Velocity Reviews

-   -   Video card issues/questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t402491-video-card-issues-questions.html)

AcidX 01-27-2006 06:05 PM

Video card issues/questions

Heya.

The other day I decided that my PC needed a better video card.
It's been running of the 32mb onboard graphics for ages.

However, before I ran out and bought one, I decided to look through
some old computer parts.

I found this
(http://www.epinions.com/Matrox_Video...ay_~full_specs)
card, which I'd been given a while ago by a friend. Firstly, I'm not
too sure whether this is just a 4mb graphics card, or if that's just
the built in size. It also says 64-bit graphics on the main chip, and I
was wondering whether this means I need a 64-bit machine, or if it's
64mb graphics (or whatever)...

I never actually used it in my old system, and when trying to install
it in this one, windows didn't start up correctly.

My PC booted fine, but then when trying to open the logon screen it
just stayed black and (I think) stopped responding, as the keyboard
wasn't working either. (eg, num lock light, etc)
Is this due to a bios setting, the card, or my PCI slots?

I have had similar issues with my PCI slots before (when trying to
install firewire my PC responded in a very similar way) so in the end,
I just got rid of that card and have been using a special USB cable
ever since. However, the card I threw away was faulty (recieved a shock
or something and got fried)

Basically, I just want to know what this card is capable of and also if
my PCI slots are broken/how to fix them. I'm not too hesitant about
throwing the card away, I got it for free, it'd just give me time to
save up a bit more and buy a few other things if I can use this card.

Thanks =)

Pen 01-27-2006 06:46 PM

Re: Video card issues/questions

"AcidX" <acidecks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1138385103.248278.289220@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Heya.
>
> The other day I decided that my PC needed a better video
> card.
> It's been running of the 32mb onboard graphics for ages.
>
> However, before I ran out and bought one, I decided to
> look through
> some old computer parts.
>
> I found this
> (http://www.epinions.com/Matrox_Video...ay_~full_specs)
> card, which I'd been given a while ago by a friend.
> Firstly, I'm not
> too sure whether this is just a 4mb graphics card, or if
> that's just
> the built in size. It also says 64-bit graphics on the
> main chip, and I
> was wondering whether this means I need a 64-bit machine,
> or if it's
> 64mb graphics (or whatever)...
>
> I never actually used it in my old system, and when trying
> to install
> it in this one, windows didn't start up correctly.
>
> My PC booted fine, but then when trying to open the logon
> screen it
> just stayed black and (I think) stopped responding, as the
> keyboard
> wasn't working either. (eg, num lock light, etc)
> Is this due to a bios setting, the card, or my PCI slots?
>
> I have had similar issues with my PCI slots before (when
> trying to
> install firewire my PC responded in a very similar way) so
> in the end,
> I just got rid of that card and have been using a special
> USB cable
> ever since. However, the card I threw away was faulty
> (recieved a shock
> or something and got fried)
>

> Basically, I just want to know what this card is capable
> of and also if
> my PCI slots are broken/how to fix them. I'm not too
> hesitant about
> throwing the card away, I got it for free, it'd just give
> me time to
> save up a bit more and buy a few other things if I can use
> this card.
>
> Thanks =)

That card is 4MB of video memory only. The data width
has only to do with the on card video processing. The
card has a PCI interface. Did you turn off the built
in graphics in the BIOS?

Sleepy 01-27-2006 07:00 PM

Re: Video card issues/questions

"AcidX" <acidecks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1138385103.248278.289220@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Heya.
>
> The other day I decided that my PC needed a better video card.
> It's been running of the 32mb onboard graphics for ages.
>
> However, before I ran out and bought one, I decided to look through
> some old computer parts.
>
> I found this
> (http://www.epinions.com/Matrox_Video...ay_~full_specs)
> card, which I'd been given a while ago by a friend. Firstly, I'm not
> too sure whether this is just a 4mb graphics card, or if that's just
> the built in size. It also says 64-bit graphics on the main chip, and I
> was wondering whether this means I need a 64-bit machine, or if it's
> 64mb graphics (or whatever)...
>
> I never actually used it in my old system, and when trying to install
> it in this one, windows didn't start up correctly.
>
> My PC booted fine, but then when trying to open the logon screen it
> just stayed black and (I think) stopped responding, as the keyboard
> wasn't working either. (eg, num lock light, etc)
> Is this due to a bios setting, the card, or my PCI slots?
>
> I have had similar issues with my PCI slots before (when trying to
> install firewire my PC responded in a very similar way) so in the end,
> I just got rid of that card and have been using a special USB cable
> ever since. However, the card I threw away was faulty (recieved a shock
> or something and got fried)
>

> Basically, I just want to know what this card is capable of and also if
> my PCI slots are broken/how to fix them. I'm not too hesitant about
> throwing the card away, I got it for free, it'd just give me time to
> save up a bit more and buy a few other things if I can use this card.
>
> Thanks =)

Matrox make cards which have very good image quality for desktop usage but
theyve never been fast cards for gaming. That 4mb refers to the memory on
the card and 64-bit will be the memory inteface. Web browsing, Office
applications etc will run fine on that card but nothing more demanding. As
always when changing cards - uninstall the old drivers - reboot in VGA mode
with the new card fitted then install the new drivers. Make sure you disable
the onboard graphics chip or it'll conflict with the new card.

