Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless connection keeps disconnecting ??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t401964-wireless-connection-keeps-disconnecting.html)

Tripletmomplus2 10-17-2005 06:42 PM

Wireless connection keeps disconnecting ???

Good afternoon all, for about 2 years now, I've had a wireless connection to
my husband's pc in the other room without any issues. Now for some reason
I keep getting disconnected. It doesn't happen all the time, but sure is
frustrating. We thought maybe the kids Game Cube was the problem, but now
I'm not sure.
Could someone have started to use something in the neighborhood that could
be interfering with my connection? Any idea's are welcome please.
Thanks

Donna/Indiana

Duane Arnold 10-17-2005 06:57 PM

Re: Wireless connection keeps disconnecting ???

"Tripletmomplus2" <markswis@gte.net> wrote in

> Good afternoon all, for about 2 years now, I've had a wireless
> connection to my husband's pc in the other room without any issues.
> Now for some reason I keep getting disconnected. It doesn't happen all
> the time, but sure is frustrating. We thought maybe the kids Game Cube
> was the problem, but now I'm not sure.
> Could someone have started to use something in the neighborhood that
> could be interfering with my connection? Any idea's are welcome
> please. Thanks

Someone could have another wireless setup in your area that's close
enough that if you're using the XP O/S and Wireless Zero Configuration
service is active on the computer, it could make the computer roam trying
to connect to another wireless network dropping your connection.

Duane :)

Tripletmomplus2 10-17-2005 07:10 PM

Re: Wireless connection keeps disconnecting ???

Ok, I'm using O/S XP how would I go about fixing the problem? Or is there a
way?
Thanks

Duane Arnold 10-18-2005 01:15 AM

> Ok, I'm using O/S XP how would I go about fixing the problem? Or is
> there a way?
> Thanks

Well I am not going to say it will fix your problem it could be something
else. But it's a shot.

What you do is download the card's driver from its site. You go to
Services on the machine use Google or the Windows O/S Help and find out
how to get to Services screen and you disable the Wireless Zero
Configuration service by right-clicking and stopping the service and
disable the service so that it doesn't start again on a re-boot of the
computer.

You use the Device Manger on the O/S and again use Google or the O/S Help
to find the Device Manager. You then find the card and right-
click/Properties and install the cards driver at that point. Then off of
the Advanced tab there, you can configure the card for wireless just like
you did with the card's utility to configure it. Don't use the card's
utility anymore uninstall it as you don't need it.

If you want to see the card's signal strength, then go to Control
Panel/Network connections or local NWC and find the ICON for the card's
connection and right-click/Properties and enable *Show network connection
Icon", which will put and icon with two monitors next to the computer
clock showing on bottom right of the desktop screen. You can mouse over
the network icon that will show you the signal strength.

My wireless connection on XP was dropping due to other wireless networks
in the area and that's what I did to circumvent the problem and the
wireless connection was solid after that.

Duane :)