Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cheaper heatsink compound. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t401677-cheaper-heatsink-compound.html)

Donald McTrevor 08-08-2005 07:47 PM

Cheaper heatsink compound.

I am a bit miffed that I had to pay 2.40 for three small blob
sized packets of heatsink compound, particularly as the
processosr only cost me 1.50 inc P&P.

Also I saw a CPU fan with some included compound for
4, unfortunatly it was for socket A not socket 7

Is there anything else I could have used instead, some
simple household product?

I was wondering about some aluminimum foil for a moment.

Piece of chewing gum?

Fakename 08-08-2005 08:43 PM

Re: Cheaper heatsink compound.

Most of the reason it's expensive is the quantity in which you buy it.
If you go to an industrial supply store you can probably get something
that will work just as well, or better, by the litre for a fraction of
the X/unit cost.

I've never tested this theory, I just know that a friend of mine, a
machinist, put a bunch of super conductive goop on my car's battery
posts one time. He was a cheap bastard to I know it couldn't have cost
him more than a couple of bucks. But that much heatsink compound would
have cost a bunch...

Donald McTrevor 08-08-2005 10:08 PM

Re: Cheaper heatsink compound.

Yes I know its the economies of scale, it's hardly worth a shop
stocking a product under 1 unless it sells them by the bucket load.
Just annoys me that I am probably paying 100 times more
than it costs them to produce!!!

I am just sure there is probably product I have lying around the house,
or in the garage which would have done an adaquate job.
I was thinking maybe radiator paint, which is obviously heat
resistant, but I just checked and it doesn't conduct electricity,
so probably not heat either. (oddly).

bambam 08-09-2005 12:56 AM

Re: Cheaper heatsink compound.

"Donald McTrevor" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:7FOJe.19774$Aw4.15386
@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

> I am a bit miffed that I had to pay 2.40 for three small blob
> sized packets of heatsink compound, particularly as the
> processosr only cost me 1.50 inc P&P.
>
> Also I saw a CPU fan with some included compound for
> 4, unfortunatly it was for socket A not socket 7
>
> Is there anything else I could have used instead, some
> simple household product?
>
> I was wondering about some aluminimum foil for a moment.
>
> Piece of chewing gum?

Vegemite or toothpaste? ;o)

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm