Velocity Reviews

-   -   Memory draining when on internet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t402106-memory-draining-when-on-internet.html)

John 11-20-2005 02:30 PM

Memory draining when on internet

Help with memory loss problem please,
when connected I am losing memory at the rate of approximately 1Mb every 10
seconds and when in use have to reboot about every 2 hours

Using
Wanadoo broadband 576 kb

System
XP sp2
Athlon XP 2600+
Epox 8KRA2 motherboard
1.5 Gb DDR DIMM memory ( 1 x 1 GB + 1 x 500 MB ) all PC 2700

Have recently replaced a 500 MB memory chip with the 1 Gb chip

If I do not go on the internet I can run all day with no problem but as soon
as I connect , even with no applications like internet explorer running, the
drain starts,
I am checking this using Norton system doctor with 'PM free' sensor which
tells me I have 1166 MB of free memory on start up.
My start ups are at the bare minimum

Is this a common situation or is there something I can do to improve my
system
Any advice will be welcome and appreciated
Thanks in advance

Duane Arnold 11-20-2005 08:54 PM

Re: Memory draining when on internet

"John" <john@jeo2.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in

> Help with memory loss problem please,
> when connected I am losing memory at the rate of approximately 1Mb
> every 10 seconds and when in use have to reboot about every 2 hours
>
> Using
> Wanadoo broadband 576 kb
>
> System
> XP sp2
> Athlon XP 2600+
> Epox 8KRA2 motherboard
> 1.5 Gb DDR DIMM memory ( 1 x 1 GB + 1 x 500 MB ) all PC 2700
>
> Have recently replaced a 500 MB memory chip with the 1 Gb chip
>
> If I do not go on the internet I can run all day with no problem but
> as soon as I connect , even with no applications like internet
> explorer running, the drain starts,
> I am checking this using Norton system doctor with 'PM free' sensor
> which tells me I have 1166 MB of free memory on start up.
> My start ups are at the bare minimum
>
> Is this a common situation or is there something I can do to improve
> my system
> Any advice will be welcome and appreciated
> Thanks in advance

It seems to me that if the machine is loosing memory when connected to
the Internet, then something is running on the machine when connected.
Not saying it's malware but something maybe running that's hidden to you.

You can look around with the proper tools like PE and other tools in the
link.

You go to Menu/Tools show lower pane/show all dll(s) and PE will show
everything running with a process when you click on one. You can right-
click/Properties in the upper and lower panes.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,23780,00.asp

Long

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...jan_Horses_and
_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

Short

http://tinyurl.com/klw1

Duane :)

Brian 11-22-2005 01:10 AM