Velocity Reviews

-   -   SP2 installation problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t402148-sp2-installation-problems.html)

Ttopref 11-28-2005 04:30 PM

SP2 installation problems

Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive and
everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP Pro
and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the Windows
Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just short
of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
Can anyone shed any light on this please?

JTJersey 11-28-2005 04:48 PM

Re: SP2 installation problems

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:30:43 +0000, Ttopref wrote:

> Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive and
> everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
> updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP Pro
> and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the Windows
> Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
> download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
> re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just short
> of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
> Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Did you do a system capatability check before installing SP2? There could
be a problem there.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Topref 11-28-2005 04:54 PM

"JTJersey" <JT3@anotherlinuxmachine.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:30:43 +0000, Ttopref wrote:
>
>> Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive
>> and
>> everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
>> updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP
>> Pro
>> and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the
>> Windows
>> Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
>> download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
>> re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just
>> short
>> of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
>> Can anyone shed any light on this please?

> Did you do a system capatability check before installing SP2? There could
> be a problem there.
> --
> Registered Linux User #267152

Thanks for the prompt reply. No I didn't do a check but I'm 99% certain that
when I last did an install, I did install SP2 on top and it worked fine.

bmoag 11-28-2005 05:22 PM

Re: SP2 installation problems

I sympathize as I have also experienced computer destruction at the hands of
Norton. I will never use Norton/Symantec products again.
If you cannot boot into safe mode you have big, big problems. Fortunately
you backed up all your data prior to your last install?
I have never found a reliable way around this issue, although there may be
one out there, other than a reinstall. There may be a way to edit the
registry, the win.ini and sys.ini files using the console but it would just
be faster to reinstall the OS anyway.
If you elect to try to "fix" your current XP installation you will just
reinstall XP prior to SP2 again so you might as well
delete/reformat/reinstall.
If SP2 has worked before on this computer previously, and it should, then
something happened to screw up the SP2 download or installation. Endless
reboot loops can be caused by hardware failure, however, particularly memory
(modules or motherboard) and hard drive.

tehball 11-28-2005 05:48 PM

Re: SP2 installation problems

So if I read this right, you went online with just XP, unpatched, no
anti virus software. Unless you are sitting behind a router then you
can pretty much count on getting any number of virus and or trojans.

I read a review once that stated an unpatched XP machine connected to
the internet with no antivirus and no router will be compromised in
less than 10 minutes.

Do your self a favour. Find a way to download SP2 and burn it to CD.
Unplug you internet connection. Install XP clean install. Install SP2.
Install antivirus. Update anti virus definitions. Update Winows
security patches.

Even after all that, go and spend $20 to $30 on a router for extra
protection.

Fakename 11-29-2005 01:27 AM

Re: SP2 installation problems

I'd like to play devil's advocate for a second, sort of.

I hate Norton Anti Virus (except Enterprise version 7.6 which I use in
production with no problems) but there are other symantec products that
kick ass, namely Ghost. Ghost kicks ass. Gdisk kicks ass too.

/just sayin

JTJersey 11-29-2005 01:32 AM

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:54:39 +0000, Topref wrote:

> "JTJersey" <JT3@anotherlinuxmachine.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:30:43 +0000, Ttopref wrote:
>>
>>> Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my
>>> drive and
>>> everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows
>>> XP updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was
>>> Windows XP Pro
>>> and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the
>>> Windows
>>> Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
>>> download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
>>> re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just
>>> short
>>> of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same
>>> result. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

>> Did you do a system capatability check before installing SP2? There
>> could be a problem there.
>> --
>> Registered Linux User #267152
>>

> Thanks for the prompt reply. No I didn't do a check but I'm 99% certain
> that when I last did an install, I did install SP2 on top and it worked
> fine.

At this point I'd suggest starting at square one again. Reinstall clean,
load AVG Free Antivirus ( http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 )
and go get your Windows updates. Do a defrag at some point before you
drop SP2 into the mix and run error checking for your hard drive while
your at it too. Assuming you have a legitimate license for your WinXP
version, the Microsoft certification should go cleanly and your system
should boot correctly.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

Reggy 11-29-2005 05:49 AM

Ttopref wrote:

> Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive and
> everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
> updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP Pro
> and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the Windows
> Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
> download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
> re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just short
> of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
> Can anyone shed any light on this please?

do a bootable floppy , clean the hd0 disk from a dos prompt with fdisk
/mbr and reboot , if still unstable then do a install cdboot and follow
the instruction until its done a restore , then down load avast and
download the corp sp2 onto a cd , install avast and scan then sp2 . good
luck and get back to us

tehball 11-29-2005 01:41 PM

Reggy wrote:
> Ttopref wrote:
>
> > Due to a corrupted Nortons anti-virus program, I had to format my drive and
> > everything went well until I decided to go on-line to download Windows XP
> > updates. At this point, the only thing on the hard drive was Windows XP Pro
> > and the broadband connection settings. I made several visits to the Windows
> > Update area and downloaded what was recommended. My last visit was to
> > download SP2. It took ages but eventually it was installed. I tried
> > re-booting and all my Pc would do is continually re-boot. It fell just short
> > of the log-in screen each time. Tried booting in safe mode - same result.
> > Can anyone shed any light on this please?
> >

> do a bootable floppy , clean the hd0 disk from a dos prompt with fdisk
> /mbr and reboot ,

What kind of boot disk? Win 98? DOS? Good luck getting that to work on
an NTFS partition

if still unstable then do a install cdboot and follow the instruction
until its done a restore ,

Like I said, chances are he has a virus. Retore aint going to do ****
for that. This is a new install gone bad. Blow it away and start
again.

then down load avast and download the corp sp2 onto a cd , install
avast and scan then sp2 .

So you are telling him to go online again with an unpatched system.
Great. Welcome to the **** hitting the fan all over again.

Ttopre, just do as I suggested above. Do not plug in you internet
connection untill you have installed SP2 and antivirus. If you have to
go to another computer to download it, then do so. You don't even need
to open IE or surf with an unsecure system to get a virus. Just
plugging in the cat5 is an open invitation.