Velocity Reviews

-   -   De-frag / Scandisk problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t401664-de-frag-scandisk-problems.html)

KJAYW 08-06-2005 09:26 PM

De-frag / Scandisk problems

Hi

I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

Thanks

KJAYW

k35454 08-07-2005 03:39 AM

Re: De-frag / Scandisk problems

"KJAYW" <kjayw@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:yW9Je.122485$Pf3.101063@fe2.news.blueyonder.c o.uk...
Hi

I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

Thanks

KJAYW

Try in Safe Mode. k35454.

Kenny 08-07-2005 06:30 AM

Re: De-frag / Scandisk problems

Try both in Safe Mode.

--

Kenny Cargill

k35454 08-07-2005 05:12 PM

Re: De-frag / Scandisk problems

But do Scandisk FIRST. k35454.
"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
Try both in Safe Mode.

Plato 08-08-2005 07:11 AM

KJAYW wrote:

> I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
> operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
> 'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

What size HDD?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Capt. KillaHo 08-15-2005 08:38 PM

Re: De-frag / Scandisk problems

"KJAYW" <kjayw@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:yW9Je.122485$Pf3.101063@fe2.news.blueyonder.c o.uk...
> Hi
>
> I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
> operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
> 'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.
>
> Thanks
>
> KJAYW

Before you defrag make sure you hit control+alt+delete and close out any
running programs except "explore". Make sure you shut off your screen saver
too, any program that kicks in while your are defraging (ex.screensaver)
will reset your back to the start.