Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sound keeps turning off when XP restarts (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t402328-sound-keeps-turning-off-when-xp-restarts.html)

(Just) Allan 01-01-2006 10:46 PM

Sound keeps turning off when XP restarts

Every time I restart XP, the sound settings disappear and I have to
set it over again. There's a 3D audio icon in the system tray I have
to open, select a picture of all the jacks on the back of the
computer. You click on the color jack the speakers are plugged into
and tell it to set that jack to "Front Speakers".

The onboard sound is by:
C-Media 3D, using audio codec CMI 9880

And the motherboard is:
Gigabyte 8I915P Pro

Anyone got any ideas?

Allan

Brian 01-02-2006 12:44 AM

Re: Sound keeps turning off when XP restarts

Is the jack you are plugged into not for the front speakers by default? If
so try plugging the speakers into the correct one. Another idea is that the
system is not retaining your configuration settings when you restart. Check
for a config file for the sound card and see if it changes between when you
restart and correct the settings, if not that is your issue. You could also
try reinstalling the audio drivers for your system

(Just) Allan 01-02-2006 01:17 AM

Re: Sound keeps turning off when XP restarts

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 18:44:53 -0600, "Brian"
<bds1computer@sio.midco.net> wrote:

>Is the jack you are plugged into not for the front speakers by default? If
>so try plugging the speakers into the correct one.

It's different from what I'm used to, that's for sure. There are no
defaults!? Everything is plug and play - you plug your speakers into
any one of several jacks and a window pops up and asks what you just
plugged into that jack. (Front speaker, back speaker, headphones...)

>Another idea is that the
>system is not retaining your configuration settings when you restart. Check
>for a config file for the sound card and see if it changes between when you
>restart and correct the settings, if not that is your issue. You could also
>try reinstalling the audio drivers for your system.

Not sure where to find such a config file - I do some searching and
try to find it. I guess I'm hoping someone here has the same
motherboard and has come across the same problem. (I hate learning
curves.) ; p

Thanks - anyone else with suggestions?

Allan