Velocity Reviews

-   -   Laptop HDD upgrade (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t402299-laptop-hdd-upgrade.html)

Michael Brown 12-28-2005 04:03 AM

Laptop HDD upgrade

What is the best way to safely "clone" a laptop hard drive? I'm trying to
install a larger drive and don't want to start over from scratch. Is there
a way? I've tried Ghost, and it seemed to go sucessfully, but when it was
time to install and restart, it never worked. I've had no problems doing
this on desktop drives.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Michael Brown 12-31-2005 04:22 AM

Re: Laptop HDD upgrade

Can it be done? Anyone?

Thanksm
Michael

bambam 12-31-2005 05:16 AM

Re: Laptop HDD upgrade

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:22:16 -0500, Michael Brown wrote:

> "Michael Brown" <mcrunner1@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> What is the best way to safely "clone" a laptop hard drive? I'm trying to
>> install a larger drive and don't want to start over from scratch. Is
>> there a way? I've tried Ghost, and it seemed to go sucessfully, but when
>> it was time to install and restart, it never worked. I've had no problems
>> doing this on desktop drives.

> Can it be done? Anyone?

I recently had a similar situation to yours. After a bit of study I
decided to get a 2.5 to 3.5 hdd adaptor-

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

Then you can work in the desktop environment that you know and trust. :)

Michael Brown 12-31-2005 04:01 PM

Re: Laptop HDD upgrade

Thanks, I'll try that.

Mike

news:pan.2005.12.31.05.16.55.440010@sneakemail.com ...

Michael Brown 12-31-2005 07:23 PM

Re: Laptop HDD upgrade

I've found something that may just work just as I need. It's called Casper
XP. I'm downloading the trial version that is fully functional, but does
not support drive resizing. At lest I'll know if it will work, then can get
the full version which does.

Erick Pratt 01-02-2006 02:36 PM

Re: Laptop HDD upgrade

What I use here in the shop is Norton Ghost. It creates a bootable
floppy/CDROM. However, since you cannot connect 2 laptop hard drives into a
laptop simultaneously, you would still need to get a 2.5-3.5 adapter (only 1
of first cl;oning to a dkestop hard drive, 2 if going directly from laptop
drive to laptop drive). Of course, you will need to use a desktop PC. Just
make sure you are cloning from the proper source to the proper destination,
as goign the wrong way is not reversable.

Michael Brown 01-27-2006 02:06 AM

Re: Laptop HDD upgrade

Yup, Casper XP worked like a charm. No problems at all.

Mike