Velocity Reviews

-   -   Netscape Port Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t401633-netscape-port-problem.html)

fudge 07-29-2005 02:03 PM

Netscape Port Problem

I just signed up for Netscape dial up service with accelerator in Eastern
Ontario. Download speed is much improved over my noisy telephone line. At
first, data speed would slow down, stop and then the line would disconnect.
The Netscape Help desk said there was a problem with port assignments. The
accelerator program, Norton Anti Virus and a stock ticker site ,
http://new.stockwatch.com/swnet/default.aspx, all share the same port
address. Sure enough, if I run the stock ticker page with the accelerator
enabled, the fault persists. Looks like a port address or two will have to
change. When I key in CONT/ALT DELETE, I am able to see the programs
running and could selectivey disable any including posible virus' or Trojan
horses.I need a solution. I also get random disconnects. When I told the
Help desk goon I was running Win ME there was and unrepeatable comment on
the line.

Farmer John

Robert Baer 07-29-2005 06:41 PM

Re: Netscape Port Problem

fudge wrote:

> I just signed up for Netscape dial up service with accelerator in Eastern
> Ontario. Download speed is much improved over my noisy telephone line. At
> first, data speed would slow down, stop and then the line would disconnect.
> The Netscape Help desk said there was a problem with port assignments. The
> accelerator program, Norton Anti Virus and a stock ticker site ,
> http://new.stockwatch.com/swnet/default.aspx, all share the same port
> address. Sure enough, if I run the stock ticker page with the accelerator
> enabled, the fault persists. Looks like a port address or two will have to
> change. When I key in CONT/ALT DELETE, I am able to see the programs
> running and could selectivey disable any including posible virus' or Trojan
> horses.I need a solution. I also get random disconnects. When I told the
> Help desk goon I was running Win ME there was and unrepeatable comment on
> the line.
>
> Farmer John

Well, WinME is reliable in certain conditions, and a f*cking POS
(being polite) in other conditions.
WinME seems to be reliable IF AND ONLY IF it is installed on a
totally "clean" hard drive.
If WinME is installed as a "replacement" or "upgrade", then one has a
computer that is worse than useless.
Many people working in the industry, especially those working on help
desks hear only the bad results concerning WinME and their reaction is
totally justified.