Pen 01-27-2006 07:04 PM

Re: Video card issues/questions

"AcidX" <acidecks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1138385103.248278.289220@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Heya.
>
> The other day I decided that my PC needed a better video
> card.
> It's been running of the 32mb onboard graphics for ages.
>
> However, before I ran out and bought one, I decided to
> look through
> some old computer parts.
>
> I found this
> (http://www.epinions.com/Matrox_Video...ay_~full_specs)
> card, which I'd been given a while ago by a friend.
> Firstly, I'm not
> too sure whether this is just a 4mb graphics card, or if
> that's just
> the built in size. It also says 64-bit graphics on the
> main chip, and I
> was wondering whether this means I need a 64-bit machine,
> or if it's
> 64mb graphics (or whatever)...
>
> I never actually used it in my old system, and when trying
> to install
> it in this one, windows didn't start up correctly.
>
> My PC booted fine, but then when trying to open the logon
> screen it
> just stayed black and (I think) stopped responding, as the
> keyboard
> wasn't working either. (eg, num lock light, etc)
> Is this due to a bios setting, the card, or my PCI slots?
>
> I have had similar issues with my PCI slots before (when
> trying to
> install firewire my PC responded in a very similar way) so
> in the end,
> I just got rid of that card and have been using a special
> USB cable
> ever since. However, the card I threw away was faulty
> (recieved a shock
> or something and got fried)
>

> Basically, I just want to know what this card is capable
> of and also if
> my PCI slots are broken/how to fix them. I'm not too
> hesitant about
> throwing the card away, I got it for free, it'd just give
> me time to
> save up a bit more and buy a few other things if I can use
> this card.
>
> Thanks =)
>I just re read your post and the Matrox card is probably

a step backwards from the 32 MB built in.

AcidX 01-27-2006 07:15 PM

Re: Video card issues/questions

Heh... Thought that'd be the case.

Now here's a question... Could I get another card I have (GeForce4 MX
420) which is agp 8x to work in my agp 4x slot.
I know it shouldn't work, and probably wont, but if anyone knows
whether nvidia make their card backwards compatible (for some reason)
please tell me ;)

Thanks for all the help guys.

Sleepy 01-27-2006 08:30 PM

news:1138389309.072532.307790@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> Heh... Thought that'd be the case.
>
> Now here's a question... Could I get another card I have (GeForce4 MX
> 420) which is agp 8x to work in my agp 4x slot.
> I know it shouldn't work, and probably wont, but if anyone knows
> whether nvidia make their card backwards compatible (for some reason)
> please tell me ;)
>
> Thanks for all the help guys.

that card will work fine in a 4x slot.

AcidX 01-27-2006 08:57 PM

Re: Video card issues/questions

Ok... I tried it (hadn't uninstalled my current drivers or installed
the ones for that) but the screen had big verticle scanlines (red,
green, blue and white) on, and the display was generally weird.
This also happened during boot (before windows had loaded).

I didn't change my BIOS settings either, that was just a quick test.
Can anyone tell me why, or if it's just because I didn't change any
settings?

If not, I'll just try installing it later ;)

DaveW 01-28-2006 12:18 AM

Re: Video card issues/questions

That old card is incompatible with your newer computer. It is an ancient 4
MB video RAM card. Time to throw it away.

--
DaveW

----------------

Ken Maltby 01-28-2006 01:09 AM

"DaveW" <somewhere@zero.org> wrote in message
> That old card is incompatible with your newer computer. It is an ancient
> 4 MB video RAM card. Time to throw it away.
>
> --
> DaveW

Actually throwing it away might be a mistake, at least as
long as there are PCI slots around. You might need a
check on your AGP or PCIe card, someday. Also, you
might be greatly surprised how much you can do with
such a card. A PCI card can be used while your PCIe
card is "in the shop" or being replaced, an AGP card
wouldn't have a place to plug-in.

Aside from games, there is very little that a 2MB card
can't handle as well as the latest and greatest vid cards.
The OP's card also has some of the basic "Video"/movie
clip acceleration, and could play video streams as well as
most do now. As for games, his 4MG card should handle
plenty of the old standards up to and including "Red Alert"
and "Age of Empires". Can't remember where the "Quake"
cutoff was with the 2MG card I had temporally installed. I
seem to remember "Quake II" running fine, though.

Luck;
Ken

kony 01-28-2006 02:20 AM

Re: Video card issues/questions

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:18:42 -0800, "DaveW"
<somewhere@zero.org> wrote:

>That old card is incompatible with your newer computer. It is an ancient 4
>MB video RAM card. Time to throw it away.

You base this guess upon what, exactly?
There's no reason a brand new state-of-the-art system
couldn't run from an old 4MB PCI card... but then why would
anyone want to do it?