months.
>> What do you mean by protected properly?

>I always protected the router with an UPS.
>
>Duane :)

Hmmm, you mean a backup power supply. I can't think why I would need
that though... I mean, if the power goes... Please mate, I'm not
trying to be rude or funny, but what would be the point?

By the way, thank you for replying and trying to help me with my
original problem.
-------
Kyote

Duane Arnold 04-20-2006 02:43 AM

Kyote wrote:

>>>I've had it for about 6 months.
>>>What do you mean by protected properly?

>>I always protected the router with an UPS.
>>
>>Duane :)
>>

> Hmmm, you mean a backup power supply. I can't think why I would need
> that though... I mean, if the power goes... Please mate, I'm not
> trying to be rude or funny, but what would be the point?
>
> By the way, thank you for replying and trying to help me with my
> original problem.

A UPS with AVR is a must that keeps the power clean and constant to the
device. It prevents brownouts, protects from spikes and drainage on the
line from household appliances switching on and off. The router likes
clean and constant power and they will go defective if it takes too many
hits.

I had a lot of problems with the router with reboots and some other
things way back when as it took the hits. That all went away after I got
the UPS/AVR, which the wireless router ran strong for 5 years before it
finally died with no more problems due to the UPS/AVR.

My router and now my FW appliance will not be plugged in without an
UPS/AVR system protecting it and other devices like the modem etc, etc
to protect them.

The UPS with AVR is just a little more than some power strip surge
protector plugged into the wall outlet laying on the floor.

Duane :)