Velocity Reviews

-   -   tough task (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t401826-tough-task.html)

Dicky 09-11-2005 02:37 AM

tough task

I'm not sure this is the correct group to post to but I am planning to put
all of our training aids onto a separate server at work so they can be
accessed and viewed from user's desktops. They are on a separate desktop now
that people have to come to to view. There are videos, powerpoints, and a
few exe.s that run a test after viewing then deposit the data into an access
database. I am thinking if I run this on a separate server, I can lock it
down tight and use the logon to allow read and execute to the files only. I
am planning to use a browser window linked to our webpage to display the
menu of links to the videos and courses. I have some VB and Java programming
experience but am kindof rusty and unsure about how i should proceed. Any
advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks are any
knowledge you can share.

Duane Arnold 09-11-2005 05:06 AM

Re: tough task

"Dicky" <bumbleflug@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:_LMUe.2420$JN5.237@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com :

> I'm not sure this is the correct group to post to but I am planning to
> put all of our training aids onto a separate server at work so they
> can be accessed and viewed from user's desktops. They are on a
> separate desktop now that people have to come to to view. There are
> videos, powerpoints, and a few exe.s that run a test after viewing
> then deposit the data into an access database. I am thinking if I run
> this on a separate server, I can lock it down tight and use the logon
> to allow read and execute to the files only. I am planning to use a
> browser window linked to our webpage to display the menu of links to
> the videos and courses. I have some VB and Java programming experience
> but am kindof rusty and unsure about how i should proceed. Any advice
> or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks are any
> knowledge you can share.

What? Get one of thoses books for Dummies and then ask one of your WEB
people at work to help you out.

Duane :)

Dicky 09-14-2005 12:51 AM

Re: tough task

Very knowledgeable. Thanks for the input.