Velocity Reviews

-   -   programs crashing, internet lockups? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t402718-programs-crashing-internet-lockups.html)

Uplink 03-07-2006 05:14 AM

programs crashing, internet lockups?

i have my new dell windows xp computer that works really good. but just
recently, after connecting to the internet, just when on the internet
(dial-up) I open IE and it loads Googel and then just freezes. i can
move the mouse and minimize but can't click in IE. in the title bar the
icon for ie goes to a generic program icon.

i am using IE 7 beta 2. when ie is frozen i cannot open any
applications until it magicly un freezes and opens any applications i
clicked on. it does that once everytime i connect to the internet.

after it unlocks i open outlook (not express) and it freezes when
quit.

i have had this problem forever on my laptop and it has really gotten
me mad. i don't know if it's dial-up or what.

also, i installed these applications a little before it happened:
office 2003 standard, pearpc control panel (removed), remote pc
(removed), winddows defender beta 2.

is there any thing i can do to prevent this as i use the internet for
long periods of a time (like 4 hours or longer) and sometime connect
and reconnect.

*it started happening after I started disconnecting then reconnecting
without restarting (even though it shouldn't matter)

bmoag 03-07-2006 03:56 PM

Re: programs crashing, internet lockups?

Try a different browser than IE7 beta 2.
I have been using it without lockups but it is not compatible with some
commonly used java on many commercial web sites. However it has not frozen,
it is merely unable to display that part of the web site.
Although you are supposed to be able to uninstall it I have no idea whether
you will go back to regular IE6 or what files, in Windows fashion, will be
left over from IE7.
Try using the Mozilla or Opera browser and see if your problems improve. IE7
is very much a clone of the Mozilla interface anyway. Plagiarism is the
sincerest form of flattery.
Have you contacted your ISP as cheap dial-up is cheap for a reason.

news:1141708492.564614.122420@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

Uplink 03-07-2006 06:45 PM

Re: programs crashing, internet lockups?

i removed all office and going to reinstall it, it seems that outlook
freezes even after it unlocks. then says that files are corrupted and
should use repair in office 2003. i have a corruped half install of
office 97 and they are in the directory. but i deleted the directory
with both them and will reinstall.

no, it's not something in IE7, it happens on my laptop with IE6 too.
not just java sites, it freezes up usually just have i search google or
go to another website.

it's telus dial-up (fast dial-up client) and it's not really cheap. but
it's just with xp because i had aol and telus on a older windows 98
machine in 1999.

i had adsl on my old computer and there was NEVER a lockup, i'll be
getting adsl soon so it should stop.

does fast-dialup have to do with it maybe? since both computers have
this.

-uplink

(i'm using a public computer that has dsl and it never locks up, but it
has windows 95.

nos1eep 03-07-2006 11:46 PM

Re: programs crashing, internet lockups?

It is further alleged that on or about 7 Mar 2006 10:45:15 -0800, in
alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Uplink" <trav1085@yahoo.ca>
spewed the following:

|i removed all office and going to reinstall it, it seems that outlook
|freezes even after it unlocks. then says that files are corrupted and
|should use repair in office 2003. i have a corruped half install of
|office 97 and they are in the directory. but i deleted the directory
|with both them and will reinstall.
|
|no, it's not something in IE7, it happens on my laptop with IE6 too.
|not just java sites, it freezes up usually just have i search google or
|go to another website.
|
|it's telus dial-up (fast dial-up client) and it's not really cheap. but
|it's just with xp because i had aol and telus on a older windows 98
|machine in 1999.
|
|i had adsl on my old computer and there was NEVER a lockup, i'll be
|getting adsl soon so it should stop.
|
|does fast-dialup have to do with it maybe? since both computers have
|this.

|-uplink

|(i'm using a public computer that has dsl and it never locks up, but it
|has windows 95.

You get dumber everyday, Travis. How goes your school's "Mac attack"?
--

-nos1eep

Uplink 03-08-2006 12:46 AM

Re: programs crashing, internet lockups?

WHAT? THERE WAS NEVER A MAC ATTACK AND THERE WILL NEVER BE A "MAC
ATTACK" EVER!!!!!!! I SAID PUBLIC COMPUTER, AKA IN A PUBLIC PLACE.

I NEVER PLANNED A MAC ATTACK OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT

CAN'T YOU EVER GIVE UP ON SOMETHING THAT NEVER
HAPPENED?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nos1eep 03-08-2006 01:02 AM

Re: programs crashing, internet lockups?

It is further alleged that on or about 7 Mar 2006 16:46:39 -0800, in
alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Uplink" <trav1085@yahoo.ca>
spewed the following:

|WHAT? THERE WAS NEVER A MAC ATTACK AND THERE WILL NEVER BE A "MAC
|ATTACK" EVER!!!!!!! I SAID PUBLIC COMPUTER, AKA IN A PUBLIC PLACE.
|

|I NEVER PLANNED A MAC ATTACK OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT
|

|CAN'T YOU EVER GIVE UP ON SOMETHING THAT NEVER

Foamy! Nice.
--

-nos1eep

Uplink 03-08-2006 02:15 AM

Re: programs crashing, internet lockups?

yes, very f0amy indeed