Velocity Reviews

-   -   System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t402286-system-hangs-a-bit-before-windows-xp-load-screen-appears.html)

Ernest 12-24-2005 01:51 PM

System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

Hi, I have this problem occure right after a new system build and a
reinstall of Windows XP pro. My system specs are:
Abit NF8-V Pro w/
1 GB DDR 400
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ATI 9600 XT 256 mb DDR
an old 60 GB HDD

I've already built the system, and continued to install XP. I already
partitioned the drives previously into 3 drives: a boot partition and
two extra partitions (for backup purposes). I reinstalled XP on the
boot partition, and installs successfully (I think). After the
installing NForce drivers (The first thing I did), it required a
restart. After POST, the system hangs, just a black screen. Then, after
a brief moment, the XP loading screen appears, and continues on with
the start up. I'm very much stuck on this, and would like to solve this
hanging problem without reinstalling XP. One step I've taken is convert
the disk to a dynamic disk, because the boot partition, with a basic
disk, is an extended partition of one of the extra partitions (not
really a fan of extended drives). What do I need to do?

Thanks.
Ernest

nos1eep 12-24-2005 02:23 PM

Re: System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

On 24 Dec 2005 05:51:57 -0800, "Ernest" <emombay@gmail.com> spewed
the following drivel:

<
[...]

I would say that the system is stuttering on the drivers.
Check to make sure you did not force feed the system 64 bit drivers,
unless, of course, you are running WindowsXP 64.
Check Device manager to make sure all is installed properly and there
are no yellow !
The dynamic disk is a mistake. If you reinstall or reformat your OS
partition, you will not be able to access the rest of the disk.
If this computer came into my shop, I would start over and just
partition it to logical drives, eventually the dynamic disk will make
your life complicated.
--

-nos1eep

Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.

-Scaling up the heights of folly.
-non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate

Ernest 12-26-2005 10:28 PM

Re: System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yea your right about the dynamic drives, found it the hard way... But
now, I've isolated the problem as the Nvidia chipset drivers. Without
it, my system runs perfectly. Specifically, just the IDE controller and
GART drivers. Wonder why

Thanks alot

nos1eep 12-26-2005 11:20 PM

Re: System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

It is further alleged that on or about 26 Dec 2005 14:28:41 -0800, in
alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Ernest" <emombay@gmail.com>
spewed the following:

|Hey, thanks for the reply.
|
|Yea your right about the dynamic drives, found it the hard way... But
|now, I've isolated the problem as the Nvidia chipset drivers. Without
|it, my system runs perfectly. Specifically, just the IDE controller and
|GART drivers. Wonder why
|
|Thanks alot

Did you install XP pro or XP pro x64? Did you install 32bit or 64 bit
drivers?
--

-nos1eep

Ernest 12-27-2005 11:11 PM

Re: System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

Forgot to say... sorry
I use XP pro, and I did not install the AMD drivers.

nos1eep 12-28-2005 12:17 AM

Re: System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

It is further alleged that on or about 27 Dec 2005 15:11:55 -0800, in
alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Ernest" <emombay@gmail.com>
spewed the following:

|Forgot to say... sorry
|I use XP pro, and I did not install the AMD drivers.

Well, then do it, install the drivers that came with the board. You
won't get very far without the drivers, that is why they include them.
--

-nos1eep

Ernest 12-28-2005 08:04 PM

Re: System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

Ive read many entries that the IDE drivers make the system slower,
actually. So I'll stick w/o the nVidia drivers. I also don't think i
need the AMD drivers... I don't need to use its extra feature

nos1eep 12-28-2005 11:01 PM

Re: System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

It is further alleged that on or about 28 Dec 2005 12:04:54 -0800, in

Whatever, I'll put you on the ****wit list.
--

-nos1eep